Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone here own an Optimo 1000?

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Just out of interest. If you do, what do you think of it? Any major difference between it and a regular Optimo (of Chicago)? Also, what one of theirs was in Public Enemies?

Thanks,
flute

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
There are a couple of threads on Depp's Public Enemies hat, which is not one of the hats listed on the site. You'd have to ask for a hat with the same dimensions.

No one has posted an Optimo 1000 to my knowledge.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
jlee562 said:
I still feel as if the screen hat used a different block (and ribbon, obviously).
NOT AGAIN...LISTEN TO LEFTY..
Lefty said:
There are a couple of threads on Depp's Public Enemies hat, which is not one of the hats listed on the site. You'd have to ask for a hat with the same dimensions.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
jlee562 said:
Whoa, calm down. Perhaps you should address your post to Bruce Wayne who identified the hat on the site as the film hat.

Sorry, didn't mean to come down on you as I agree with your statement. There have been two very vigorous "discussions" in the recent past that dragged on and I'm just hoping to preempt the extension of another...

I am curious about the Optimo 1000 however. I think someone here has indulged. Perhaps I'll try to get more details on my next visit to Optimo.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
From the mention of prior conflicts about Public Enemies, I'll ask everyone from here on out to ignore the second half of my question. (I already ran a search for 'Public Enemies hat' and it didn't turn up anything relevant, so I was just asking for a quick response. Sorry! :eek:) But about the Optimo 1000, I'd find it unlikely if at least someone among us didn't buy one! (Hey, one of us must have broken down and bought it. I already would have, if I had a spare one grand burning a hole in my pocket!)

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Dennis, aka DRB, has a beautiful Optimo 1000, in Porcelain White. I am certain he will chime in soon, else shoot him a PM.

Mulceber

Practically Family
Whoa, calm down. Perhaps you should address your post to Bruce Wayne who identified the hat on the site as the film hat.

@jlee562 - here's the big thread about the accuracy of Optimo's Dillinger offering. Basically, I was asking questions similar to the ones you're asking now. I acknowledged that of course Optimo made the PE hat, but commented that the reproduction didn't seem to be all that true to the screen-used hat. The thread ended up getting shut down because several member couldn't fathom that the original maker might not make a reproduction identical to the original and they therefore got angry and accused me of claiming Optimo didn't make the original Depp fedora. -M

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
@jlee562 - here's the big thread about the accuracy of Optimo's Dillinger offering. Basically, I was asking questions similar to the ones you're asking now. I acknowledged that of course Optimo made the PE hat, but commented that the reproduction didn't seem to be all that true to the screen-used hat. The thread ended up getting shut down because several member couldn't fathom that the original maker might not make a reproduction identical to the original and they therefore got angry and accused me of claiming Optimo didn't make the original Depp fedora. -M

Yeah, that was like, a year ago when I posted in this thread.

Mulceber

Practically Family
Ah ok, my mistake. Didn't take a close look at the date. I just saw this thread and assumed everything on it had been posted in the last few days. -M

DRB

One Too Many
Yes, I recently bought a new Porcelain White Optimo 1000. It truly is my favorite hat. I have wasted over $1500.00 on trying to find a hat that I like (I either gave them away or sold them). I wish I had spent it on one of these. This is one of the best $1000.00 I have ever invested. The hat far exceeds my expectations. It is the smoothest/softest feel to the hand. It literally feels like cotton balls when you stroke it. Easily a 100X (if you believe in X's).

It is 100% beaver unlike most (not all) of Optimo's hats which are a mix of beaver and hare or rabbit or nutria. The hat is perfectly balanced when it sits on my head.

I have found that the color white goes with so many different colored garments, making this not only a beautiful hat but also a hat that could be used on many occasions.

It is a sturdy hat, the felt is not so flimsy that it will lose it's shape quickly. I truly have never seen anything finer or softer. I cannot speak for the vintage hats as I do not own any.

Click on the link in my signature box and you will see several pictures posted of my "on going" collection.

Delectans and Zetwal, thanks for the mention. We are all here to learn and share information together.

Dec072010f17.jpg

Optimo1000Oct1220102.jpg

Optimo1000Jan052011.jpg

If you are careful, it will stay clean. If you have dirty fingers, wash your hands first. However, all hats can usually be cleaned.
I wear it only when I feel the need to look my best.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I believe it actually is Beaver with some mink blended in. That was how the 1000's were described when I was at the introduction of new felt colors. The Silver Belly fur is a 100% Beaver and some other felts have been made 100% Beaver occassionally.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I'd love to check out an Optimo 1000 to see how it compares to some of its vintage compatriots. Who does the finish work on an Optimo 1000 -- is it Graham himself?

Cheers,
JtL

DRB

One Too Many
RLK has a silverbelly that will knock your socks off!

fmw: Thank you Sir!

Jimmy, not sure, he has a team working for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy