Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you wear your Aero while driving (does the jacket get seatbelt rash)?

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Abuse does not produce a good look. If this was the case then dragging the coat behind the car on a dirt road would be the standard break in procedure.

I never thought of doing that to break my jacket in.
First thing tomorrow I'm gonna tie that sucker to my car and Hi Ho Silver, Away.:D

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Abuse does not produce a good look. If this was the case then dragging the coat behind the car on a dirt road would be the standard break in procedure.

Don't joke, I've seen that done a few times. Over at COW the Indy Jones fans even apply sand paper and solvents to the finish to make the jacket look worn in and vintage.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I don't wear my Aero's while driving.

However, it's not for the wear of the coat, but because the leather color transfers to the seat. Ok if you have black seats, but all of my cars have different color leathers and the coat color transfers to the seats in a big way. Ruined the leather of my car that had grey leather.

winterland1

Practically Family
I also wear mine driving to help with the break in procedure. I do pull down the bottom back sometimes right after I get in if it feels like it bunched up. Haven't noticed any rub marks etc.

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
I don't wear my Aero's while driving.

However, it's not for the wear of the coat, but because the leather color transfers to the seat. Ok if you have black seats, but all of my cars have different color leathers and the coat color transfers to the seats in a big way. Ruined the leather of my car that had grey leather.

Had the exact same thing happen to me. ruined my tan leather seats in my new mustang. the top coat on the Horween leather comes off real easy and messes up whatever its rubbed on, its supposed to in order to age faster. I've had issues with a couple of these jackets with the surface color rubbing off, nature of the beast. other leathers and tanning techniques haven't resulted in any rash.

tonypaj

Practically Family
I have only one FQHH Aero left, a Highwayman, that is my work jacket in the yard, it gets all the abuse there is. I baby one jacket only, a Goodwear A-1, a brilliant thing, so comfortable, I wear it to the office all the time. I don't take it off for car rides, seat belts are there to save my life, but I kind of look after it. My wife wears my second favourite, an old early 50s G-1, as her her work jacket. Well, it is also massively comfortable on a cold fall day. The rest get no specific attention. Mainly they stay in the closet.

sshack

A-List Customer
Had the exact same thing happen to me. ruined my tan leather seats in my new mustang. the top coat on the Horween leather comes off real easy and messes up whatever its rubbed on, its supposed to in order to age faster. I've had issues with a couple of these jackets with the surface color rubbing off, nature of the beast. other leathers and tanning techniques haven't resulted in any rash.

Were your other jackets that you had surface color rubbing issues also made of Horween leather?

mattp

One of the Regulars
Has anyone found a good way of getting the Horween Chromexcel out of light car seats? My brown Aero cafe racer transferred dye to my light grey leather seats, and nothing I've tried so far has helped...
Back on topic, I have a blanket over the seat now and drive in my jacket, I agree it helps break it in, and any marks from real world use just add to the character.
Cheers,
Matt

Foster

One of the Regulars
I noticed it mostly with a sheepskin B-3 jacket some years ago. The belt wore a bald spot on the bottom edge closest to the seat belt attachment. I'd pull the belt across quickly to buckle, and release it where it would recoil back quickly, just from habit of always doing it that way. Never realized it was wearing a bald spot until it was a done deal. It looked odd, having that one bald spot whereas the rest of the jacket looked different. But I was probably the only person who noticed it.

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
Were your other jackets that you had surface color rubbing issues also made of Horween leather?

no, the only one that bled bad was a fqhh aero a-2 made. that thing bled like it was alive. as far as rubbing off, I have a a aero mid weight seal HH half belt that the finish comes off if you look at it the wrong way. it all depends on the tanning. other hides do and some don't, its very objective.

and no I haven't had much of an issue with my good wear steer, Eastman goat a-2, schott cowhide, flight suits goat and alexander oil pull steer. different tanning methods I would think.

Gromulus

Practically Family
I noticed some wear on the left side of my FQHH Bootlegger after only a couple weeks. I try to adjust the seatbelt so it doesn't rub directly on my shoulder but it still abrades the leather somewhat on the left side. All part of "character building" in my book. Guess I should buy a right hand drive vehicle to even things out.

I never noticed this on my other horsehide, steer, or goatskin jackets however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters