Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Don't handle a hat by its crown" vs. tipping a hat

Qadain

New in Town
When tipping one's hat, one lifts it by its crown. But handling hats by their crowns is bad.

What are we to do? What do you do?

I notice some cases of bending the brim down as a sign of acknowledgment, but that's not as polite as tipping the hat, is it? What does bending the brim down mean? I've never seen it mentioned in any hat etiquette guides.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
According to Emily Post, hat tipping is just to touch or possibly a very slight lifting of the brim, no more. No need to touch the crown or lift the hat off the head. If you grab the crown and lift the hat, you aren't doing it right. Just touch the brim.

If you stop to talk to a woman, however, you remove it until you resume walking.

12345Michael543

New in Town
This entire matter of listing the hat, removing the hat, etc., is really covered perfectly well in my 1937 edition of Emily Post's "Etiquette."

I assume we all own this monumental work.

Anyway, the rule-of-thumb seems to be that the hat is lifted slightly - not removed. It's lifted by the brim if it's a stiff hat, or by the crown if it's a soft one.

luvthatlulu

Suspended
12345Michael543 said:
This entire matter of listing the hat, removing the hat, etc., is really covered perfectly well in my 1937 edition of Emily Post's "Etiquette."

Anyway, the rule-of-thumb seems to be that the hat is lifted slightly - not removed. It's lifted by the brim if it's a stiff hat, or by the crown if it's a soft one.

My copy must have gotten lost in the mail. Anyway, we all know "the rules are made to be broken"...right, guys? ;)

--Not the Lulu

K

kpreed

Rules (Hat) are for me, are guidelines that I try to follow. I leave any rule breaking to the baseball cap crowd and I have never been disappointed by them.
P.S. I have 1936 (close) Etiquette also.

luvthatlulu

Suspended
kpreed said:
Rules (Hat) are for me, are guidelines that I try to follow. I leave any rule breaking to the baseball cap crowd and I have never been disappointed by them.

That's right...like the Pirate's Code...they are really more like guidelines than actual rules. :) ;) lol

--Not the Lulu

Qadain

New in Town
deelovely said:
Can't answer your questions but welcome to the Lounge from one Floridian to another! :D

Thanks! Although this area's kind of more like South New York than Florida...except the weather.

12345Michael543 said:

Doh. :eusa_doh: I have the 2004 version (17th Edition). That must be what's wrong! :mad: Off to find the 1937 version!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner