Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dog Performs Life-Saving Manoeuvre on Woman

RAF Man

One of the Regulars
An amazing story on the BBC breakfast TV in UK this morning. Can any F.L's dogs do anything like this?

CALVERT, Md. (AP) Toby, a 2-year-old golden retriever, saw his owner choking on a piece of fruit and began jumping up and down on the woman's chest. The dog's owner believes the dog was trying to perform the Heimlich maneuver and saved her life.

Debbie Parkhurst, 45, of Calvert told the Cecil Whig she was eating an apple at her home Friday when a piece lodged in her throat. She attempted to perform the Heimlich maneuver on herself but it didn't work. After she began beating on her chest, she said Toby noticed and got involved.

"The next think I know, Toby's up on his hind feet and he's got his front paws on my shoulders," she recalled. "He pushed me to the ground, and once I was on my back, he began jumping up and down on my chest."

That's when the apple dislodged and Toby started licking her face to keep her from passing out, she said.

"I literally have pawprint-shaped bruises on my chest. I'm still a little hoarse, but otherwise, I'm OK," Parkhurst said.

"The doctor said I probably wouldnt be here without Toby," said Parkhurst, a jewelry artist. "I keep looking at him and saying 'Youre amazing.'"

Wow, I thought my dog was good because of his oscar winning perfomances of rolling over on his back and playing dead, just when you were about to go out and leave him.:eusa_clap

Kimberly

Practically Family
Dogs are amazing animals. There is a place in Sterling, Massachusetts called NEEDS. This non-profit organization trains dogs to work with seeing, hearing impaired as well as those confined to a wheelchair.

I used to do volunteer work for them and help the dogs train prior to their graduation. It was amazing the things they were taught such as waking up the owner if the smoke detector was going off, warning the owner if they were going to have a seizure, etc.

What an amazing story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum