Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does This Make Sense to Any of You?

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
The USA network runs a series called "White Collar" where the main character is a con man who wears a stingy brim fedora, skinny ties, and Sy Devore suits.

On the network website's "Guide to Neal's Style" (http://www.usanetwork.com/series/whitecollar/features/nealstyle/) this sentence appears: "His look is classic 40's chic with a modern edge." and it goes on.

I tried pointing out in White Collar forum that really nothing about the way Neal dress is 1940's but early 1960's Rat Pack with a "modern edge."

Here is what I wrote and the snarky response from the site's bartender.

The online feature about Neil's style is a nice touch but you got the wrong decade.

He does not dress in a 1940's style, but in the Rat Pack style of the early 60's.

The fedora is a stingy brim which wasn't popular or widespread in the 40's.

His jacket lapels and ties are skinny and long. Again, and early 1960's design. The sheen of his suits suggest sharkskin - again early 60's.

Right in the pilot, Neal gets suits once sold by Sy Devore - the clothier for Sinatra and Dean Martin (in the 1960's).

If Neal had wide lapels, short ties, and wide brimmed hats, you could say he had a 1940's style.

To learn more about 30's and 40's fashion, check out www.thefedoralounge.com

THE RESPONSE:

What I read was she said he had taken the '40s look and up-scaled it Rat-pack. His fashion sense....combining things to get his personal look.

And, Brian....I'm going to have this thread moved into the "How you wear your hat" thread.
Nancee

Does that - or the description of Neal's clothes - make any sense to any of you? I just want them to correctly identify the era from which they are copying and from what I learned here - the 1940's ain't it!

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Even though I really like the show, they made a mistake by identifying the base era as the 1940s, then explain it as somehow tweaked into a modern look.

Do they think it's "classic" "40s" because the character wears a hat? His outfit looks more like some ska band's threads.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Brian Sheridan said:
Right in the pilot, Neal gets suits once sold by Sy Devore - the clothier for Sinatra and Dean Martin (in the 1960's).

Agree with you on all points except the one above. Sy Devore made custom suits for Dean Martin as far back as the early 1950s. I know this because I owned one of those suits.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I pointed out in a follow up post the writer of this feature probably did just that - see a hat and think it was the 1940's because she saw fedoras in that Johnny Depp movie ("Wasn't that the 40s?)...

Marc, I thought DeVore probably went back into the 50's but I didn't want to confuse those people any more. Those early Rat Pack clothes owed a lot to the 50's fashion sense.

I wouldn't blame anyone with the show because it is the USA website and the show runners probably have little or nothing to do with its content.

Glad you all here have a good sense about the importance of being correct in siting stuff like clothing eras. Thanks!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner