Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dr Martens

Brooksie

One Too Many
A big resounding YES here. I love my Docs, I have a pair of oxblood boots I got for truck driving school back in 2005. I wear them all of the time.

Brooksie

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
10 holes here also....with steel toes. A girl's needs some weapons at hand.

comfy -and- with the added side benefit of keeping my very weak ankles from being able to just -turn themselves- :)

I thought I got them in 1998...although not quite sure on that...still fine other then some dents in the toe leather.

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
I got a pair in the old punxxxxxx days. They were from a thrift store and well worn already, lasted me 3 years and then I gave them to a friend, and they've yet to crap out on him.

Good pair of shoes.

kaiser

A-List Customer
I have a pair of Doc Martens Chukka Boots that I bought in 1995. Very comfortable and have held up very well over the years. A good investment in footwear I would say.

MEDIUMMYND

One of the Regulars
Brooksie said:
A big resounding YES here. I love my Docs, I have a pair of oxblood boots I got for truck driving school back in 2005. I wear them all of the time.

Brooksie
Agree about the TV Dr Martins fans should check out their Metro Archie Chelsea boot look good to me

ortega76

Practically Family
In 1995 I had a pair of 10-eyelet black boots that I loved. I was forced to part with them by my first wife. I miss those boots more than I miss her. They were solid, comfortable and I even wore them in the summer time. I was a bit of a punk back then. A pity that I can't really find them anymore in stores. Doc Martens seem to have dropped a lot of their classics in favor of the Steve Madden-type stuff.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
The pair I have are about to go ... these were my third 10 hole ... I put military or police zippers on my second pair back in the late 80's, they were the hippest boots I owned :p

Wil Tam

Practically Family
try harder!

ortega76 said:
In 1995 I had a pair of 10-eyelet black boots that I loved. I was forced to part with them by my first wife. I miss those boots more than I miss her. They were solid, comfortable and I even wore them in the summer time. I was a bit of a punk back then. A pity that I can't really find them anymore in stores. Doc Martens seem to have dropped a lot of their classics in favor of the Steve Madden-type stuff.

seek and you shall find ... I plan on getting a pair to replace my current beat up ones, it's a pity that one can not get Docs repaired ... I tried once and the shoe repair guy used some generic vibram sole, because the 'Air Cushion Soles' are patented by Dr. Martens & so is the trademark yellow stitching...

so when I got them back they just looked like a regular pair of combat boots... and definitely not as comfy ... you live and you learn...

Zappos

univibe88

One Too Many
I am breaking in a new pair of red 8-eyes right now.....THE original style and color. I wear them whenever I'm not at work. (I have a suit and tie job.) It's unfortunate that most DM production was sent to China. They do still make some in the UK. I got my UK made boots from Zappos.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
I like my Doc Martens except for the sizing, no 1/2 sizes.
For me the 10 tight and the 11 is too loose and I don't believe I should have to wear thick socks to make my shoes fit.

univibe88

One Too Many
cooncatbob said:
I like my Doc Martens except for the sizing, no 1/2 sizes.
For me the 10 tight and the 11 is too loose and I don't believe I should have to wear thick socks to make my shoes fit.

I agree. The new pair that I got is a bit loose. I seem to remember that the last pair I owned back in college was a 10.5. Does anyone remember for sure if they used to make half sizes? Maybe they got rid of them when the scaled back production and moved it to China?

Luddite

One of the Regulars
Dr Martens definitely used to make half-sizes, as I have a pair in 10 1/2. Agreeing with the above, I would imagine the range complexity was reduced when production moved to China.

I wear Docs every day; black eight eyelet boots by choice but I have also used shoes and their 'off-road' boots in the past. My first pair were swapped for a set of skateboard wheels back in the days when they were made of clay (and skateboarding unheard of on this side of the pond). Out-of-hours sees me in a pair of purple eight-eyelets, not as ghastly as it may sound. I also invested in a pair of knee-length boots but they take sooo long to lace.... There's nothing to compare with the comfort of a well broken-in pair, but oh! that breaking in period.

Despite the pain issues, I have inflicted Docs on my children, who have learned to live through the suffering without much complaint! They now own a couple of pairs each, as does my wife. We are (were) lucky to live within a few short miles of the now-defunct factory and managed to obtain them at very cut-price rates before they shipped East. And prototype styles which never made it onto the factory floor.

Can't see me ever not having a pair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy