Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dog ownership - questions, costs??

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It is a HUGE investment, financially; time; resources. The return is upto 16 years of 'unconditional love, company and loyalty.'

I have two rescue dogs (Schnauzers). They are both 'magic,' because they 'transform' a house into a 'home.' I cannot put a price on ALL that they bring me.

But - most decisions are made 'around' the dogs. Example: Who lets them out for a comfort break during my working day? Where will they be kennelled and looked after during holidays away? ..etc

They require at 'least' two good walks a day (they often get more - but 'then' so do I..!). They need 'play time' (where I interact with 'just them'), they need feeding, they need vet's visits and annual injections, kennel fees are high (if I go away) or pay someone to look after them, and they do take up 'personal time' (which is very rewarding - but not everyone's cup of tea).

It can be 16 years of heaven...or hell, depending on 'your personality type.' Luckily... "I'm in heaven."

'If in doubt' then don't commit, as it is a huge commitment.

My wife and I have 6 dogs. We also have no children. So all the money we may have spent for schools, clothes, toys, for kids goes to our dogs. The amount of pleasure and well-being we get from them is well worth it to me. 3 of those are rescues and the bond you get from a rescued dog is like no other, even from a dog you raise from puppyhood. It's almost as if they are thanking you for giving them a home. Just make absolutely certain you really want one before you make the leap, the shelters are full of unwanted pets.

We had to put our rescue doggie down four years ago. We got her right before our son was born, and it was very traumatic. Now, we have four (rescue) cats and are preparing for a three-week vacation. Finding the right person to care for them was excruciating. Like PADDY says - you can't put a price on them, in time or love or money. I think in your heart, you know if it's for you, or just the idea seems romantic or fun or whatever.
Think of it like adopting a child. If you don't want to clean up, feed, train, love, pay for medical bills, etc. then skip it and get a goldfish :)

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
You still have to play taps and flush a goldfish don't you?
I agree with Hatophile, my wife and I don't have kids either, but 2 dogs.
Dedication is the key. One of our dogs was a rescue, that we put a lot of love and money into to get her back to health. The other one was almost feral, that I chased shortly after buying, after she bit me out of fear. I chased her into the woods, about 1/8 of a mile before she got stuck trying to crawl under a log. I grabbed her, getting bit and clawed all over, but I wouldn't let go. I carried her all the way back, changed into my pajamas (we were on the way home from clear across the state to get her, and it was all I had CLEAN in the car), and drove 9hrs home. I still bear the scars to prove it. :D 3yrs later, this is one of the funniest, smartest dogs I've ever owned. Almost clownish in nature. She and her "sister" aren't perfect, but they show what dedication can do. Their past is all but a memory, except for a few quirks here and there (habits mostly) that we are still working on. Pets are what you put into them, time and money wise. But they give you such a great reward. Except cats, I hate cats. I've taught my girls to do that same. ;)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You still have to play taps and flush a goldfish don't you?

I buried all my goldfish in empty jewerly boxes on top of the cotton, digging a little hole with a garden trowel, when I was a kid. I agree that pets are what you put into them. It is incredibly sad that their lives are so much shorter than ours.

One of the things I would encourage anyone to do, particularly people who have time or resources to do so, is to adopt a special needs pet. Right now we have a FIV and FeLeu positive cat who was originally a stray. He's been incredibly good to us, just as we have been to him. From now on we're probably going to adopt primarily FIV+ cats.

Feraud

Bartender
I applaud your compassion sheeplady. Too often pets are seen as disposable items. The sad result are the animals currently sitting in shelters.

Anyone who is interested in owning any type of pet needs to understand the financial and personal commitment required. It is perfectly acceptable to say "I don't want to spend this amount of money or time for a pet". It is not acceptable to adopt a pet for time then get rid of them when it inconveniences you. Most excuses I've heard for getting rid of pets are pathetic. People need to think before they act.

A pet in the home is great for children.
My wife and I grew up with pets and included them in our married life. My son't first word was bird for the cockatiel we owned.
Feeding fish, refilling bird feeders, and taking care of larger animals is a great way to teach children responsibility and compassion.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
I'll chime in and agree with everyone else: if you're not willing to spend a lot of money, time, and attention to a dog, please do the dog a favor and don't adopt it.

I think it's great that you're looking to a rescue dog from the Humane Society (the only way to go, in my opinion). Perhaps it would be helpful to us if you told us your reasons for wanting a dog?

Just like with kids, medical emergencies can crop up at any time. We lost our dog of 11 years a couple of months ago due to such an emergency so I'm still feeling very emotional about the topic. She had to be rushed into emergency surgery to try and save her from stomach bloat and there was no question in my mind about not trying to save her, or taking a moment to try and figure what it would mean financially....in the heat of the moment when it's a life or death decision there is no time to think "what if", any mother wouldn't question trying to save her child and this is how I felt about my dog.

One day a co-worker said he was going to put down their family dog because he broke his leg. Good grief. This isn't the old days where they didn't have the vet technology and know how to fix it and didn't have any choice but to put them out of their misery, a broken leg is fixable for goodness sake. My motto is, "If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet."

There is no such thing as a low-cost or low-maintenance pet. Even fish, you still have to clean out the aquarium and such regularly. A pet is a serious investment in both money, and time. It's good that you're thinking it over and getting advice, because the worst thing anyone could do is get a pet on impulse. A frazzling experience for you, and for the animal, and neither of you deserve that.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Why are you wanting a dog? It's a good 10 to 15-year commitment to take care of a dog, so if you're not sure, don't do it. If you vacation or travel, do you plan to take your dog or board him? And if you're not willing to clean the snow for your dog, then maybe you'll be lucky and he'll think it's just the coolest stuff to play in, but if not, then what? Dogs are pack animals and will live for you to come home and walk him and spend time with him. If my boyfriend is going to the gym after work, then I adjust my schedule to go home directly after work to feed and walk our dog. Are you willing to make adjustments like that? Moneywise, food costs vary and low cost vet clinics are usually offered at pet shops every month. But if your pet is sick and needs emergency care, it might cost upwards of several hundred dollars. Hopefully that won't be necessary.

Getting a dog from the shelter is great. And taking into consideration all the costs and commitments is good, but getting a dog should be an informed, happy, tail wagging event (for you, not just the dog) and not a business decision.

Feraud

Bartender
One day a co-worker said he was going to put down their family dog because he broke his leg. Good grief. This isn't the old days where they didn't have the vet technology and know how to fix it and didn't have any choice but to put them out of their misery, a broken leg is fixable for goodness sake. My motto is, "If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet."
Cripes, can people be this ignorant? I hope you strongly recommended they take the dog to the vet to have the leg set.

Taking in a dog from a shelter is great but potential owners should be aware of the additional burden involved in a rescue pet. These animals may have suffered years of neglect or physical abuse and have personality traits that require a strong human hand to manage.
Unfortunately this is rampant with the pit bull breed. It seems the majority of people I encounter who own these dogs do so for incredibly wrong reasons. Too many of these wonderful dogs end up in shelters. A good heart is not enough to rehabilitate, it takes a strong personality.

Aside from financial costs the emotional investment required by an owner is an equally important consideration. The pleasure of a good dog is priceless.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
Cripes, can people be this ignorant? I hope you strongly recommended they take the dog to the vet to have the leg set.

Taking in a dog from a shelter is great but potential owners should be aware of the additional burden involved in a rescue pet. These animals may have suffered years of neglect or physical abuse and have personality traits that require a strong human hand to manage.
Unfortunately this is rampant with the pit bull breed. It seems the majority of people I encounter who own these dogs do so for incredibly wrong reasons. Too many of these wonderful dogs end up in shelters. A good heart is not enough to rehabilitate, it takes a strong personality.

Aside from financial costs the emotional investment required by an owner is an equally important consideration. The pleasure of a good dog is priceless.

Yes, people can be that ignorant. I let him know my feelings but knew it wasn't going to change his mind. To him it was "just a dog." People like that make me see red.

There is a vet clinic in town I went to out of necessity once, and on the new patient questionairre they asked if I thought of my animal as "just a pet" or as a "member of the family." They would treat the animal according to how you answered. Needless to say, I never went back.

Most shelters (I think) won't allow an animal to be put up for adoption unless they are certain they're safe, i.e. don't show food aggression, etc, but it is always something that needs to be considered, I agree. We adopted a new dog from our Humane Society recently and while there noted several dogs that had on their information labels that they needed an owner who was able to take a "firm hand in training" meaning if you weren't able to devote the time and patience in properly training them, it wasn't the dog for you.

Good point about it being an emotional investment too....I know many people who were so broken hearted over losing their pet, that they vowed to never own one again because they couldn't take the pain. Any pet owner needs to go into a relationship knowing that, aside from a freak accident or illness or being elderly, they will outlive their pet. You have to ask yourself if the years of fun and pleasure you have with your pet outweigh the pain of loss when the inevitable happens. For some, it's not worth it.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Any pet owner needs to go into a relationship knowing that, aside from a freak accident or illness or being elderly, they will outlive their pet. You have to ask yourself if the years of fun and pleasure you have with your pet outweigh the pain of loss when the inevitable happens. For some, it's not worth it.

And I'd add to that a good pet owner has prepared for their pets in case of their owner(s)' untimely demise, particularly if they have a pet that will be difficult to rehome (older, needs special care, etc.). It can be as small as setting aside a small amount of money in your will from your estate, or asking your neighbor/ family to take in your pet, or making arrangements with a local care agency.

The other thing to consider is that older animals are very difficult to adopt out, so returning a pet is not really the option people think it is. I worked at a humane society when I was a teen (I was in high school), and the older animals were often unadopted or were adopted out only to be brought back. If you adopt a puppy and bring it back as a grown dog or even as a older puppy, the odds are not good for that animal being adopted again. Many people who bring an animal back do so because they did not properly care for it and therefore it has behavioral issues that make the animal less desirable or cause the animal to be brought back when it is more of a challenge than people bargained for.

Granted, a humane society euthanasia death is preferable to dying of starvation on the street, so if the options are turn it loose or take it back, please take the dog or cat back. Their death will be much more painful on the street.

Dan Rodemsky

One of the Regulars
This is all great advice. Considering the nature of the Lounge I have to add, pet hair. Our Jack Russell leaves a trail of white in his wake wherever he goes. The Yorkie/Westie mix never sheds and the Chihuahua is in between. The first two came from "puppy mills" and I am sorry to have supported them, but I do love those dogs. The Chihuahua is a rescue. She had been mistreated and it showed. It took her a long time to adapt to a loving family but she is the sweetest thing in the world now.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
An animal is not a fashion accessory, nor is it a decor accent. It's a living being. And anyone who can't understand that needs to stay as far away from animals as possible.

And dare I say, as far away from other people as possible, too...

I am owned by two lovely greyhounds and one beautiful lurcher. Yes, they fit wonderfully into my art deco decor. But I'd get rid of all of the deco stuff and indeed everything I have before the dogs would go. They come first in my house, and what they give me in return is without price.

Sam Diamond

Familiar Face
Just thought I'd add my two cents. We have a boxer and love him like one of the family. A dog is a pack animal and you are its pack. I believe that anyone who get s a dog and keeps it outside should not have a dog. Our dog lives inside with us and sleeps with us. We would never keep him out at night. We walk him at least two times a day (2 to 5 miles). He is 4 years old and we have paid more than 5000 dollars in vet bills for him. I wouldn't hesitate to spend my last dollar on him. Sorry but I feel very strongly about this, a dog should be part of your family and is a big commitment. (I love that dog more than I like most people). Sorry about the soap box, but I just love dogs.

davidraphael

Practically Family
I have to admit, I dislike dogs intensely.

Another tip (and admonition) I'd like to give dog owners is this:

When you're out and about and your dog runs happily or playfully up to a stranger, and maybe even jumps up at them, when that stranger looks uncomfortable, tries to avoid the dog, or even makes their displeasure known verbally, call back your dog immediately.

I'm tired of the following situation:

I'm walking in the forest, a dog approaches me, I hint or even ask the owner to call off their dog and the owner responds in any of the following ways:

"Oh, he likes you!"
"He doesn't mean any harm"
"He's okay, don't worry"
"He's just being friendly"
"His bark is worse then his bite!"

etc etc

Apart from disliking dogs, I also have a very strong fur allergy and it can be triggered by even the briefest interaction, directly or indirectly. At its worst I can no longer breathe and become hospitalised.

Frequently, even when I've told some dog owners that I'm very allergic, they take that to simply mean that I don't like dogs and continue with the "he's a big softy; he couldn't harm a fly!" type palaver.
Like parents with children and babies, many dog owners think their pet is the cutest little thing and can't possibly understand that others may deem it to be filthy, noisy, and annoying as all hell (not to mention a risk). Everyone thinks their dog is somehow special.

I don't know what it's like anywhere else, but here in the German forests/countryside, if you let your dog run wild and a ranger, or other appropriate authority, sees it he will shoot it on the spot.

Dog owners beware! Take control of your dogs! If I think I'm at risk I will take your dog out!

Thus endeth my anti-dog (and owner) rant.

I love cats by the way (so not a complete curmudgeon!), but I can no longer keep them since my allergy began :( I'm thinking of buying a pig. :)

Last edited:

djd

Practically Family
The biggest cost of dog ownership is the commitment of time . My day to day life revolves around thoughts such as 'I must get home to walk the dogs' or 'I must get up early to let them out'. This is a huge 'cost' that any owner should be prepared for

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats