Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you believe in little green men?

Do you believe in aliens? (Or whatever you might call them.)

• Yes. Definitely something out there.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. Complete Hogwash!

• Undecided. The jury is still out.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Little Green Men?

"Life's too short for cheap booze."

:)

Seriously, I'm with Charleton Heston in POTA:

"Somewhere out there , there has to be something better than man. Has to be."

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Nope, not a bit. I won't believe in them little spacemen until a real not-from-this-planet flying saucer lands on my backyard. Absence of evidence is evidence of absence, that's what I always say.

cgab1

One of the Regulars
Last year a friend of mine, his wife and two of his buddies were fishing in Louisiana. They saw a bright light coming out of the sky and all four of them were rendered unconscious for 8 hours. None of them believed in UFOs prior to this now they are not so sure. My friend and his wife are now in therapy because of this incident. Their view of reality has been altered and they are having trouble dealing with it.They are not flakey, either, they are very well respected in the community.

cgab

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I find the message at Arecibo particularly compelling. :eek:
Not the work of a couple of yahoos with a rope and a wooden plank.:rolleyes:
Too many other complex messages also printed on the ground all over the world that we have yet to decode, as well as other phenomena and eye witnesses.

RIOT

Practically Family
My answer to the poll was no. I have a theory to this whole thing but let's save that for another day when I'm alert and not boozed up.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Why the Long Drive?

First, I'm of the mind that, mathematically speaking, I don't think it's possible for there to not be life on other planets, however advanced or primitive. I just think that they, like us, don't have the technology to travel outside of their own solar system and survive it. So, I'm a bit of a skeptic regarding actual, physical contact.

That being said; if they have the technology to receive our transmissions, don't you think they'd have the technology to send one back? Do they really travel thousands of light years to leave a message in a field, using less than archaic farming methods, because their telecommunications technology is one-sided? (And if humans can send a message through space and post it on the Internet, we can certainly stomp it into a field.) How do they communicate on their own world; do they respond to an over-the-air message by sending a letter? (Note to little green men: put a receiver and a transmitter at both ends.)

Also, if they were here, why didn't they stop in and say hello to someone? Anyone? (Bring your nets, guys. I have some neigbors I'd be happy to allow you to abduct.) It seems to me that whenever one is traveling they make arrangements to meet up with family and friends - look at the number of times here in the Lounge that we announce our travel plans in the hopes of meeting fellow Loungers. I wouldn't mind if an alien came to my door, even unannounced, and introduced himself: "Hi. I'm Gleeb. Did you get my letter?"

Or are they pathologically shy?

Lee

"If the Martians land, the're gonna need a place to stay. Just like everybody else." - Art Land, Mars Attacks.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
MrNewportCustom said:
First, I'm of the mind that, mathematically speaking, I don't think it's possible for there to not be life on other planets, however advanced or primitive. I just think that they, like us, don't have the technology to travel outside of their own solar system and survive it. So, I'm a bit of a skeptic regarding actual, physical contact.

That being said; if they have the technology to receive our transmissions, don't you think they'd have the technology to send one back? Do they really travel thousands of light years to leave a message in a field, using less than archaic farming methods, because their telecommunications technology is one-sided? (And if humans can send a message through space and post it on the Internet, we can certainly stomp it into a field.) How do they communicate on their own world; do they respond to an over-the-air message by sending a letter? (Note to little green men: put a receiver and a transmitter at both ends.)
Our transmissions travel out into space at the speed of light. If they used similar means to communicate, their transmissions would be limited to the speed limit of the universe, that of light.
Maybe they have a mode of travel that transcends the physical limitations of our own primitive form of space travel, and so it is faster to just travel here and leave a message? [huh]

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I am in the frame of mind that "aliens" are on their planet, doing basically the same things that we are doing at this moment.

The universe is to large, infinate, for us to be the only sentenient beings in it. I had this conversation with my oldest daughter not to long ago, I can't recall why. If God, in all his/her wisdom and power made one world, why would s/he not make another? Science also shows that back in the beginning of our world, there was only micro organisms/bacteria etc. And now we have humans. And there are micro oranisms on planets in our own system. So why would there not be something furthor beyond where we have seen?

But back to the first statement. I think that they are on their own worlds, working, playing, procreating. Stressing out over their computers malfunctioning, bills they have to pay, grades, vacations, family members not getting along. Etc.

Lets not forget, to them we are the "aliens".
[huh]

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
pretty faythe said:
I am in the frame of mind that "aliens" are on their planet, doing basically the same things that we are doing at this moment.

The universe is to large, infinate, for us to be the only sentenient beings in it. I had this conversation with my oldest daughter not to long ago, I can't recall why. If God, in all his/her wisdom and power made one world, why would s/he not make another? Science also shows that back in the beginning of our world, there was only micro organisms/bacteria etc. And now we have humans. And there are micro oranisms on planets in our own system. So why would there not be something furthor beyond where we have seen?

But back to the first statement. I think that they are on their own worlds, working, playing, procreating. Stressing out over their computers malfunctioning, bills they have to pay, grades, vacations, family members not getting along. Etc.

Lets not forget, to them we are the "aliens".
[huh]
Sounds like you've been watching those Twilight Zones again. :)

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
When news about of crop circles first began circulating, their precision, time of occurrence, and sheer magnitude made them seem unlikely to be man-made - but then, some time later, evidence was brought forth "proving" some of them were hoaxes. I tend to believe most of the crop circles and this one especially are too precise and arcane to be man made.
I have never seen any little green men, but then again many things both historical and contemporary fall into that category. Nonetheless, because others have seen and recorded and/or reported them, I believe they exist. That same logic applies to ET aliens: others have seen them, recorded them, and reported evidence of them so why not? Sure, some of those people are charlatans and con artists just as some highly respected experts are charlatans and con artists, but all of them? Now that seems preposterous.

What are even more intriguing than ET aliens are our own indigenous aliens like those of the Findhorn experience. How can we who have reached beyond our planetary boundaries even before having achieved a balance and communication with other entities who share this planet presume to be the only life forms to have extended themselves beyond their own planetary boundaries?

On a related note, there is (or was) a theory that our collective consciousness is being (or has been) manipulated so as to accept aliens. For instance, there was a Twilight Zone episode (whose title I cannot recall right now) where some bad aliens were neutralized by the good people of a small town. As the epilogue was spoken, the "good people" were revealed to be aliens. The message: aliens are and have always been among us unobtrusively protecting us from the really bad aliens of the universe. There are people who believe that episodes such as that one, the Star Trek series, Kubrik's 2001: A Space Odyssey, etc were all part of a plan to manipulate mankind's consciousness.
Is anyone else remembering the "To Serve Man" episode of The Twilight Zone?

Steve

Practically Family
I often find it hard to believe that this little fellow isn't in the walls of my house somewhere...

bugs-n-gremlin.jpg

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Our transmissions travel out into space at the speed of light. If they used similar means to communicate, their transmissions would be limited to the speed limit of the universe, that of light.
Maybe they have a mode of travel that transcends the physical limitations of our own primitive form of space travel, and so it is faster to just travel here and leave a message? [huh]

Let's suppose they're holed up on Venus, as is a possibility endorsed by the article you supplied. (Thank you, Nick. :)) The distance from Venus to Earth is approximately 67,237,910 miles. The speed of light is 299,792,458 m/s. Let us assume that our little green friends leave home at 11:59:38 P.M. Daylight Savings Time. Total trip to Earth, not counting packing the kids and their juice boxes, various crop stomping paraphernalia and stopping at the moon so the kids can pee, comes to 22 seconds at light speed, one way.

Then there's the time it'll take to actually land, unpack, set up the midnight picnic and stomp the crop in question. Return trip, minus turning around at the moon because they left junior behind is another 22 seconds. Yeah, I can see reason to fire up the antimatter reactors to shave a few seconds for the benefit of getting ones message delivered in a more timely manner. But, then, no one on Earth reads their crops before dawn.

They might as well just phone it in. lol

Lee

Starcruiser extrordinaire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic