Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do You Consider Yourself To Be An Artist?

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
Worked as an illustrator for two years fulltime, my avatar is a quick example.
I've done plenty of theatre and I'm working toward an English BA, figure I'll be a teacher with eccentric fashion the students can mock or admire as they choose.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I started out in life wanting to be a cartoonist -- and while I did get a few things published locally, I ended up getting tired of the permanent ink stains on my fingers -- so I became a writer instead. Most of what I write is strictly commercial and not art at all -- but I guess there might be still be a bit of art in crafting a clever turn of phrase.

I also dabbled in acting -- community theatre stuff and even a bit of radio acting -- but there's not much call for actors around here, so I let that go too.

I do still draw occasionally, making birthday cards for friends and the like, but that's about the extent of it. So I guess I'm sort of an artist in a might-have-been way...

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
I started out in life wanting to be a cartoonist -- and while I did get a few things published locally, I ended up getting tired of the permanent ink stains on my fingers -- so I became a writer instead. Most of what I write is strictly commercial and not art at all -- but I guess there might be still be a bit of art in crafting a clever turn of phrase.

I also dabbled in acting -- community theatre stuff and even a bit of radio acting -- but there's not much call for actors around here, so I let that go too.

I do still draw occasionally, making birthday cards for friends and the like, but that's about the extent of it. So I guess I'm sort of an artist in a might-have-been way...

Oh come on,...just admit it! You are! lol

Polyhistor

Familiar Face
Am I an artist? I don´t think so.
An artistic personality? Guess so.
I seem to have various talents, but I must admit I´m lazy when it comes to honing my skills, which is kinda sad. :eek:

The only things artistic I´m halfways serious about are writing and music (since some of the others posted links to their works, I figured it´s okay if I too do so: murmur.blogr.com/ - it´s just simple demos though).

Regards, A.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I guess I consider myself to be. I've worked as a newspaper photographer most of my career, but I really just like making fun of myself showing you guys my work......

frenchpaintersmallcopy.jpg

magneto

Practically Family
Tony in Tarzana said:
I've drawn, painted, written, acted and sang, unfortunately none of it was worth a damn.

I like that--and it even rhymes!

(No artist here, but you might say I have raised nitpicking and pedantry to a fine art...) lol

Haversack

One Too Many
I like to think that I aspire to be a craftsman rather than an artist. By my way of thinking, "Art" is something that arises from doing/performing a task/project so well that it is singularly beautiful.

There is a M/Arch degree in a folder in my filing cabinet and I used to design timber-frame houses for a living. This involved a variety of skill: drawing, sculpting, water-colours. Competent and servicable, none of it was art, but the houses that resulted were comfortable and filled with light and air.

Haversack.
-------------------
"Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern art." - Tom Stoppard

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I have absolutely no graphic art capability AT ALL. I can't draw, paint, or select 'fine art". I like "purty pichers" and repeating geometric designs. I'm a decent photographer and videographer, but I'm not about to win any awards.

I'm a good mechanic, I can get by with woodwork (building shelves and such), and I can fix most things. I'm a pretty decent writer, although more in the sense of writing cleary and accurately than writing creatively.

If I have any "artistic" ability at all, it's in the verbal gift of gab (many years as a radio announcer), and my ability to play electric bass. I'm not bad at that, although there are plenty of others who are much better.

Adding it all up, I don't consider my self an artist.

Steve

Practically Family
I consider myself an artist only in the sense that I know something looks good when I see it and I am learning to capture it through the camera. Other than that, I'm still looking in from the outside.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Brushstrokes

Painters don't always paint with paints; sometimes they paint with words.

"When I judge art, I put my painting next to a God-made object, like a tree or flower. If it clashes, it is not art."
-Marc Chagall
"Painting is the grandchild of nature.It is related to God."
-Rembrandt
"There was a reviewer who wrote that my pictures didn't have any beginning or any end. He didn't mean it as a compliment, but it was. "
-Jackson Pollock
"Painting is stronger than I am. It can make me do whatever it wants."
-Pablo PIcasso
"Painting is one thing but art is another. You can teach an elephant to paint, but you can't teach it to be an artist."
-Warren Criswell
"I paint because I need to. I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration."
-Frida Kahlo
"I shut my eyes in order to see"
-Paul Gauguin
"People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love."
-Claude Monet
"I paint for myself. I don't know how to do anything else, anyway."
_Francis Bacon
"Literature expresses itself by abstractions, whereas painting, by means of drawing and color, gives concrete shape to sensations and perceptions."
-Paul Cezanne
"I hate flowers-I paint them because they're cheaper than models and they don't move."
-Georgia O'Keeffe
"Drawing is like making an expressive gesture with the advantage of permanence."
-Henri Matisse
"ONly when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things."
-Edgar Degas
"The pain passes, but the beauty remains."
-Pierre Auguste Renoir

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
I'm an Illustrator and graphic designer. BA from the Center for Creative Studies in Detroit MI.

And just for the fun of it, an actor.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I have a degree in Computer-Assisted Design, which is basically drafting. I like drafting a lot, but that's a craft, not an art.

The closest I come is my love for good design. I am vastly entertained by interior decorating and architecture generally.

I also garden and hope to get a degree in landscape design, and I fully believe there is an artistic component to marrying the man-made with Nature in a pleasing way. I love trying to make a site utterly pleasing through form and color for 12 months of the year, as conditions and activities change, and marrying natural effects to notes of formality. But I'm not sure that makes me an artist and not just an appreciative audience.

Girl Friday

Practically Family
J. M. Stovall said:
I'm a professional illustrator, animator and graphic designer.
My site: http://stovepipe.net/
My blog: http://stovepipedotnet.blogspot.com/
I started out as an illustrator, but during the 90's got caught up co-founding and running a graphic design firm.*After 11 years of being a frustrated artist I chucked it all to pursue something more personally fulfilling than corporate logos and annual reports. Since then I've been busy illustrating and animating, working at ADV Films in Houston as creative director, then in Austin, Texas for 2005 to animate on Richard Linklater's film "A Scanner Darkly".
Awesome stuff!

When I first started seeing the previews for A Scanner Darkly I remember thinking, darn they stole my idea! :eusa_doh:
I was really thinking more along the lines of a graphic novel thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff