Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Anyone Please Know Where To Find...

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
Does anyone please know where i could find a royal blue 3-piece suit that is not polyester? And does anyone know any stores in NYC where i could buy 3-piece suits between the $100-200 range?

carldelo

One Too Many
Fedord Spaniard said:
Does anyone please know where i could find a royal blue 3-piece suit that is not polyester? And does anyone know any stores in NYC where i could buy 3-piece suits between the $100-200 range?

That's a tough combination. For the past few years I've bought most of my suits at Syms at Park & 54th, sometimes at the downtown branch. Their usual prices are pretty good. Twice a year, in January and July they do their 'Bash' which takes another 30% off the regular prices. In January I did pick up a suit for $125 (Monsieur by Givenchy) but it's not a great suit, I bought it for its very light weight for dancing. There were some 3-piece suits in the $150-200 range, but not great quality. Syms is good because they have merchandise from multiple retailers so there is a large selection of brands (much better and cheaper than Century 21 where I no longer bother to shop). I usually check out what they have every couple of months, then go back during the Bash to buy what I want. Royal blue is an unusual color, but they may have it. Another positive for me - if you ask the staff to leave you alone to browse in peace, they actually do it.

Feraud

Bartender
Fedord Spaniard said:

You list three difficult specs.
1 - Royal Blue
2 - Non poly cloth
3 - $100-200 range.
I believe this is impossible. If you are willing to modify your options you might find something in the Herald Square area. Maybe..

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Another vote for Syms....

carldelo said:
For the past few years I've bought most of my suits at Syms at Park & 54th, sometimes at the downtown branch. Their usual prices are pretty good. Twice a year, in January and July they do their 'Bash' which takes another 30% off the regular prices.

Dear FS,
Can't speak to the NY Mothership...but there's a Syms up here North of Beantown, and my experience--as well as that of my dear wife--has been superlative. You never know what might be there...but I have gotten some amazing stuff, usually VERY cheaply. The "stranger" your tastes are--or the odder your size (I qualify on both counts :rolleyes: ) the more amazing your finds may be, if perhaps less frequent. We never miss the Bash, particularly the Winter one; it seems--up here, again--to have the better selection. Interestingly, "our" bashes are February and August...I'm guessing they ship up what doesn't sell in NY, based on what Carldelo has said!

Take home: can't promise you'll find what you're looking for...but I doubt you'll come home empty handed. One find: 3 Borsalino fedoras, 2 that were small for me but fit my wife and one that actually DID fit me (7 3/8), for $35.00 apiece....

Good luck!
"Skeet"

carldelo

One Too Many
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]Dear FS,
The "stranger" your tastes are--or the odder your size (I qualify on both counts :rolleyes: ) the more amazing your finds may be, if perhaps less frequent.

One find: 3 Borsalino fedoras, 2 that were small for me but fit my wife and one that actually DID fit me (7 3/8), for $35.00 apiece....

"Skeet"[/QUOTE]

Borsalino! You're killin' me, I've never seen one at the Syms in NY.
It's true what you say about weird styles and sizes. They have portly, short, athletic, from size 36 up to 50 I think. I have so many suits at this point that it's the non-standard colors and styles that I look for now - and Syms usually accommodates. You need to have an open mind to benefit - a few years back I scored a $1495 Hickey Freeman 3-piece tweed suit for $375 - although I had only gone in to buy some blouses for my wife.

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
Thank You for all the information that ive gotten so far genlemen. One example of the royal blue suit that im looking for is the one that Adam Sandler wore in the movie Punch Drunk Love. I love the way that suit looks.. ive always wanted a 3 piece one in that color. I would even be happy if i find a regular 2-piece in that color but not 100% poly, which is the only way ive been able to find a RB suit.

Ive always hated name brand clothing and never buy any intentionally. The kind of clothing i like to buy and wear is clothing thats durable and will last me years. I would like to find 3-piece suits that are durable and nice, i put the $100-200 range because ive noticed expensive suits tend to be expensive only because of the name on it, instead of the kinds materials used to make it. I was once given as a gift a $300 calvin Klein 2-piece suit and after 3 years it started to rip. I have suits that are not name brand (hahaha i know everything has a brand name but you know what i mean) and they have lasted me longer than the CK suit. Since alot of you gentlemen have many more years wearing this kind of clothing than i do, what kind of durable materials should i look for in suits? What should the average price range be for durable 3-piece suits and where should i buy? Keeping in mind that i am middle class and not rich lol Also since the times are tough right now i dont have much dough:D .

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Do you really mean ROYAL blue (aka Dodger Blue?) or do mean a darker blue like navy? I'm not so sure I'd want to be seen in a royal blue suit. It's pretty bright.

billyspew

One Too Many
I think he does...
movie_punch-drunk_love02.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I regularly see commercials for places that would sell you a suit in that color, shirt, tie, & shoes for under $200.

Oh, all the suits have at least 4 buttons.
kingsofcomedy.jpg

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
dhermann1 said:
Do you really mean ROYAL blue (aka Dodger Blue?) or do mean a darker blue like navy? I'm not so sure I'd want to be seen in a royal blue suit. It's pretty bright.

Yea, Royal Bue.

billyspew said:
I think he does...
movie_punch-drunk_love02.jpg

Thanks billy, for the picture from the movie and yea thats the suit.

Lefty said:
I regularly see commercials for places that would sell you a suit in that color, shirt, tie, & shoes for under $200.

Oh, all the suits have at least 4 buttons.
kingsofcomedy.jpg

Ive seen some 2 button and 3 button ones.... if its a 3-piece suit i want the 2 button jacket. If its a 2 piece i want the 3 button one.... I dont like suits with more than 3 buttons..

carldelo

One Too Many
Sometimes you get what you pay for - often this is the case with suits. A suit that costs less than $200 will be of poly blend or cheap wool and will wrinkle like, well, a cheap suit. I am an academic, so don't have loads of money either. I shop at Syms because I can get a good quality wool suit for around $250-$400 which is my upper limit at the moment. In that range I usually have my pick from CK (low-medium quality), Boss and Joseph Abboud (medium-high quality). There are plenty of other good brands there with cuts that don't suit me (HSM, Armani, plus various hipster brands with double vent jackets). If I find a really nice Hickey-Freeman it is usually in the $499+ range. At the Bash sales I mentioned, they come down in price so I might pick one up then, but only if the jacket is ventless.

I have definitely found that higher priced wool drapes better, stays nice-looking longer, and will shed wrinkles better so it need less cleaning and pressing. I beat the crap out of my suits and believe that a little more money up front buys a much better garment. I have a few cheap-ish suits that I bought specifically because they're very thin wool and cool for the summer and for dancing. I hate sweating like crazy into an expensive suit, so I expect my cheap dancing suits to wear out quickly, both from wear and repeated cleanings and pressings. If you want a suit that lasts a long time, I think you have to pay the money up front for high quality wool, or get used to the feel of polyester.

PS I would wager that one of the reasons Adam Sandler's suit is appealing is that it's probably custom made from extremely high quality materials by a truly talented tailor. A $150 version of that suit is not going to be so agreeable.

carldelo

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
A tailor can easily close the vents for a nominal fee.;)

Good point - I have a sport jacket and a HF suit jacket that need their vents closed up, but I haven't gotten around to having them altered yet. They're out of my mind lately as I've more or less stopped wearing either.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore