Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does wearing vintage Get you noticed by the opposite sex?

Kabel

Familiar Face
Well… It does get me quite a few looks, even from gals who do have boyfriends, but no approaches. I do also doubt the fact if the looks are out of interest. I think it is most likely detest or more in the lines of; look at that moron…

angeljenny

A-List Customer
Richard,
and I'm not saying that's wrong. I just prefer for the contact to two-sided, not "one side making a move on the other". As in, I can start a conversation, but I prefer the gentleman to do the asking - hopelessly old-fashioned! :eek:

I much prefer the old fashioned way! Although some men I meet on evenings out make me wish that people had to be formally introduced rather than just launching into conversation, back to the Regency way - I could avoid some of the drunks and oddities I seem to attract then. :D

I couldn't agree more. If I see a woman who is dressed with some class. I'm immediately drawn. It just sets off that 'wow' thought in my head. Usually, a woman who has the smarts to put together such an outfit has some brains. It's very nice to be able to talk to a lady with smarts. I recently made a friend and she wants to be an Astrophysicist. I know nothing about it but just talking about something so intelligent is refreshing. Who wants to talk about the newest episode of 'The Hills?'

Sorry to get off topic there.

I noticed that feminine clothing (e.g. skirts that begin at your waist and not 1 cm above the pubic bone) and manners tends to get men's attention. Maybe because it stands out SO much these days, I don't know.
Also, from the other side, I think girls DO like men, who dress vintage. But they have to have that certain degree of self-awareness and courage to date/be together with a person, who looks, from the mainstream perspective, different. Unfortunately, many lack that quality.

As concerning approaching the opposite sex - Guys, we can give you several perfectly suitable openings. But you have to take them! What C-dot quoted is a very-very true thing in most cases!

P.S. Travis, Tom - you are gems!

I couldn't agree more. If I see a woman who is dressed with some class. I'm immediately drawn. It just sets off that 'wow' thought in my head. Usually, a woman who has the smarts to put together such an outfit has some brains. It's very nice to be able to talk to a lady with smarts. I recently made a friend and she wants to be an Astrophysicist. I know nothing about it but just talking about something so intelligent is refreshing. Who wants to talk about the newest episode of 'The Hills?'

That probably explains why it's usually Asian women that dress very well out here. :)

rue

Bump :)

Does it get me noticed? Yes. In a good way? Um.... not so sure about that. I think the men around here think I have a screw loose for dressing this way lol
I'm the only vintage dressing person I know of here unless you count the people that dress like cowboys and saloon girls from the 1800s.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Whenever I'm out I almost always get a compliment such as "I like your hat" or "you are dresses so nice.". Funny thing is, it's usually younger women (way younger than me) who make these comments. I have to wonder, if they like this "look" so much then why don't guys their age dress this way (or at least "nice")?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Many years ago, I had a couple of oblivious PYTs ask me what I had under my hat at a dance club/meat market. My wife-at-the-time and her friend were right there so I was unable to 'show' them, even if I had been inclined to do so.

Even back then, I was older than the average open-shirt-to-the-waist, slick-haired, hunk-of-the-minute. I was wearing a sport jacket, vest, tie, and hat. The girls had singled me out.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Nothing gets me noticed by the opposite sex. And I've tried everything.

Oh, I've had the occasional compliment. Last March, as I boarded a plane, my VS Tucker fedora in hand, the stewardess murmured to me, "How nice to see a man who knows not to wear his hat indoors." But "noticed" in the really good way? Not that I can tell.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I have to wonder, if they like this "look" so much then why don't guys their age dress this way (or at least "nice")?

Because guys their age can 'get' women even without dressing nice, let alone "this way".

I knew a decidedly unattractive guy who discovered a way (before eBay existed) to lure in some decidedly pretty vintage-minded women: he became very good at finding vintage 1930s and '40s lingerie at estate sales, flea markets, etc. Women would flock to this fella for his trove of lingerie. If a woman agreed to model an item for him, he'd sell it to her at a steep discount. Some women got lingerie for free, but I never found out what they did for it.

Last edited:

rue

Nothing gets me noticed by the opposite sex. And I've tried everything.

Oh, I've had the occasional compliment. Last March, as I boarded a plane, my VS Tucker fedora in hand, the stewardess murmured to me, "How nice to see a man who knows not to wear his hat indoors." But "noticed" in the really good way? Not that I can tell.

But you have a girlfriend, so I'm guessing she must have noticed :)

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
But you have a girlfriend, so I'm guessing she must have noticed :)
Miss Linda is an Original. One way or another, she and I have been intertwined in each other's lives for, well, I'd better not say how long. She dresses well but not really vintage -- though nowadays, any woman wearing a dress and nice shoes in public seems like a glamour model amid the endless sea of T-shirts and shorts, right? I suppose she's proud to be seen with me.

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
My husband loves me and that's all that matters to me!

However, I have had a few comments from other men. I don't like it! I've never been able to take a compliment and it makes me feel really uncomfortable.

I had one guy a few weeks back asking me if my hair was real and could he touch it! [huh]

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I went out for a few drinks with a couple of male pals the other night. I did actually bring up this very subject. (After a few drinks of course'in vino veritas' and all that...). For the record, I'm single and have been for a long time. I do get compliments from the opposite sex, on the whole they tend to be either senior citizens, or chaps who are into the whole vintage thing, although the senior citizens are in the majority as there are very few people who dress like me where i live.

The upshot was my gay friend thinks i'm fabulous and i can do no wrong and all the men out there must be mad, (gotta love the guy)! My other friend said although he liked my look, it was a little intimidating, as i look so well groomed all the time and perhaps certain guys would be put off by that or assume that i was high maintenance or even out of their league. He was rather sheepish during the conversation and i appreciated his honesty, but it did make me think of course about how other people percieve me. I for one don't see myself as this unapproachable, fierce creature.

Sorry to go a little off topic, but i thought i would share my recent findings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart