Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you eat vintage?

byronic

One of the Regulars

How many loungers put their money where their mouth is (almost literally) and eat a vintage diet, or as much as possible? My kitchen cupboard contains mostly names that have been around for generations such as marmite, Robertsons marmalade, camp coffee, ty-phoo tea, Quakers scotch oats, bovril, gentlemens relish, Campbells soup, Bisto gravy, Tate & lyle syrup and that versatile and sadly maligned old standby- spam. my apologies to non u.k. loungers who may find some of the names unfamiliar, Marmite is the brit equivalent to the Aussies Vegemite, for instance. i did not consciously choose to eat old fashioned things, it just happened. does it go with the territory, so to speak?
-and in this age of mediocrity in which we are nannied & patronised at every turn, i suppose i'd better add my own disclaimer in dreadful modern-speak:
'Mr byronic does not recommend this diet as part of a healthy lifestyle, or any lifestyle for that matter and takes no responsibility if you are foolish enough to live solely on that which is listed above and you wind up looking like a walrus, and anyway, i'm not worth sueing.'

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I do, now and then. Not the grocery-store giveaway recipes tho - nothing so prissy as vegetable Jell-O molds. Plain folks' food, mostly pan-fried: pork chops, fried potatoes, french toast.

Once in a great while I'll key open some sardines - now that's good Depression food, easy on the budget, keeps well, and chock full of omega-3s. I like 'em with brown mustard on white bread or saltines. Best part is, I can share my repast with a very happy kitty cat.

But the culinary keynote of the early 30s would have to be the advent of the ready-made bake mix, which freed Mrs. Modern from the tyranny of the sifter and baking powder. I actually have had a pancake-off with Krusteaz (introduced 1932) and Bisquick (1933). No complaints either way, except perhaps from my diabetologist when he sees my A1c number.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Nope.
I eat sushi, curry, cereal, Silk Milk, and Starbucks. Besides cereal, I don't think any of this was around in the 30s (or at least not widely available!)

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
I suppose it depends upon how you're describing 'vintage eating.' We eat mostly fresh, organic and local, which is obviously *very* vintage. My Grandmother - being depression era, ate everything tin-canned and that isn't terribly wise since we've learned that a heavily canned-diet leads to poor nutrition. :) Her Mother, however was a big gardener and with the exception of meat and dairy, was able to meet the rest of the family's dietary needs.

This makes me very excited that we just bought a house (with a cellar) as we can now grow much of our food and preserve and jar it for the Winter!

rumblefish

One Too Many
beaucaillou said:

This makes me very excited that we just bought a house (with a cellar) as we can now grow much of our food and preserve and jar it for the Winter!

Leave room for a root cellar for winter squash and, of course, root vegetables and you can eat "fresh" through a part of the winter.
Enjoy it, it's a lot of fun and very rewarding :) . I like to can/jar in the spring a lot of root vegetables. Since root vegies harvested from the fall will last further through the winter. I use a hidden part of my breezeway because it's cooler than the basement in winter, but still won't freeze.

I catch, grow, collect and kill a lot of what my family and I eat. If it weren't for the fishing pole, gun, clam rake, or bag of pelletized lime, I guess it could be considered eating prehistoric. But then I'm cooking in modern kitchen:eek: ,,, well sometimes it's over hot coals.:D

Flivver

Practically Family
Some of my favorites include Moxie 'n milk, and Spam 'n eggs.

But I'm disappointed that Moxie has recently replaced the "pointing man" on their label with a modern swirly circle. Do they *really* think they're going to attract more customers with that?

Vanessa

One Too Many
I will be on a vintage diet soon...since I will be forced to eat my clothes because I spent the grocery money. [bad] [huh]

just_me

Practically Family
I don't limit myself to vintage foods. I guess there are a few brands that have been around a long time that I still use - Bisquick, Log Cabin syrup, Hellman's mayo, Hebrew National hot dogs, Heinz ketchup, Ba-Tampte mustard, but generally I buy whatever I feel like eating (and can afford).

Someone mentioned sardines. I love sardines. Years ago, I read an article that stated that people in different parts of the U.S. have specific preferences for the way they like their sardines packed.

I don't remember it exactly, but for example, it was something like the NY tri-state area sells mostly sardines in Olive Oil (or water). Parts of the south (like near New Orleans) sell mostly sardines in tomato sauce. The midwest sells sardines mainly in mustard.

Rachael

A-List Customer
my food choices tend to be much more vintage this time of year; the colder it is outside, the more I want a good stew, pork chops, beans, etc. The food that sticks to your ribs and warms the soul.

During the summer, it's mostly salads and grilled fish.

I will have to say that having been a child in the 70's with a mother who grew up in the 40's, I cannot stomach the idea of a jell-o mold. I swear sometimes she just threw things in without looking. carrots? pineapple? I think not. only thing one should add to jell-o is whipped cream

just_me

Practically Family
Rachael said:
I will have to say that having been a child in the 70's with a mother who grew up in the 40's, I cannot stomach the idea of a jell-o mold. I swear sometimes she just threw things in without looking. carrots? pineapple? I think not. only thing one should add to jell-o is whipped cream
lol lol I grew up in the 50s and 60s and, thankfully, my mother never made Jello. :eusa_clap

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Rachael said:

lol Vegetables + Jello sounds horrible! But I enjoy Jello when it's made from plain gelatin and fruit juice (aka Not Real Jello). Adding pineapple and whipped cream when the base is real pineapple/citrus juice is *much* better. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters