Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does wearing vintage Get you noticed by the opposite sex?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I just have to pipe in here on this subject. For me, Vintage as a look normally has something non casual to it, even though one could be just wearing a sweater with slacks, (for a guy) or what ever Vintage clothing a gal could be wearing. Yet for the most part, what I wear Vintage, puts me into a suit or sportscoat, which them puts me into a shirt with at least cuff links, a tie, wingtips or spectators, and a fedora. That all adds up to being well dressed, neat and sharp in appearance, unlike wearing a pair of "pants on the ground" look. Now for the part of this, does it attract the opposite sex? Have to say, yes. I can be with my Wife even, out and about, and will have side looks, flirts, and even statements from gals regarding how I am looking sharp. I think the not so vintage song by ZZ Top, sharp dressed man, says it all. The same as when we a guy sees a gal dressed nicely. Vintage is not the only being dressed nicely out there, but for the most part, more than not, Vintage is being well dressed and yes, people no matter what, are going to take notice.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
We'll see what happens this evening! Other than wearing my vintage furs with modern gowns, my guy has never seen me actually decked out in the vintage garb. Decided to pull out some vintage and vintage inspired pieces to wear for him this Valentine's evening. We're making a quiet dinner at his place then out to a series Social Ballroom dance series class we've been taking. For them vintage pieces I've got a fabulous straw tilt hat with provenance of April 18, 1941, a stone marten stole (I call them my four furry friends), a 40's ivory rayon trapunto detailed with halo buttons blazer, beige pearl edged wrist length gloves, goldtone clip earrings and taupe lace up 40s shoes. The vintage-inspired pieces are a lipstick pink 40s-ish style silk blouse, and a long Ralph Lauren beige wool gored skirt. I'll be quite the vintage sight when he opens the door of his 1941-built house to greet me! Can't wait!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Not really, it is mostly ladies from 25 - 90 that comments on my style in a good way. I like how women are always very friendly and I end up swapping names of great stores, modern shoes that look vintage etc. I don't really mind being a bit invisible to the opposite sex though.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I don't dress vintage - so it must be something else ;)

Naaa...the only "vintage" I have is my Irvin jacket and some scarfs, cravats etc.
And I must admit that my Irvin sometimes attracts the opposite sex. Some want to touch and cuddle - others just wants to borrow it, when it's freezing cold. I let the - off course!

WW2WaltUSMC

New in Town
I wear a suit, tie, and fedora every day to class. It certainly gets me noticed by the fairer sex, but men notice me just as much. I think wearing vintage clothing is only part of the deal. You need the mindset and attitude to back it up. You have to possess the class to take the criticisms and the compliments both with grace and tact. You have to have manners and conduct yourself as a gentleman (or lady) ought to. You have to have the confidence to wear clothing that while smashing is not the mainstream, and do so without being haughty. My girlfriend told me recently she may have liked my looks when we met, but what really hooked her was that I spoke intelligently and confidently without being a jerk. Look sharp, act sharp, be sharp.

Edward

Bartender
Well, pushing around six years on the vintage scene now, and only once in the last seven or so has it looked like coming close to an actual relationship. I've had quite a few offers, which may or may not have been affected by the vintage thing. I don't know - and to be honest, I don't much care. I'm indifferent to whether women in general find me attractive - only whether a specific one does. Thus far I'm sitting on a duck, and it definitely isn't the clothes are the problem. But.... whatever.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Excellent comments here, WW2Walt. Well put, Sir!

I wear a suit, tie, and fedora every day to class. It certainly gets me noticed by the fairer sex, but men notice me just as much. I think wearing vintage clothing is only part of the deal. You need the mindset and attitude to back it up. You have to possess the class to take the criticisms and the compliments both with grace and tact. You have to have manners and conduct yourself as a gentleman (or lady) ought to. You have to have the confidence to wear clothing that while smashing is not the mainstream, and do so without being haughty. My girlfriend told me recently she may have liked my looks when we met, but what really hooked her was that I spoke intelligently and confidently without being a jerk. Look sharp, act sharp, be sharp.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
when I wore my vintage outfit on Valentine's Day evening- As soon as my bf opened the door and saw me, he enthusiastically greeted me with, "Wow! Let me get my camera!". We went to a dance class and all of the ladies and gents there commented positively on my outfit, especially about my 1941 hat.

IMG_2766.jpg

Folks just are not used to seeing ladies dressed well, like a lady these days, even in a simple skirt and blouse or a nice dress. My bf takes much delight in seeing me dressed as such. He has his 'favourite dresses' of mine that he likes to see me in. Maybe I'm just a novelty here in No. Calif. dressing like this. Even at dance classes, often I am the only gal wearing a dress rather than pants with a top.

Last edited:

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Saturday evening for dancing I wore a little vintage multi-coloured chinese style silk blouse, and my vintage 30s mens tuxedo trousers I've had for some 25+ years that I had altered to fit me. My bf, during the dance lesson as I was walking to him to partner up, looked right at me after sizing up my outfit up and down and said "Lovely. Just lovely."

found these two older pics taken in this same outfit I wore again 2/18/2012 (without the little hat and curled up hairdo)
IMG_2656_2.jpg

this closeup shows the colours and pattern of the silk fabric in the blouse well
IMG_2652Careyonlycropped-1.jpg

What I found interesting about the vintage mens' heavy wool tuxedo pants, is that when worn with a nice ladies vintage blouse, and one's hair and makeup done simply and well, it can come off as a very feminine look.

Last edited:

Pompidou

One Too Many
I could be wrong, but I'm thinking there's got to be a matching personality to an outfit that makes a point of standing out. That's the hard part. Getting noticed? It's hard not to get a nice hat now and then, but the follow through makes all the difference. Is it counterproductive to wear more personality than one has? The hardest thing about this all seems not to be looking nice, but looking you. Otherwise you disappoint.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
It can be kind of a build-up. That's why so many new hat wearers begin with stingy brims, for example. They don't want the hat to have too much more 'personality' than they do. Then they become comfortable under said hat, it becomes a part of them, and then sometimes there is thought about trying a different, maybe wider brim and taller, squarer crown, which at first, could be more than the wearer feels comfortable under, again, the hat having more 'personality' than the wearer feels he has, himself. Over time, the wearer again meets the hat somewhere in that middle ground of acceptability and acceptance. And sometimes, it doesn't happen, and the hat wearer knows he has reached his limit regarding hat size and/or style.

This is not to say that a non-hat wearing modern male has never plopped a 30s-style, square-crowned, wide brimmed fedora on his head and instantly thought, 'Yes! This is ME!' Obviously, he feels he has the personality to match the hat. But it does work both ways, depending on the individual.

Flicka

One Too Many
I'd say vintage clothes can be used as a test - anyone put off by it likely isn't one I'd be interested in anyway.

Like one of my fave musicians said: 'peer pressure is for sheep and worrying about people thinking you're cool is lame.' I couldn't love a farm animal.

Edward

Bartender
I'd say vintage clothes can be used as a test - anyone put off by it likely isn't one I'd be interested in anyway.

Like one of my fave musicians said: 'peer pressure is for sheep and worrying about people thinking you're cool is lame.' I couldn't love a farm animal.

Absolutely agreed on both points. One thing I know for certain is that while it may or may not have attracted any individual ladies to me over the years, the vintage thing certainly hasn't put any of them off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot