Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dress vs casual fedora

photobyalan

A-List Customer
Hey, there, Gator.

I don't know if there is any such thing as a "dress" fedora. The fedora has traditionally been an every day hat, worn to work and around town. For dressing up there is the homburg and the top hat. Of course, that standard comes from the days when standards of dress were much higher than they are today when many men never wear suits except on special occasions.

If you push me on the issue, I would say that a wide grosgrain ribbon in a contrasting color and a bound edge would make a fedora "dressy", as opposed to a narrow ribbon and a raw edge.

Summer vs. Winter is easier. Light weight felt or straw for summer, probably without a lining. Some summer fedoras have ventilation (classy ones have it concealed somehow). Also, lighter colors are more appropriate for summer fedoras. For winter, I would want heavy felt and a lining.

Topper

Vendor
Agree, no such thing as a Dress Fedora to my knowledge...

Nearest could think about it was - remove the feather from hat band ;)

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
You are right Topper, but in todays outlook there are differences. Mainly it's in color choices and ribbon widths. Generally, earth tones with narrow ribbons and no brim binding are considered more casual than midnight blue with tall ribbon and bound brim. It all a perception thing rather than an absolute. Charcoals, blacks, dark blues are considered "dressy" or "serious" while other colors are less "dressy"

Aaron Hats

Vendor
Art Fawcett said:
but in todays outlook there are differences.

That's very true for modern fedoras. For me, I think of a dress fedora as one with a grosgrain band versus a more casual fedora that may have a leather or felt band. More hat companies are using band treatments other than grosgrain today.

Aaron

6StringShooter

One of the Regulars
Thanks so much! I figued the bound edge would have something to do with it. I ask simply because I read somewhere (can't remember where, but it was probably not a credible source) that the crushable fedoras are more for everyday use while a stiff fedora is more of a dress hat. I found it rather suspicious so I thought i'd post it on here.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Agreed with what all have said (especially Art :D ). However, I have found porkpie hats to be more "dual purpse" than other hats: it can be quite formal and quite casual both, depending on what outfit it's married with.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
All interesting observations. IMHO the difference is wide grosgrain (1" or more) ribbon, preferably with a bow, for a dressier fedora, and leather or other narrow band for a casual fedora. I also agree that the darker colors make for a dressier hat.

Feraud

Bartender
I will add a different spin to the discussion.
What makes a hat dressy or casual is what you wear with the fedora rather than the fedora itself.
My same brown fedora can be worn with a suit (dressy) or with a leather jacket (casual).
Same hat, different outfits. ;)

Adam_H

New in Town
I agree that what one wears with the hat helps determine its dressiness to an extent, but often one sees a formal hat worn with a suit jacket only to be offset by jeans and sneakers below. I've been known to wear dress trousers, dress shoes, a dress shirt, and a Levi's jacket with a hat.

I tend to keep some hats unofficially designated as dressy and others casual.

In the case of a fedora, I have an 'everyday' one, a vintage stingy-brimmed beauty that has lots of miles. Slouchy and informal, it's right at home with a more casual outfit in an informal setting. For those dressier occasions, when I will wear a suit and maybe a fancier topcoat, a fancier fedora comes out: It's still got its shape, it's cleaner, stiffer 3-inch brim extends with more elegance.

And of course, more formal occasions call for the homborgs or bowlers.

Feraud

Bartender
Imho, wearing a "dress down" style of clothing will lessen the effect of a dressy fedora regardless of hat stye, color, or ribbon width.

I use the same theory with regards to "Bling". A Rolex watch or Gucci bag worn with a velvet Baby Phat outfit does not dress up the outfit. It brings down the class of the expensive item. Think about the value of your home when the neighborhood goes to the dogs. Same idea.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If we peruse the vintage photos we can see that all classes of folks wore what they had. Obviously most hats started out new but got worn some with daily use. You'll see lots of guys even without suits and ties wearing all configurations.

That's the beauty of it. I'd want to wear one of my newer ones for dressy occassions but they look fine with anything casual too. I just wouldn't wear one of my more used ones with say, a suit.
th_Tip-Hat.gif

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Until the invasion of athletic shoes, most guys did the same with their leather shoes. The new pair of shoes was used for Sunday and other dressy occasions; the older pair was the everyday pair. The very oldest pair was reserved for yard work and auto repair. It's just common sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot