Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

do you like these retro low cut jeans?

green papaya

One Too Many
la05b.jpg

serflowstrach.jpg

a lot of the styles these days look like retro 1960's

these jeans remind me of the 1960's , they would look great with some beads and halter top for that retro 60's & 70's look, but you must have a very slim figure too look good in this style

Caledonia

Practically Family
Uh. No. Too tight, too low. The 60s were about experimentation in pushing the limits. I'm sure somebody will come up with a counter argument, but these are modern.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Tushy! Love it! Tush pronounced Toosh. Must look out the film reference. I'm almost certain it's Mel Brooks. :)

Caledonia

Practically Family
Tushy! Love it! Tush pronounced Toosh. Must look out the film reference. I'm almost certain it's Mel Brooks. :) (ok editted over myself :eek: )

Actually, sorry. I should expand on what I meant about the original image. The 60's just weren't that tight and low. Waistbands came down, and were hipster, that's true, and that occurred from the lat 60s well into the 70s. And the thigh hugging jean look is also there. But the whole image that the above conveys just isn't it. The experimentation was about rebellion against the established norms, not just the parents, but the politics. The image above is just about fashion and parents, and well, fashion. I'm totally open to discussion here (and just for info I was only a nipper during the 60s, teenager in the 70s), but that image epitomises the 90s on as far as I can see. Open to suggestions.....

maisie

Practically Family
Those jeans create 'muffin top's' even on skinny people! lol Give me high waisted 40's trousers any day!:D

Etienne

A-List Customer
I was a teen in the 60's and I remember wearing jeans that were "hip-huggers" but nowhere near as low as the ones pictured here. They were also not anywhere as tight as these. I recall them being sort of straight through the thighs and then widening to a modest bell at the bottom. I distinctly remember wearing these with a snug black turtleneck, long-sleeved top and shoes called "Bear Traps" (platform, high-heeled wooden shoes!) And, of course, there was jewelry, too--a silver/pewter chain necklace with a large garnet colored pendant, and silver hoop earrings. Wow, this brings back memories!

Tourbillion

Practically Family
They are retro, but not even close to accurate. I recall wearing jeans like the ones Etienne mentioned to school even in the late 70's (right before "designer jeans" hit).

I have some modern jeans like the ones I wore in the 70's (but a lot bigger), they are loose in the leg with the flare. I'll stick to them.

I have heard from my sister (she's 52 years old) that there were jeans on some girls that were low enough to show "cleavage", but she didn't wear them.

I am still waiting for some nice retro high waisted jeans...

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
maisie said:
Those jeans create 'muffin top's' even on skinny people! lol Give me high waisted 40's trousers any day!:D

Amen :eusa_clap

I miss jeans that held you instead of barely hang on for life. Why did just about EVERY jean maker chop at least three inches off the waist?! :(
Makes a girl tear up.

LD

magneto

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
Amen :eusa_clap

I miss jeans that held you instead of barely hang on for life. Why did just about EVERY jean maker chop at least three inches off the waist?! :(
Makes a girl tear up.

LD

Fortunately all the "trend predictors" are unanimous that higher waists (and straight legs not flared) are coming back soon; the super-high-end priced jeans (oxymoron though that is!) coming out now have a much higher rise and its only a matter of time before that filters down to mass market. (Notice at the Levi's store and Old Navy f'rinstance how the really low rise, bell-bottom junk is all on deep discount and the new stuff has a more conservative cut.)

I agree that pants pictured are more a 90s version of 60s/70s hiphuggers, crossed with late 70s embellished pocket look...

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nope, not for me. Like the other ladies said, too tight too low, too uncomfortable. Unfortunately these jeans are the style, and I've seen too many young ladies wearing them who shouldn't.

On another note: Tooshy, short for the Yiddish word "Tuchas" (pronounced: too chus, with that cleaing of the throat sound).

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
magneto said:
Fortunately all the "trend predictors" are unanimous that higher waists (and straight legs not flared) are coming back soon; the super-high-end priced jeans (oxymoron though that is!) coming out now have a much higher rise and its only a matter of time before that filters down to mass market. (Notice at the Levi's store and Old Navy f'rinstance how the really low rise, bell-bottom junk is all on deep discount and the new stuff has a more conservative cut.)

I agree that pants pictured are more a 90s version of 60s/70s hiphuggers, crossed with late 70s embellished pocket look...

I read about this. Very good news not just for the girls wearing the jeans but for those of us that have to look at them in them.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
magneto said:

Hoorah! I'm so excited to see when they return! I'm sick of the low ones. Also I have a hard time find dark demin too. Sigh!

I'll check out those Stop Staring ones right now!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
If I had the butt and tummy for those, I would wear them. Not all the time mind you, but occationally. I would probably buy them long and cuff them for more of a rockabilly style. I don't like to limit myself to just one look. Sure I have my favourites (mostly the 40's and Madonna Lucky Star/Like a Virgin 80's), but if there is a modern piece that I can incorporate into a vintage or rockabilly/punk style I'll get it. Those particular jeans don't remind me of the 60's, but just as I would give them a 50's rockabilly flair, so could you with a 60's look. :p

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Me too! But I'd like to see them from the front too. And know the inside leg measurements! This is the kind of thing that might require trying on, like those lovely ester Williams bathing suits. I am really kicking myself for not thinking of tracking down this shop when I was in LA. :cry:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR