Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you wear vintage in your down time?

JustJen

Familiar Face
Hi Ladies!
I'm new to the forum but I've been collecting vintage for about 3 years now. I have a question I'd like to pose to everyone:

Do you wear vintage when you get home from work or when you're 'just hanging out'?

I have two young boys (ages 6 and 2) and I waver daily about wearing my vintage around them. Typically, I change into capris and a crew t-shirt the minute I get home but I'd love to hear what everyone else does!

Just curious.

Thanks loads!
Jen

magneto

Practically Family
Hi JustJen, welcome!
Gosh, I would be terrified to wear any vintage around a two year old :)
I think capris or clamdiggers can look quite vintage depending what you wear them with. If I'm working at home I usually just wear cuffed dungarees and a washable blouse or shirt, myself. I wish I had more casual day-dresses (that I wasn't afraid of destroying for hanging around purposes).

I admit I spent a long time looking for a proper vintage wrapper/"kimona" (sic) as they used to call 'em...

mandolynn

New in Town
Ha, I can't wear vintage all the time, really. I only have a couple dresses and I go to an art school, so wearing vintage all the time would be very bad for my clothes!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I barely manage to wear anything vintage at all, although that is changing somewhat thanks to the evils of ebay.

I pretty much came on to the Lounge as a collecter of objects as opposed to a vintage dresser type....

But definatly not an everyday thing for me at all.

Naama

Practically Family
mandolynn said:
Ha, I can't wear vintage all the time, really. I only have a couple dresses and I go to an art school, so wearing vintage all the time would be very bad for my clothes!

I go to art school as well! But since I studie conceptula art I don't really have to do much [huh] But no, I don't wear vintage all the time as well, actually, when I'm home, I wear the most uglyiest things I have in my closet since I have a 6month old dog, who is really terrible..... And, another reason, my vintage wardrobe is rather limited and very fragile :/ I'm always afraid when I'm in vintage :eek:

Naama

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Nope! I usually just wear head to toe vintage if I'm going out with friends who I know are going vintage as well. I will mix in vintage pieces with modern pieces on a very consistant basis for daily wear, though- like 50's sweaters, vintage purses, vintage jewelry, skirt... but I'm hesistant of wearing anything pre 1950 with frequency.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Not me. I mix in vintage pieces when I go out - usually sweaters or jackets - but I don't usually go head-to-toe for a normal day; I don't tend to wear all vintage unless the hair, shoes & make-up go with it, and that is time that could go towards sleep in the mornings. (Besides, I live in a cubicle. I could be naked in here and no one would know. I know they say that ladies don't dress for men, they dress for other ladies... but in my case I'd be dressing for the action figures on my computer, and I really don't think they'd properly appreciate my clothes.)

At home ... well... I am certainly not the type to vacuum in pearls.

BV

JustJen

Familiar Face
lol......I also work in a cubicle and my director is located in Atlanta. I do wear vintage almost daily but as most of you say, only mixed in with modern pieces.

I curl my hair every day. It's getting to my shoulders and driving me nuts but it usually comes out a la Ava Gardner. That and my makeup. Shocking red lipstick pretty much on a daily basis....lol. I only work with a few women so I think I do it so that I can make them envious.....but really, isn't that a great enough reason?

Barbigirl

Practically Family
I really haven't pursued wearing any vintage regularly. I have a few retro look new things that I try to pair up for flair and when we go out I have a couple of dresses that look late 40s/50s. Because of my job I dressed professionally every day in business suits, skirts, dresses but I always work toward elegent style versus fashion or trendy.

I am planning on ordering a couple of suits with skirts from baronboutique.com for work, unfortunatley, not vintage inspired at all.

I absolutely agree JustJen about dressing for other women. I am admittedly a compliment monger and enjoy dressing well when everyone else looks like they picked up whatever off the floor or are wearing scrubs.

At home I am very often in camisoles and pj (lounge wear) pants. I like to be cozy at home.

decodoll

Practically Family
When I go out in public I'm almost always in vintage, vintage inspired or things made from vintage patterns. Around the house, almost never. I'm usually in baby T's and yoga pants. I have two cats and they always want to be in my lap the moment I sit down in something nice! I do however have every intention of someday making cute vintage around-the-house outfits. One of my next projects is going to be the Decades of Style 1930 Kitchenette Pajama, and I'm almost done with the trousers from that pattern I got recently in a cotton twill.

Lauren

Ooh! I have been meaning to try that one. Let me know how it turns out! They were at Costume College last year and I've been curious to see what changes they made to the original patterns.

decodoll

Practically Family
I will. :) I took a class with them recently at the Costume Academy given by the GBACG. If I remember correctly, all they do is grade them and maybe add some additional instruction. The fit should be the same as the original.

Lauren

Horray! I bet that was a cool class :)

Oh yeah, around the house it's basically pjs for me, but I have some period lounging pjs and housedresses topping my "to do" list. It's all about being comfy!

ladyk

Familiar Face
Out of the house, I'm vintage head to toe (or repro vintage mixed in with) but once I step through my front door I'm straight in to my round the house wear -PJ's. I have a white cat who sheds like crazy and her fur is like velcro. I'd spend half my life picking fur off my clothes if I wore them in the house!

I do have an ever growing collection of house dresses though... I just can't help myself!

Wxx

MoxieGrl

Familiar Face
I rarely wear vintage around the house, to many pets, but if I am going someplace of any importance, I will wear either all vintage, part vintage, vintage inspired, depending on my mood. My first year of college I wore vintage head-to-toe everyday, but it does'nt seem practical anymore. I would go back to wearing vintage all the time if my life style ever changes to fit accordingly. *sigh* I do love my vintage peices so though.
-Stormi

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Baron

JustJen said:
It's nice to hear what everyone does!

Barbigirl~ funny you should mention baronboutique.....Baron is my 6 year old's name.....LOL.

Jen

Is that a family name or did you just like it? Hey, perhaps a topic for a new thread....old fashioned names.

JustJen

Familiar Face
Is that a family name or did you just like it? Hey, perhaps a topic for a new thread....old fashioned names.

No, my husband's family line is all full blooded German so he picked it to sort of go with our last name (Lasher). I wanted Dresden but he said it was 'inflammatory'....lol. So, we settled for Baron Cole. I chose Cole because if he didn't end up liking Baron, he had a safety net. But the name fits the little blue eyed blond.

Our 2 year old's name is Blaize Holden. I got to pick it this time (I wanted Berlin, but again too inflammatory). Holden is a reference to Holden Caulfield, one of my all time favorite characters.

I'm half hispanic so my side of the family didn't really get anything (strangely, they inherited my olive skin) but they are both definitely northern European children.

You're right, perhaps a thread for old fashioned names?

Jen

Sid Rogers

New in Town
mandolynn said:

No kiddin'. I go to an art school, too, and it's just too much work. My favorite things to wear in down time are gingham button-downs (like in my avatar) and nautical, striped t-shirts. A boatneck tee can be suprisingly vintage looking. The one vintage thing I do wear all the time is my Grandpa's Army jacket (avatar), but it stands up well, as most military things do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy