Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dressing down (extremely casual) but still looking good. it's possible, right?

mascaraasnake

New in Town
I'm going to college at the moment and am in between weights, so I'm putting a lot of thought into my eventual wardrobe overhaul. Dressy casual, business, formal...all of that stuff I can usually figure out pretty easily, and it's not hard to find advice on that.

My problem is with figuring out everyday plain-jane casual dress. I want a style that won't look like I'm overdressing, but that blends in. Jeans and a t-shirt just won't cut it for me anymore. Does anyone have any general advice (or know of any good reading materal) on dressing down?

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
I've got some lightweight cargo pants (without rediculous numbers of pockets or huge bellows things; just an extra pocket on the side of the left leg and no crease). I'll wear them with a button-down shirt, either an off-white linen shirt, a very small lavender check, a light pink, white oxford with vertical blue-grey stripes, very heavy white oxford with a high collar, etc., open-collar, with a blue or black blazer. I wear this with sneakers or loafers, or sometimes boat shoes. I'll usually include a pocket square (cotton; I'm not a fan of silk pocket squares).

Also jeans, the same shirts, and a khaki linen/cotton blazer seem to work well.

But I would have gotten mocked by my friends if I wore that at school.

DerMann

Practically Family
Most of the clothing sold by LandsEnd is VERY good. From their suits to their bathing suits.

Most of their clothing is casual, but it's a smart looking casual that doesn't look sloppy. They have cargo pants which are essentially their chinos with a pocket on the right thigh.

Most of their clothing can be had for a very decent price, and they usually do free hemming and cuffing on pants (down to 1/4"). They also have overstocks where one can find some pretty ridiculous deals.

You're "between weights," you say? Going from larger to smaller, I presume?

A good thrift store could be your friend. I put the qualifier in there because some thrift stores are clearly better than others. At least that's true out here. At some I routinely find very nice attire in fine condition at low prices. At others, not so often.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
DerMann,

You are right about the quality and price. Nearby to me is an L.L. Bean outlet. I like the "Heritage Khaki" color. If you look on the website its very brown like. But in person they are just a darker, deeper khaki that I happen to like quite a bit, they look almost like WW2 British Khaki.

Matt

DerMann

Practically Family
LL Bean is pretty similar to LandsEnd, if a bit more geared toward the outdoorsman. If I recall correctly, they have an online overstock/outlet as well, but nowhere near the size of LandsEnd.

I do wish there was a LandsEnd outlet near me. There's one in Wisconsin, and I did patronise it on my trip to Green Bay.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn