Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does fedora with adjustable sweatband ever exist?

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
I wonder no one has ever had a thought to create such thing? Of course I don't know whether it's feasible or not. Well, most baseball caps apply adjustable strap / to adjust the wearer's hat size. Why no similar device ever applied in fedora? This way, problem concerning "lack of big size" can be better handled, right?

If any of you hatter manage to create it, though, better patent register it of course :)

Daoud

One of the Regulars
I'm quite sure it could be done fairly easily, but....WHY?????

If I am going to spend very much money at all on a hat, I jolly well want it to fit my head properly without adjusting a tab.

Isn't the small, medium & large thing bad enough?

Most people who are serious about baseball caps buy the fitted ones anyway.;)

Torpedo

One Too Many
If I am not mistaken, the bow on modern hats' sweatband is a relic of a time when the device was actually workable, and allowed for some adjustment.

Anyway, I do not think you could make a one-size-fits-all adjustable liner/sweatband system, not because it is technically impossible (such a system is used for protective -military or civilian- helmets, for instance); the problem is the outer felt "shell" has to be close to the size, too, or the whole will not look good. The felt would "float" around your head.

Regards!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
In the 1800s, before fedoras were popular, it was common for hats to be offered in the sizes we dislike in hats today - small, medium, and large. There was a drawstring in the sweatband to "customize" the fit. You can see this look in some vintage fedoras, but I've never seen one that actually used the drawstring.
Here's a more recent derby that illustrates the old style, but even it has a specific hat size. I don't know if they're still doing this sort of thing for equestrian related hats.
DSC_0056.jpg

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Although the ribbons below are only a detail in theory the concept would work.
The Royal Stetson
DSCN3533.jpg

The Royal Stetson
DSCN4986.jpg

Borsalino Trionfo
DSCN6492.jpg

Borsalino Trionfo
DSCN3055.jpg

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
Aaah, so it is indeed possible! Thanks for the info guys! But certainly if we base the idea on Douglas' example, I think it could be expensive to built... the hatter need plenty of extra work...

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
You need to understand that it will only function for "fine-tuning" the size.
It couldn't work with a Fedora, as a "drawstring", adjusting from size to size-
the sweatband would pucker and as it is sewn to the hat, would also distort the hat. Perhaps, if the sweatband was not attached to the hat around the whole circumference, it would be more functional- adjusting the size of the sweatband without distorting the hat. I have a couple of hats from the 1920s with the same type of "adjustable" system as Douglas' examples. More of a flourish, perhaps, than a functional detail.

B
T

Sizor Adjustable Sweatband.

Found in a recently acquired Knox baku/buntal straw... the first patent was issued to Abraham Blum in 1929 for a method of adjusting the size of cloth caps, the second patent in 1935 shows a mechanism for adjusting the opening of a hat. The white sleeve behind the sweatband contains a narrow cloth band which can be adjusted and secured with a metal clip behind the rear of the sweatband.

Also found behind the sweatband were pieces of a bus baggage claim, dated 1944.

knoxbuntal1.jpg

sizor1.jpg

sizor2.jpg

sizor3.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
As with many other patents, the Knox line seems to have had a different name for the Blum patent. Dobbs called it a Trusize.

Thanks, Alan! Any other factory labels?

Brad

Thanks Brad - I couldn't find another label other than a price tag. I will take a picture of the works behind the rear of the sweat and add later.

knoxbuntal4.jpg

sizor4.jpg

froguy

New in Town
Thanks Brad - I couldn't find another label other than a price tag. I will take a picture of the works behind the rear of the sweat and add later.

knoxbuntal4.jpg

sizor4.jpg

You nabbed this one out from under me, the bidding stayed pretty low till the last minutes. It looks like an absolutely beautiful hat but I was a little reluctant to bid higher as it would likely be small for me UNLESS the adjustability really works. So..... now that you have it to play around with what do you think in regards this straw hat? Could you get as much as 1/8 larger out of it?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
The Blum patent said it could be used within about three sizes, so I would imagine that it means, in practical application, that it's installed in a hat at the middle size, which would permit the wearer to go up or down one size from there. I can't imagine it working up three sizes as well as down three sizes; that seems to be too much of a stretch, pun intended. I've never messed with them, as I had one once that the metal clip broke due to the age of the hat. I left the one on the Gay Prince alone.

Brad

Mr.Astor

Banned
My Schoble- "lastex"is an adjustable sweatband patent #1973594. Also have a boater with a draw string that you can adjust to your hat size,I would have to dig it out of the archive to give you the name of manufacturer,not quite straw weather here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy