Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you have a man room/study

My office has become storage. When my modem was replaced recently the new one won't work if it's on an extension phone line, so I had to move my computer into my bedroom to be close enough to a phone jack. There's no jack in the office.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I have an imaginary one for when I am rich and famous.

Twelve foot ceilings, with recessed bookshelves all the way up the walls, and one of those cool rolling ladders from an old library. Dark wood desk and concert grand piano at right angles, with a red high-back chair that can swivel. Fireplace, separate ventilation for the pipe-smoke and hardwood floors.

Also, my other musical instruments, and hats, as well as an old fashioned coat/hat stand.

There is one other chair in the room, don't know what it looks like, and an Ottoman with it, with a couple warm blankets.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Yeps said:
I have an imaginary one for when I am rich and famous.

Twelve foot ceilings, with recessed bookshelves all the way up the walls, and one of those cool rolling ladders from an old library. Dark wood desk and concert grand piano at right angles, with a red high-back chair that can swivel. Fireplace, separate ventilation for the pipe-smoke and hardwood floors.

Also, my other musical instruments, and hats, as well as an old fashioned coat/hat stand.

There is one other chair in the room, don't know what it looks like, and an Ottoman with it, with a couple warm blankets.

Sounds good to me.

I saw a photo of a private library with bookshelves to the high ceiling, but there was a walkway halfway up with a wrought-iron rail, and a spiral stair leading up to it.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
This be my office ( man room )
Corner of one wall

2pyb8kn.jpg

The rest of the above wall

2dr99c8.jpg

Computer side of the office

20z4qok.jpg

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Guy, I love the Falcon statue, inspired!

As for the man room, being single, my whole house is a man room. The house I rent was built in 1904 (I'll try and scan the original photo of when it was built) it has original wood floors (the "I knocked down a tree and made some floors with it" sort and a great old wood stove.

Here's my desk:
Screenshot2010-07-23at33707PM.png

Wildblue

One of the Regulars
My "man-cave" in my two most recent houses have been private theaters. As an overgrown semi-pro hobby, I design and construct private theaters in homes. My current house came with a dedicated theater room already in it, and I've only been making it better since I bought the house. Will post some pictures sometime if I get the chance.

Derek Cavin

One of the Regulars
Under Construction

My man cave is currently under construction. I hope to have it done some time in 2011 (but the way my wife is approaching the basement, more like 2013). The walls are painted, but that is it. No electricity working, no ceilings, no flooring, etc. In over one year we have not progressed very far.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
When our son moved out to start his studies it only took me one and a half hour to transform his room into something my wife calls:
"The Royal Air Force Museum".

I call it our guestroom - with a special decor and certain books and pieces of art.

MondoBiggles

New in Town
The wife calls it my Man Cave

Converted one of the two barns in my back yard into an office, and mysteriously, all those things of mine my wife always smiled at in that way that said she wasn't really smiling have ended up out there with me.

As middle-aged dude, I have stacks of CDs, and still some vinyl, all out in the barn, with a component stereo that defies its age and still plays. Books. An old iMac. Part of a desk. A small couch. Carpet. A TV. Hoping to add a dorm fridge, cuz I like a crisp G&T.

Walls are covered equally in kitsch (I'm told) and coolness (well, I think so, anyway). A ratty "Casablanca" poster holds sway.

Living in eastern N.C., I put a window unit in the barn so as not to fry in summer.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I probably never posted on this originally because I'm opposed to the term "mancave".

I have a room that I keep my computer, which happens to be the same room I keep all my books as well as reloading equipment. My gf goes in there and bugs me all the time. [huh]

Feng Shui

MondoBiggles said:
Converted one of the two barns in my back yard into an office, and mysteriously, all those things of mine my wife always smiled at in that way that said she wasn't really smiling have ended up out there with me.

Feng Shui (Fung Schway) is an ancient Chinese decorating term which means: "All of the guy's stuff winds up in the garage." ;)

MissHannah

One Too Many
So do your wives and partners have Woman Rooms too? I'm guessing you all must live in rather enormous houses and flats!

MissHannah said:
So do your wives and partners have Woman Rooms too? I'm guessing you all must live in rather enormous houses and flats!
In the US there tends to be an underlying concept that the woman is in charge of and runs the house as the hausfrau. She is in charge of decorating all of the other rooms in the home and gets to make them the way she wants them to be. The only consession is to the home theater.

With this as the common approach in the US, men feel that the house is HERS so we need to be able to retreat to OUR room. If we don't have a room in the house we get an area in the basement or the garage.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John in Covina said:
...With this as the common approach in the US, men feel that the house is HERS so we need to be able to retreat to OUR room. If we don't have a room in the house we get an area in the basement or the garage.

...or a small nook in the bathroom known as the shower, or sometimes in an even smaller recess known as the driver seat - but only on a weekday, and only on the way to work and back. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic