Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Like Cary Grant NOW

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I really admire Grant's style, although I find that I lean more towards Astaire's style (when it was more conservative...i don't think I can pull off the necktie belt)
astaire2.jpg

He is a little bit more dandyish than Grant, I will admit.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Cry Grant

Thanks for those photos Mark.

My dear old late Mum adored Cary Grant - her favourite actor - so I was brought up with him so much that the photos bring back memories of Mum and better times.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Cary Grant

Thanks for those photos Mark.

My dear old late Mum adored Cary Grant - her favourite actor - so I was brought up with him so much that the photos bring back memories of Mum and better times.

moustache

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
lol lol lol

Good genes and a sun lamp, amigo.

I can do the sun lamp but...the genes??
Hmmmmm.

I admire the Grant way of dress so much.I might have to lean that way a bit someday.So far,i prefer the English country gentleman style.FIts me better.

JD

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
The posting here have been right on the money. Grant always looked great.

I was lucky enough to see him during his "A Conversation with Cary Grant" tour. Being a starving college student at the time, I couldnt afford to buy the closer to the stage tickets so I was seat a bit far off. I did sneak down a side aisle to see him close up and he looked every bit the movie star. Had technology been better back then (late 80's), I would have bootlegged a recording of the show.

My avitar is one of my favorite pics of Grant - so relaxed and comfortable in a wonderful looking suit.

And remember even Cary Grant wanted to be Cary Grant. He said he just imitated being relaxed until it became second nature. Archie Leach was never far from his mind.

Jovan

Suspended
Matt Deckard said:
That is exactly something I'd wear, perhaps minus that particular collar. Prince of Wales/Glen check and peaked lapels go together like cookies and milk.

I've always admired his style for the most part. There have been times he's done things I would never do (like button up all three buttons on a coat) but overall he's worn things that are pretty aesthetically pleasing and go together well.

Jovan

Suspended
The ones in the past are considered "high" in contrast to most ready made jackets today, which have a very large armhole that thus sits low. This generally isn't as aesthetically pleasing. They also don't give you as much freedom of movement and it tends to pull up the rest of the jacket when you raise your arms. There's even more to it like the shape, scye, and so forth but that's best discussed at length in another thread. In fact, I think there's a whole other thread on just that, but I've about given up trying to use the search function here. :mad:

Nonchalant

One of the Regulars
A brief introduction into the world of HIGH ARMHOLES

I'm very much in danger of derailing this thread, but allow me to demonstrate.

c. 1937, high armholes :)

c. 2007, low cut armholes :(

Now back to Cary Grant.

Nonchalant

One of the Regulars
Right back at you, Lady Day... ;)

I even burned the pizza I was making to take those photos for y'all. :eusa_doh: But it was worth it.

Jovan

Suspended
If you look around, probably. I don't particularly remember much from that movie sartorially besides that he buttoned all three buttons on a blazer. :eusa_doh:

Nonchalant, has anyone told you that you have a resemblance to John Turturro?

WH1

Practically Family
Orgetorix said:
Anybody know if it's possible today to get a striped pullover like the one that Grant wore at the beginning of To Catch A Thief?

According to Classic Style Magazine, Winter 2007 Premiere Issue, page 51, the sweater you speak of is heavily mentioned. It is an AvonCelli sweater, they still make them and "they're available at Barney's, specialty men's shops like Scott&Co. in Los Angeles and Davide Cenci in New York City."

Jovan

Suspended
Also, I vote for high armholes whenever possible. (But a man has to move, too)

High armholes provide the best movement. When they're TOO tight, however, they can be uncomfortable. I wore a vintage tailcoat for Hallowe'en that was actually a 36 (and I normally wear a 38-40, if only because of my shoulder width) and my shoulders hurt from having to hold them up to fit into it! I'm sure some other guys around here know what I mean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner