Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Doesn't Beauty Start With A Smile?

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
I was out last night (first time in years!) and I noticed that
some of the ladies that were dressed up in genuine vintage
wear never seemed to crack a smile. I felt that it brought a
coldness to their look.

I thought to myself..."My oh My how important a smile is!"

LadyStardust

Practically Family
"You're never fully dressed without a smile!"..and all that jazz?;)

I would hazard that maybe either they weren't confident in what they were wearing, themselves...or perhaps they were just in sour moods. [huh]

But I agree, a smile completes any outfit, and obviously adds warmth and ease to the situation.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That's something that really bugs me about the modern generation -- that whole blase, hip-ironic-too-cool-for-it-all attitude where a smug smirk is about as close as you get to a smile. It comes across, to me at least, as both cold and self-involved, and is very unflattering, no matter how one is dressed. Lighten up, kids!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Well, I have a very animated smiling style in person but I usually DON'T smile in pictures, not more than a closed-mouth smirk, just because I don't like how it comes out looking in photos.

-Viola

vonwotan

Practically Family
Several folks in the Boston area took it upon themselves to sign a pledge. Frustrated with the sour expressions seen on fellow pedestrians, we agreed to smile and say hello to our neighbors and fellow communters. With some exceptions, smiles were generally returned and, not infrequently, accompanied by a friendly hello.

Very encouraging that such a simple gesture can still elicit a positive response. However, we did notice a few people who seemed to take offense to any attention directed their way. Perhaps if enough of us smile, doff our hats, or say hello, the rest will learn to accept or appreciate this practice?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
My grandmother always said that pretty is as pretty does. No matter have lovely a person might be on the outside, if she is not nice on the inside, her beauty is tarnished a bit.

I do agree--having a smile on your face often encourages others to smile back :)

ITG

Call Me a Cab
jitterbugdoll said:
My grandmother always said that pretty is as pretty does. No matter have lovely a person might be on the outside, if she is not nice on the inside, her beauty is tarnished a bit.

I do agree--having a smile on your face often encourages others to smile back :)
Yes I agree. It's amazing how much a smile can make a difference. I've met so many good looking people but they seem so cold when approached but a smile can really break the ice.

MissHuff

A-List Customer
I've always been accused of having a cheery disposition by people because I am always smiling and not in a good way. Since when was being friendly a bad thing? I like to smile and smile at people because I am a people person and like that to be known. It's really unfortunate to see all the people walking down the street looking like they're about to murder the next person that catches their eye let alone smiles at them. What would Emily Post say!

How is anyone ever supposed to approach you if you don't present a friendly face?

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Honestly in a lot of public situations, I'm trying to keep a stonier face so that I DON'T get approached. Not a scowl, but apparently some people get the wrong idea if you nod or smile or even respond to them at all, sometimes.

-Viola

Naama

Practically Family
Viola said:
Well, I have a very animated smiling style in person but I usually DON'T smile in pictures, not more than a closed-mouth smirk, just because I don't like how it comes out looking in photos.

-Viola

Funny, but it's exactly the same thing with me lol I just can't stand myself smiling in pictures, most of the time.

Naama

Kim_B

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
My grandmother always said that pretty is as pretty does.

My Grandmother always said this to me as well!

I always try to keep a smile on my face - people tend to be a lot more friendly when you're smiling!

waingirl

One of the Regulars
I have had some people that I know come up to me and ask me what is wrong, then "you should smile more". I guess I don't even realize it, I am in a fine mood, maybe happy even, but my face just doesn't present it well. I think it has something to do with being shy. If someone smiles at me, I do smile back though. :D

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Viola said:
Honestly in a lot of public situations, I'm trying to keep a stonier face so that I DON'T get approached. Not a scowl, but apparently some people get the wrong idea if you nod or smile or even respond to them at all, sometimes.

-Viola

I've been trying not to smile as much lately too, for the same reasons! But when I'm with friends or my boyfriend, I can't help but smiling like a goon all night.

I remember I was at a Dita Von Teese book signing last year there were two very nicely dressed vintage girls that just looked so unfriendly and dour. Since they came together, I couldn't understand why they weren't smiling and joking around. It just made them look like they were trying too hard.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I was having a really rough day over Christmas and at about 4:30 we were finally slow enough to go get our lunches, and I must have looked really sour, cause I had someone call to me on the walk saying, "You should smile you'd be really pretty if you smiled more!" I was in such a miserable mood that I seriously entertained the thought of slapping them, but when I thought about it later it's true, you do look prettier when you smile, and not only that you feel better and friendlier.

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
It really bothers me when strangers tell me to "cheer up!" or "smile!" I don't think my face is any of their business. Perhaps I should comment on their faces?

I don't go around grinning like an idiot. I don't make a conscious effort to smile or not smile if I'm not on a stage. I have other things to think about.

--Leslie

(Edited to add) This is not to say that I think people who smile a lot are idiots...not at all! But I would feel foolish if I did so.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
A kind, pleasant expression is a good thing, but to try to smile continually? My face would be tired, and everybody would know I was faking it. I can't help thinking of the movie Ed Wood where Johnny Depp constantly wore a grin. :eusa_doh:

And people who say "smile!" "Cheer up!" Maybe they think they are the director of a show. Someday they are going to give their directions to "Smile!" to someone who has just lost a job or is in mourning.

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
Paisley said:
And people who say "smile!" "Cheer up!" Maybe they think they are the director of a show. Someday they are going to give their directions to "Smile!" to someone who has just lost a job or is in mourning.

People that do that bug me, they don't know the person they are telling to smile, for all they know that stranger may well have been told bad news. So telling them to "cheer up", or my personal favourite "it might never happen", isn't the best idea. If those people really wanted to see people smiling maybe they should make the effort to find out why they aren't smiling in the first place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit