Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you have a set beauty routine?

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
I used to have oily skin in places.. that's until I started using Ponds! :D
However, I do always remove any residue with burts bees rosewater and gylercin - and since doing this my face rarely shines!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I think it is important to remember that even if you're using cold cream, you still need to exfoliate, either chemically (peel) or physically (scrub). I use a scrub each day. Last time I visited my esthetician I was only using Pond's and witch hazel and the Nivea cream on my face, and she read me the riot act. Since then I've been exfoliating and using a better moisturizer, and I've had very good results.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
fortworthgal said:
I think it is important to remember that even if you're using cold cream, you still need to exfoliate, either chemically (peel) or physically (scrub). I use a scrub each day. Last time I visited my esthetician I was only using Pond's and witch hazel and the Nivea cream on my face, and she read me the riot act. Since then I've been exfoliating and using a better moisturizer, and I've had very good results.

With your routine then, do you exfoliate before or after using the ponds? And what do you use?

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
I don't think all of us can exfoliate daily - my skin is far too sensitive! I think the muslin cloth I use to take the cold cream off with works ok as a daily exfoliator though and is not too harsh.

I just wanted to add to wibblebird's comment about the increase in sales - after reading the forums on acne.org and seeing how dead set against mineral oil everyone seems to be and how it is such a big no no for acne suffers, I really want to tell everyone on there of the benefits I have had. I know cold cream might not suit everyone, but if it can help even just 10% of acne suffers then that's still a big portion of people who are going without because of the mineral oil phobia!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
mysterygal said:
With your routine then, do you exfoliate before or after using the ponds? And what do you use?

Here's my current routine:

Evening/after work/before bed:
- Cold cream - apply and tissue off, twice
- Witch hazel toner
- Burt's Bees Radiance night cream and eye cream
- Sometimes I alternate this last step with Burt's Bees Carrot Nutritive Day Cream

Morning:
- Burt's Bees Soap Bark & Chamomile deep pore cleansing cream
- Burt's Bees Peach & Willowbark deep pore scrub
- Alternate with Burt's Bees citrus facial scrub
- Witch hazel toner
- Beyond Belief Vita C+ facial serum
- Olay complete moisture cream with SPF (sometimes mixed with a bit of Burt's Bees Carrot Day Cream if my skin is exceedingly dry)
- Olay Regenerist eye serum or Burt's Radiance eye cream
- Apply makeup

I also use the Queen Helene Mint Julep mask about once a week, and try to use a home microdermabrasion kit about once a week. I'm really interested in trying the one the Healing Garden has out, since it is bamboo instead of aluminum oxides.

So, I cleanse with cold cream basically at night, and not in the mornings. I would exfoliate after the cold cream and before a toner.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
The mint Julep Scrub is very nice too, I scrub after I remove the cold cream, because I find it softens the dead cells, making them exfoliate more easily.

Classydame

One of the Regulars
This is so interesting...

I have to admit I am a little lazy...with school, work and a 16yr old I just hate to take the time to remove makeup. So heres my routine...
Evening:
  • Brush/floss/rinse
  • Wash face with Cetaphil on a wash cloth (exfoliates and skin does not dry)
  • Moisturize eye area with Clinique's anti aging eye cream
  • Use either Clinique Daily Moisturizer, Oil of Olay sensitive or Besame's new rose moisurizer

Morning:
  • Brush/floss/rinse
  • Rinse face in shower with water only
  • Moisturize with items from above
  • Moisturize eye area with Clinique's anti aging eye cream
  • Use tinted SPF 25 sunblock from Clinique
  • Use Besame's bisque foundation as concealer around nose, mouth and any red areas
  • Apply Clinique transparency 2 loose powder
  • Shape eyebrows with brush
  • Apply my favorite red lipstick, Besame Red
  • Blow dry hair if washed/brush and put up if not

After all this I'm good to go...this is pretty much what I do on a daily basis. If I'm going somewhere special it is the full face.

marquise

Familiar Face
My current routine:

Mornin':
-Coffee & scrambled eggs on rye toast / cornflakes in jadite cereal bowl (how vintage!)
- Peruse the internets, sew what needs sewing, finish schoolwork.
- Shower with Philosopy's Cinnamon Buns.
- Wash/scrub face with Cetaphil plus a bit of baking soda.
- Moisturize with Lubriderm Daily Moisture.
- Make-up, which is the standard MAC powder, eyeshadow in a reletively 1930s brown/bronze shade, cream blush, etc.
- Brush with Marvis Ginger-Mint:

margingr.jpg

... which has the best packaging & taste ever.

Night-time:
-Pond's Cold cream with a hot washcloth.
-Queen Helene's Mint Julep Mask, which is utterly fabulous; every 3 days or so.
- Paint/touch up nails (usually in the bare-moon style, which means at least a half-hour process!)

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
fortworthgal said:

See, I absolutely disagree with this 100%. I *never* exfoliate because I think it is horrifically bad for the skin. Well I say never, I often remove my cold cream with a wash cloth because that's how I was told was the best and most beneficial way.

Particles in scrubs are usually pieces of pumice, or kernals or salt or something like that...sharp edged little blighters that can microscopically tear your pores and skin leaving it abraded and your pores showing worse than ever. If you looked at your face under a microscope after using a scrub like that you'd see the tears very clearly. Using a scrub on zitty skin is also a big no no because you are opening the zits, dragging the bacteria around and working it into the aforementioned tears and could create a whole new load of zits.

Chemical peels are the same - using it too often is going to erode your skin and you risk ending up with red, sore patches. I would personally never want to abrade my skin so harshly. I treat it pretty gently. If you must use a scrub, use one with man made beads with a smooth texture, or use a wash cloth to gently slough off the dead skin. Of course if you have been advised personally by a professional then ignore me, but for the majority of people, gentle is better.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Fleur De Guerre said:
See, I absolutely disagree with this 100%. I *never* exfoliate because I think it is horrifically bad for the skin. Well I say never, I often remove my cold cream with a wash cloth because that's how I was told was the best and most beneficial way.

Particles in scrubs are usually pieces of pumice, or kernals or salt or something like that...sharp edged little blighters that can microscopically tear your pores and skin leaving it abraded and your pores showing worse than ever. If you looked at your face under a microscope after using a scrub like that you'd see the tears very clearly. Using a scrub on zitty skin is also a big no no because you are opening the zits, dragging the bacteria around and working it into the aforementioned tears and could create a whole new load of zits.

I never exfoliate either, and my skin is better for it. I did, and its a real good way of making your skin uneven by tearing layers away so you never have an even layer of skin. Its like sandpaper on your face.

I dont use a wash cloth either (kinda the same thing). I was told you clean your skin with your fingers. I blot dry everything from my face to hands and so forth. Rubbing can irritate skin. So far its working for me.

The real key to great skin...lots and lots of water, and a well applied sunscreen. Knowing how to apply your Spf (blotting, not rubbing) is just as important as using it.

Id also say wash and repeat. Most gals I know just wash their face once. The first wash is to get the goop you put on your face off, the second wash is to cleanse the skin.

Alright, Im done with my rant. :eek:

LD

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
You know those extremely detailed diagrams you often find in vintage beauty books, with arrows showing in which directions you should rub in your cold cream in order to smooth out wrinkles or something?
Unfortunately I can find a picture on the internet. But I was wondering if any of actually apply your cold cream that way?
I also remember having seen footage of women sitting in long rows at a beauty school or something, learning this by heart, it's hilarious!

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
I just slap mine on, massage in a circular motion and then remove with a warm muslin cloth. I'D be interested to hear how it was done originally!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I dunno... honestly I'd be pretty surprised if a skincare professional or dermatologist advised you to *never* exfoliate. Exfoliation improves circulation, clears pores, and removes dead skin cells. Believe it or not, it is possible to treat your skin *too* gently! On the same line, over-exfoliation is also bad. If you're using a scrub like St. Ives or something, then yes, it will scratch up your skin and do very little good.

That being said, skincare is largely "to each his own" so you have to find what works best for you. I use very gentle scrubs without harsh particles (a MUST) in minimal amounts, and have had excellent results. I very, very rarely have acne - of course this is also largely genetics, I don't have over-sensitive skin, my skin is very even, and I get a lot of compliments on my complexion. When I was only using cold cream and a washcloth to remove it, my skin looked okay to the naked eye, but to my esthetician, it was dry and dull with layers of dead cells and clogged pores. So, that routine wasn't enough exfoliation for me personally. Since I've gone back to regular exfoliation, my skin has turned around 100% and I no longer have those issues. But again, skincare is largely a personal matter of finding what works for you, and this is what works for me. I wouldn't randomly decide that you should never exfoliate, unless you've been advised to do so by a skincare professional or a dermatologist. Just be gentle about it!

I agree that sunblock and water is important, regardless of the rest of your routine.

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
When I first started using cold cream not long ago, I would remove it with a wet washcloth. After awhile I got lazy and was just using a tissue. I noticed when I did that my flaky patches came back and my skin started getting yucky again. I've gone back to the wet washcloth and it seems to be helping. I think the washcloth exfoliates better and gets all those dead cells off, which makes my skin look dull and flaky. I used to use a scrub every day, but that was just too much. This way I am exfoliating a little every day for a nice glow.

Miss_Bri

New in Town
I've seen mention a couple of times of removing cold cream with a muslin cloth. Any tips on where to find those ready-to-use? (I guess I could go to a fabric store, but that seems too much like work!)

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Ooh, lg if you ever want to stock up this place does them much cheaper.

But I heard that the muslin is the same as baby squares- you can go and buy those very large muslin squares for burping babies and cut them up - a fraction of the price. But I haven't tried that for myself yet.

wibblebird

New in Town
Resurrecting this thread...

I've got to pipe in. It's been about a month since I started my experiment with cold cream, and I've got to say...Wow! I've got oily skin that gets cystic acne monthly. I've been using Proactiv solution regularly, but that's been getting expensive, and my skin seems to be getting oilier.

Well, my routine is now Proactiv in the morning and simply cold cream and a warm washcloth at night. Since I started doing that, my skin has improved LOADS. Still have a few blackheads, but my nose and chin are no longer covered. No breakouts whatsoever. What's most amazing to me is how my skin feels - dewy, soft, but never, ever oily any more.

I think I may even give up the Proactiv in the morning now, switch to something cheaper. And all thanks to the ladies here who have been such supporters of a "vintage-i-fied" beauty routine. Thanks so much!

Wendy

princessofcandl

One of the Regulars
Wow... this is longer than I expected.

Just to pipe in for a health hint...

I used to use a muslim cloth but have switched to white wash cloths. If you use a muslim cloth it is recommended to sterilize it often. You do this by making it damp and sticking it in the microwave for about a minute. But I found that with cold cream, the muslim gets mucked up and is hard to clean. I switched to white wash cloths. I bought a ton for next to nothing at a discount chain (*coughwalmartcough*). I think of these as disposable. I use them and toss them in the wash with my other whites so they get a good hard scrubbing. Then when they start to look yucky I just toss them with no guilt.

I guess since I'm on here I should put my beauty schedule:

Morning:
*Wash with Purity by Philosophy (I get the 3.5 fl. oz. "trial size" at Sephora for $10 and it last forever)
*Moisturize face and neck with Oil of Olay
*Brush my teeth alternatine Listerine toothpaste or Supersmile whitening toothpaste. Its the best! www.cosmeticsolutions.com
*Oil my hair (long wavey). Right now I'm using an Indian produced called Amla by Dabur. Its great and super cheap at the India market.
*Make up for the day. Depends on what I'm doing and such. I use MAC products mostly. I have rice powder I picked up at he cosmetic solutions too thats good for the no-make-up-days which means rice powder, lip gloss, and mascara.
Done!

Night:
*Jergens cold cream. I put on my face, neck, and underarms. Soak in a few minutes
*Scalp oil. Right now I'm using a cheapy tea tree scalp stimulater from Sallys
*Once a week I'll do a sugar scrub
*Shower using the soap de jour. I believe in having nice soaps. They are not expensive and you are worth it. I have about 4 soaps to choose from in the shower.
*Wash hair with alternating cheapy shampoo/conditioner (gets out all the oils I put in) and Ojon hydrating shampoo/conditions. Once a week I use thier hair mask. Check them out at Sephora.com. They rock.
*Warm and wet wash cloth and gently exfoliate/remove cream from face, neck, and underarms in that order.
*Pat dry then lotion up
*Braid my hair (shoulder blade length). This is my wet set.
*Moisturize face and neck with Oil of Olay
*Apply lash builder Lipocils by Talika. Very expensive. But I got a gc from Sephora and always wanted to try it.
*Lotion up tooties and moisturize cuticles. Currently using Burts bees and love it.
*Read a romance novel till hubby comes to bed with the baby's (doggies)

*Once a month I henna my hair. I like using "natural" products so I don't color my hair.

I get a getting-ready-for-bed time. Hubby plays online poker so I can do my girly things in private. Going to bed takes about an hour but its my calm down time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda