Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Downton Abbey - I'm hooked

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
That's a good question. I had not even thought about that.

Yes - because I watched the second season and then have been watching the ones on PBS - they've edited out some scenes. One in particular was in the first episode - when the ladies with the white feathers interrupted the concert, they also gave a white feather to Branson, who just laughed. But that wasn't in the PBS version.

vintage68

Practically Family
Well, I bought the first season from Amazon, and I notice that on the lower right corner of the dvd case it reads "Original UK Edition" so hopefully that means "unedited."

I hate to say it, but the British perception of Americans being impatient and unable to keep up with complex plots is probably correct, but people who watch PBS are probably above the norm, at least in terms of education, so I'm surprised that PBS would have edited it.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I know the first season was edited in the sense that it was shown in different episode formats in both countries (4 episodes here vs. 7 in the UK) and thus required different beginnings and endings. (I also watched on the DVDs, which follow the British format.)

And let's keep in mind that it airs on a commercial station in the UK vs. commercial-free PBS in the US, so even as an "hour show", we're talking different actual lengths, and possibly different act-structuring for the commercial breaks.

But I haven't gotten the sense that the US version is "edited" to make it shorter or narratively simpler. Does anybody have any hard evidence of this?

vintage68

Practically Family
A.C. Lyles included a link to an article where a PBS executive was referenced:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...S-viewers.html

Rebecca Eaton, an executive producer for the PBS network - which will be airing it from next week - admits that American audiences demand a 'different speed' to their shows.
As a result, Downton, which ran for eight hours on ITV, has been slashed to six for the States, while the story*line about the inheritance of the Abbey has been downplayed.

And:

Nonetheless, Ms Eaton admitted cuts had been made to fit Downton Abbey into four 90-minute episodes.
'American audiences are used to a different speed when it comes to television drama and you need to get into a story very quickly,' she said

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I know the first season was edited in the sense that it was shown in different episode formats in both countries (4 episodes here vs. 7 in the UK) and thus required different beginnings and endings. (I also watched on the DVDs, which follow the British format.)

And let's keep in mind that it airs on a commercial station in the UK vs. commercial-free PBS in the US, so even as an "hour show", we're talking different actual lengths, and possibly different act-structuring for the commercial breaks.

But I haven't gotten the sense that the US version is "edited" to make it shorter or narratively simpler. Does anybody have any hard evidence of this?

Yes, as I stated above about the white feather scene with Branson (and this is Season 2).

Last edited:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I think what they are doing is having 8 episodes instead of 4.

Yep. Probably to stretch it out more so we don't have to wait as long for Season 3! (Though that one doesn't come until September in the UK, so I don't know how long we'll have to wait until it comes to the US!)

Elmonteman

One of the Regulars
There's always the option of buying a dvd from Amazon UK and buying a region free dvd player to play it on. The players are only around $100. It's an option I'm considering since there are so many great shows being produced by the BBC these days.

"Region Free" means it will play on any machine. I just received both seasons and they play perfectly on my "American" Sony Blu-ray. I ordered the "Original U.K. Unedited Edition" and they are great. They are presented as originally shown in the UK with the added bonus of a few snippets here and there which were edited out of the PBS version.

vintage68

Practically Family
"Region Free" means it will play on any machine. I just received both seasons and they play perfectly on my "American" Sony Blu-ray. I ordered the "Original U.K. Unedited Edition" and they are great. They are presented as originally shown in the UK with the added bonus of a few snippets here and there which were edited out of the PBS version.

You have that exactly reversed: Region free dvd players will play any dvd from the U.S. or Europe, but as far as I'm aware most dvd are encoded for a specific region like the U.S or the UK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy