Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DOBBS CROSS COUNTRY MODERN EQUIVALENT?

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
I got my hands on a Dobbs Cross Country and have fallen in love! The pliable, thin, light felt is exactly what I've been looking for for a very long time. Now, is there a modern production hat that has the same type of personality and characteristics? Thanks.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Mr. Lucky said:
I got my hands on a Dobbs Cross Country and have fallen in love! The pliable, thin, light felt is exactly what I've been looking for for a very long time. Now, is there a modern production hat that has the same type of personality and characteristics? Thanks.

When you say "got my hands on" do you mean that you actually own one, or that you just got to try it out? I'm guessing the latter, because if you owned one I don't see why you would need to find the modern equivalent. Plus, I know you have a gigantic cranium like mine, thus the need for a modern hat because of the difficulty in finding vintage ones. ;)

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Mr E Train said:
When you say "got my hands on" do you mean that you actually own one, or that you just got to try it out? I'm guessing the latter, because if you owned one I don't see why you would need to find the modern equivalent. Plus, I know you have a gigantic cranium like mine, thus the need for a modern hat because of the difficulty in finding vintage ones. ;)
Here's the story - A few months ago I won one on Ebay, but the ad was mislabeled and it was WAY too small. So, it sat. Then, last week, I started toying with it. I removed the crumbling sweat band, the narrow ribbon and, slowly and carefully, streeeeetttccheeed it out. Then I threw it on a block I had for a couple of days, reflanged the brim, added a new ribbon and - VOILA! - I had a Dobbs Cross Country on my noggin'. Now, there's still no sweat, but I don't really mind so much.

Thing is, I'd love to get something comparable that I don't have to, well, torture!

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I have a Dobbs hankachif felt fedora I bought this past fall in an antique store and it is like nothing else around

I will forever be keeping my eyes open for another hankachif felt. It's great and wears great, feels great

As far as finding one new today ... better plan on a custom hat ... I can't imagine there is a production hat today using the level of felt in my hakachif

Dobbs is great!

Blessings,

Sam

RBH

Bartender
Here is a shot from last summer of me, Mike and Duck.
I am wearing my 'Harvester' made by Mike.
Pretty close to the Cross Country look I think.

hpim5006.jpg

And here is the 'Memphis Blues' it is a Moorelite.

hpim4800y.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Aside from available colors, is the lightweight felt being used by the Major and Art the same stuff? If not, for anyone who might know, what's the differrence?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy