Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Dressing for Disneyland"

VictorAtomic

Familiar Face
Cute posting at miceage.com;

1950s so edit if need be:

ww091407open.jpg

http://www.yesterland.com/dressing.html

(Whenever I go to Diz Im always horrified by the over abundant flip flops, shorts and well just ugly clothing choices) :But thats just my opinion: :rolleyes:

-V

dostacos

Practically Family
I would think heels and dresses might be over kill now, [thinking it would be more comfortable in pants or LONGER type shorts to get in and out of some of the rides]

On the other hand there are certain parts of the female anatomy that I should not be seeing unless I am married to the [cannot use lady] female.

Others that somehow think that they are 35-40 pounds lighter than they are. I mean when you can hide a kumquat in your belly button [figuring an inny] then just maybe you should buy a top a tad longer and not expose your belly. [Women "heavy with child' are exempt as they may have gotten larger than her current outfits can cover with a tight budget, so them I don't mind. it's the skanky ones

oh and if you don't like the feel of bare skin then buy a longer top and don't keep trying to pull it down farther than it can go :rage:

of course I will be Preaching to the faithful on this one.;)

Ed Bass

One of the Regulars
That is a great link VictorAtomic.
Living in SoCal I get to visit Disneyland quite a bit. The last time I was there I was appalled at how just plain "bummy" all the people looked and acted. Loud and foul mouthed patrons dressed like homeless people, no manners, and they think nothing of dropping their litter on the grounds as they walk along. This attitude simply did not exist in the park when I used to go as a child.
The park is still a wonderful place to visit but the friendly patrons also used to make it what it was.
The demographics have certainly changed in the surrounding area.
Best, Toots

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
But at that time period - 50's to mid-60's, people dressed up more for almost everything. I remember many a Saturday afternoon where Dad needing something from the hardware store, so it was out of "work clothes" from gardening & working around the house, and getting cleaned up, into a sportcoat & hat to run to go get some nails or fertilizer or a tool or part for the mower...and virtually everyone else was dressed up to some degree. Mom wouldn't go clothes shopping without hat and gloves. People dressed up to go out to dinner - now you can go to the nicest restaurant in town and find people being "comfy" looking like they threw on whatever they found in the rag bin.

I've already posted about my wardrobe-induced misadventures in SoCal--I'm starting to think I need a nametag that says "NOT a Park Employee... Please Do Not Disturb."

It's like the Slobovian Army has invaded and they think the only ones who dress well there are employed there or something...:rolleyes:

GeniusInTheLamp

One of the Regulars
Diamondback said:
I've already posted about my wardrobe-induced misadventures in SoCal--I'm starting to think I need a nametag that says "NOT a Park Employee... Please Do Not Disturb."

It's like the Slobovian Army has invaded and they think the only ones who dress well there are employed there or something...:rolleyes:

I've also had people walk up to me in bookstores and ask me if I was a manager. I also had someone ask me a similar question at a New Year's Eve party ... where most of the people were dressed just as well as I was. :eek:

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dizzyland is the kind of place where you are bored, hot and uncomfortable much of the year. What benefit is it to stand sweating in line for 1 1/2 hours in the sun in a suit just to say you look cool? The Magic Kingdom is nothing but an incredibly expensive ripoff at best.

And going to the auto parts store while in the middle of a dirty installation of something will get me to wash my hands only so I can drive there. Anyone that completely cleans up in the middle of a manual labor project then dresses up to purchase addition items to go home and get dirty again is a freakin nutjob.

Dagwood

Practically Family
Does Disneyland still require a suit and tie for grad night? Or am I just showing how old I am?

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I went to a graduation where afterwards they went to Grad night. They were in dress wear. My class, which went to Disneyland a while before Graduation, did not, and that was 3 1/2 years ago. It probably depends on the school and district.

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
At my grad night we had to dress up and that was in 1997 (I feel old now ;) ). As for dressing up on any other day at disneyland I feel is perfectly fine to go in shorts and flip flops, I'm sure you wouldn't want your nice suits or dresses to get drenched on the water rides, however I do agree with the ill fitted clothing matter. I still believe that spandex is a priveledge and not a right................and no I don't wear spandex :D :D

But to each his own, I suppose it would be fun to dress up for a day at the Happiest Place on Earth.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Dressing up at Disneyland...well, I don't know how many of you pull marathon days at that park like I usually do, but I just couldn't do it in a skirt and heels. I'm not a slob, either--I try to look nice, by wearing my hair down and wearing subtle makeup. But with all that heat, and the waiting, I'd rather be comfortable in jeans or capris.

I'm just saying you can be practical and still have style--I wouldn't wear a suit either, but my 5.11 Tactical shirts and khakis have a good blend of professional appearance, style and functionality.

Not like tank-tops with Jabba the Hutt's girth being conspicuously displayed anyway... I mean there's gotta be several notches on the sartorial ladder between "T-shirt" and "suit and tie", right?

I'm not trying to be a snob or anything. Just saying it'd be nice if more people would take a little pride in their appearance, although vanity is just as bad...

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
That's fine for Ward Cleaver, Twitch, but I'm not him. I'm not comfortable going casual out in public, as it goes against my sensibilities. Heck, the only time in recent memory I've gone out in public without a tie was last year when I had a really bad illness. It was all I could do to get out of bed, and I could barely walk, but I managed to get dressed in a suit to go to the doctor, with the exception of the tie, which I couldn't knot. Of course, I was too sick for it to really bother me.lol

I do, once or twice a year, substitute a cardigan for a sportcoat, but not too often, as it gives me no place to carry my wallet.

And I actually bought some casual pants, a pair of chinos, last month, for the first time in years. I work from home now, so I felt I needed something a little more casual to wear around the house.

So maybe I'm not completely a nutjob!

Brad

Elle

New in Town
At Disneyland, I am always in a dress and cardigan. Heels sometimes, maybe if I drop by late in the afternoon.

My parents always told us that Disneyland is a luxury and we should dress like it.

marquise

Familiar Face
Last time I was in Disney(World; of the ultimate marathon-all-day lines) I wore a black 50s pencilskirt and off-the-shoulder blouse. And tights. (But flats, not heels.) The man wore suspenders and hat. Felt pretty comfy, too. And disdainful toward the slobs, who proved even slobbier than those in DisneyLand. That, and they weighed on average 300 pounds more.

dostacos

Practically Family
Dagwood said:
Does Disneyland still require a suit and tie for grad night? Or am I just showing how old I am?
Grad Night 1969, black pants, black turtle neck sweater and black sport coat BOY did those NUNS give me the classic double take then the once over lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24