Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

double breasted no Peak

Nick Charles

Practically Family
I know I seen this a couple of movies but cant find a picture of it anyone got a double with notch lapels?
I just got a vintage suit and it is too big, and I found that if I wrap it a bit double breasted style it fits great, thought I'd move the buttons and give it a go. Or just take it to the tailor and have the waist taken in.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
They exist, but they're not common and it's not a good style. Sort of a mutt of a garment--the double-breasted style's greater formality doesn't pair well with the more informal nature of the notch lapel. SB and DB jackets are cut differently in other ways, too, so converting it isn't a good idea. Plus, if it's too big on you by that much, the rest of the jacket will probably be out of proportion even if you get it to fit around the waist.

Re-sell the suit to someone on whom it'll fit, and save the money for a suit that fits you.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Nick Charles said:
Fair enough guys, I'll take in the waist.

While not cheap, I have seen a 48 long cut down to fit a guy who was probably a size 40 extra short. He was about 4'10" and he love the fabric so much he had the whole suit taken apart and put back together. Must have cost a fortune.

But bigger is always more desirable and expensive, so as mentioned, sell it and buy in your size and be thankful you are not that big as it might be theonly suit you can ever find that fits.

Mateo

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
here's what my '80's DB notch lapel looks like.

I'm glad you're going to do the right thing and have it taken in.

IMG_1589.jpg

jml90

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
here's what my '80's DB notch lapel looks like.

I'm glad you're going to do the right thing and have it taken in.

IMG_1589.jpg
Please, tell me those are not white socks.

Feraud

Bartender
Dinerman said:
they are in fact white gym socks. All my black socks were in the wash. That was the only picture they showed in:rolleyes::p
Ah don't worry about it! Be a rebel.
In fact, I recall seeing a picture of Cary Grant in a suit with white socks.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
There's a world of difference between thick white gym socks and finely knit dress hose, whatever the color. I think, though I could be wrong, that the latter is what Cary's wearing here. And since it's not a color photo, they could as well be a pale color as white.

Feraud

Bartender
Orgetorix said:
There's a world of difference between thick white gym socks and finely knit dress hose, whatever the color. I think, though I could be wrong, that the latter is what Cary's wearing here. And since it's not a color photo, they could as well be a pale color as white.
Agreed on the idea but we will never know what Grant is wearing.
My posting of the photo is watching Dinerman's back. ;) I didn't want the guy bum rushed for committing a perceived faux pas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld