Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dog Tags as an accessory...(advice please)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'm currently getting some dog tags (WWII style, AAF) created. But the guy who is making them, needs advice on layout, service numbers, corps..etc to print them.

I'm looking at getting my name, rank, USAAF (As branch), next of kin addy..etc put on. Does anyone have pictorial examples of AAF officer's dog tags for me to use as a reference to send to this guy please?

I'd really appreciate it, thanks chaps!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Good start on the dog tags!

Ideally, I'm trying to get some images of dog tags belonging to famous flyers, and just copying them with my name on. Getting them printed by a 1938 stamping machine. Just another little accessory to the overall kit!

matei

One Too Many
Biltmore Bob said:
I only know about modern tags...

Name
Branch
Service Number
Gas mask size
Religious Perference
Blood Type

Gas mask size? Geez... mine didn't have that.

Wouldn't surprise me if they forgot to put it on. They screwed up my name, my religion and even blood type numerous times.

JD Boswell

New in Town
The link:

http://home.att.net/~steinert/us_army_ww2_dog_tags.htm

Has the info dead on.

Paddy, use the 2nd type Nov. 1941-July 1943 Dog Tag:

Just add in your own name, service # (add an O for being an officer), address, etc. as shown on the link. It came in handy to a friend of mine who got too steamed at bar near his house and they brought him home using the info on his dog tag. :beer: :beer: :beer:

Here is an exemple of an enlisted man's tag just found in the Phillipines and returned to his family
tag1300.jpg

Also make sure you get the vintage dog tag chain and the tag with the notch in it.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Note that an Army flight officer's serial # is preceeded by a T and not an O.

No idea why...I have my own set that I had made up not long ago, it's got all of my info including my SSI#, preceeded by a T...guess I'll no longer need that pair and be wearing my issued set more often. Won't have a T or an O anywhere, unfortunately!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
WWII Dog Tags for Xmas...

Just got these WWII dog tags off Kobie (see WW2 Reference Library for link) printed off his original 1938 machine. Going to try and get a repro original styled chain for them (see also WW2 Ref Library).
Off to Ireland now, so Happy New Year to one and all and see you middish January!
DOGTAGS005.jpg

Steve27752

One of the Regulars
Nice ones Paddy. I have several sets as i reenact 2nd Rangers (Normandy 44 a U.K. Reenactment Group) and i am starting Vietnam Reenacting.
HAPPY NEW YEAR to YOU.
Steve
P.S. Have one on me! :beer:

Prof. Ed

New in Town
The Wingnut said:
Note that an Army flight officer's serial # is preceeded by a T and not an O.

No idea why...I have my own set that I had made up not long ago, it's got all of my info including my SSI#, preceeded by a T...guess I'll no longer need that pair and be wearing my issued set more often. Won't have a T or an O anywhere, unfortunately!

My dog tags from 69-70 have the wrong blood type on them.

locobuster

New in Town
After seeing the image above. I decided to look into Gene West's history, just for curiousity's sake (he is from my current home state.) I found that he was born in 1922 and resided in Harrison County, West Virginia. After just one year of high school he enlisted for service in the Phillipines with the US Army Coast Artillery Corps on February 2, 1941 in Columbus, Ohio. According to a report made in April of 1945 he died while being held as a prisoner of war at Nagoya Main Camp by Japanese forces. For some reason he is not listed on the West Virginia Veteran's Memorial in Charleston...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner