Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does sizing realy matter?

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
I was cruising DelMonico's web sight and saw a Panama hat I thought looked nice and clicked on it. When checking so see if my size was in stock I found out the is was sized S,M,L,XL. When I saw that I automatically felt of it as cheep I don't want that.

So was I being a snob? Does sizing without numbers matter or on some types does it not and others yes? What do you think?

Jeff

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I was cruising DelMonico's web sight and saw a Panama hat I thought looked nice and clicked on it. When checking so see if my size was in stock I found out the is was sized S,M,L,XL. When I saw that I automatically felt of it as cheep I don't want that.

So was I being a snob? Does sizing without numbers matter or on some types does it not and others yes? What do you think?

Jeff

I have one of PB's sale Cuenca's and it was a L and I wear a 7 3/8 US. It's a nice, very well made hat so I don't think you can neccessarily equate a hat ( Panama) as being "cheap" just for being sized in that manner. You really would have to consider other factors such as the seller, their product line's quality etc. Remember, the general sizing of SML etc is a compromise so if you fit inside an L's range it might fit a 7 3/8 thru 7 3/4 so might not fit as well as aan individually sized hat.

randooch

I'll Lock Up

Jeff

And then, too, even with "accurate" sizing, sometimes a size will feel loose or tight depending on shrinkage, materials, etc., so there goes the accuracy. i know what you mean, though: when I see a generic size category (M, L, XL) I pretty much move on.

Edward

Bartender
I wouldn't discount something just because it's not numbered sizing: I have a couple of beautiful, cotton-linen blend jackets that fit me as if bespoke (once sleeves were shortened) from Uniqlo, of all places. Generic 'large', but spot on for me. Same for caps. I'd be slightly more wary of a fedora-style (whether felt or straw) in generic, letter sizing, as it does tend to be something that is more common with lower end products, but you never know. Give it a go and see, you might just find that you are spot on their idea of "medium" or whatever. IMO it never hurts to have a cheap extra straw or two around the place for those occasions where you don't want to worry about what happens if it gets sat on or whatever.....

I agree with Edward. If an item fit me well enough I wouldn't discount it simply because it was a generic size, but I might be more hesitant to purchase a generically sized item online (i.e., without being able to try it on). Then again, with all of the variables inherent in clothing manufacturing processes, you could just as easily buy two items that are supposed to be the same size and find out they fit differently. *shrug*

Last edited:

fmw

One Too Many
it doesn't matter to me. M is 7 1/8 which is my size. I have hats marked 7 1/8 that range from quite tight to floppy loose. Some of the ones that fit me best are M. If I were size 7, however, I would not likely buy hats marked M.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn