Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

do you ever save your old worn shoes for sentimental reasons?

green papaya

One Too Many
I have a pair of leather chukka boots that Ive been wearing for over 10 years and they have been on numerous memorable trips with fond memories & places, but now I stopped wearing them and save them as a souvenir from my travels, these shoes are sentimental to me because Ive worn them so many places and they are still in very good condition.

do you have an old favorite pair of shoes that have been put away in your collection?

or maybe a favorite jacket, hat, etc that you have fond memories of from past trips?

that is now part of your collection?

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Somewhere I have all my old Scout uniforms, from Beavers up... I've not kept any old shoes that went beyond wearing (at least, not yet...), but my mother still has my baby booties and my first pair of proper, soled shoes somewhere...

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I'm in the same boat as Papaya. Mostly my shoes just get completely worn out.

I don't have a car, so I walk everywhere. As a result my shoes get a lot of use and abuse. Most of them are lucky to last more than a couple of years.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I usually only buy shoes from makers who have a shoe refurbishment program so for a relatively modest fee (in relation to their original price) I extend their useful lives substantially. I have a pair of brown suede wingtips that were purchased over 25 years ago and are looking great after their fourth refurb.

Mr. Hallack

One of the Regulars
My shoe weakness is Converse All Stars (Chuck Taylor's) or One Star shoes. I have an old pair of black Chuck Taylor's all worn to heck, still have them sitting in my closet. I can't get myself to throw them out. I'll probably be wearing Converse until my last dying days. Hopefully I'll be buried wearing a pair of them!! :D

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
The expensive shoes I keep in a box in the garage, I like to see them now and then...by now they are full of spider webs and humidity.... some others I keep in my room... and some I give away to charity.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No, I don`t have any sentiments for old shoes.

Hi, I don't have any sentiments for old shoes either, but I'm still wearing deck shoes I purchased in 1985 and 1986 to shoot in. After you get to be about 25-30 and your feet don't grow, having 20 year old shoes isn't that tough if you keep them polished etc.

Later

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I got married (the first time) in 1984, and still that pair of black shoes. I don't wear them anymore, though, although they are still in decently good, but not beautiful, shape.

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
I have an old pair of Bass Weejuns my grandmother gave to me. It is the only possession that I have that connects me to her. She had more class than she could afford and she shared a piece of that with me.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I have several pair of cowboy boots I've had re-soled or re-heeled. I can't bear the thought of getting rid of them. My current go to dress shoes will probably stay with me awhile. Unfortunately I have had to wear them to some funerals of close friends or family in the recent past. I think I'll keep those and the suit out of remembrance of those occasions.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I have a pair of leather chukka boots that Ive been wearing for over 10 years
and they have been on numerous memorable trips with fond memories & places, but now I stopped wearing them and save them as a souvenir...

I saved the Corcoran jump boots worn the day the US Army discharged me; intending to have them bronzed as bookends-
stashed in the family's garage for safe storage-but the boots were somehow mistakenly tossed. :(

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
After you get to be about 25-30 and your feet don't grow
Actually, it's not uncommon to experience a late growth spurt of up to a size in your 40's due to weakening foot muscles (arches?) causing the foot to spread out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner