Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing the Man

moustache

Practically Family
Sometimes searching through the archive can be so laborius.
Therefore i will ask this question:

Anyone else familiar with Alan Flusser's book entitled:

Dressing the Man:Mastering the art of permanent fashion.

I bought this last week and am thrilled at it's contents.Similar to the book"Gentleman" discussed before.

ALL gentlemen should own this book!!!

af.jpg

JD in Vancouver,Wa

moustache

Practically Family
true

Tony in Tarzana said:
JD, you can use Google's "advanced search" function, set it to search only the thefedoralounge.com domain. It's pretty handy. :)

but i meant the search function on the Lounge.On advanced search i enter the authors name and to search all sections only to come up with any page on the site that includes either word.So it will list hundreds of pages.
I put Alan Flusser as a name to search and it brought back all pages with "alan" and "flusser".
Just "flusser" still brought out hundreds.
Maybe i'm doing something wrong.

JD

anon`

One Too Many
Have it, love it. Especially the photos and old illustrations... I wish I could get my look a little more like them (especially those wonderful trouser creases and breaks!).

I've also got a copy of Style and the Man, but Mr Flusser doesn't appear to appreciate any menswear stores between Seattle and San Fransisco =\

moustache

Practically Family
Hi Anon'

anon` said:
Have it, love it. Especially the photos and old illustrations... I wish I could get my look a little more like them (especially those wonderful trouser creases and breaks!).

I've also got a copy of Style and the Man, but Mr Flusser doesn't appear to appreciate any menswear stores between Seattle and San Fransisco =\

Nice to see yet another Portlander among the ranks!!! Welcome!!
Yes,seems our fair city never garners any recognition.With John Helmer,Marios and many other stores,we could at least rate a mention.

JD in vancouver,Wa

moustache

Practically Family
Ahhhh

Tony in Tarzana said:
And I meant use Google instead of the Lounge search function. You can use Google to search a specific domain. Try it, it works great. :)

I see.Well i will most certainly give it a try Tony.Thanks for the suggestion.
Anything to make searching easier

JD

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
moustache said:
Nice to see yet another Portlander among the ranks!!! Welcome!!
Yes,seems our fair city never garners any recognition.With John Helmer,Marios and many other stores,we could at least rate a mention.
I have family in P-town, so I feel qualified to spout off...
Apparently you're not a true Portlander unless you dress in cast-off plaid flannel and stocking caps. This goes along nicely with the common wisdom that the regional economy consists of equal parts l33t code, forest products, garage bands and controlled substances. lol

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I've never read his books but I would often stop by his shop at Saks and chat him up. He's an affable fellow.

moustache

Practically Family
Indeed!

Fletch said:
Apparently you're not a true Portlander unless you dress in cast-off plaid flannel and stocking caps. This goes along nicely with the common wisdom that the regional economy consists of equal parts l33t code, forest products, garage bands and controlled substances. lol

Certainly close to home with those comments.The population here are most certainly on the fringe.SOmeone the other day called Portland the "other" San Francisco due to it's ideas.
I do like it here though.Beautiful area,decent economy and still one of the "undiscovered" areas in some respects.Unlike Seattle and it's much larger population and urban sprawl,Portland has still retained a bit of it's small town charm.

JD

anon`

One Too Many
Fletch said:
That made me laugh. I owe you a pint :)

Thanks for the greet, JD. Great avatar, too... fantastic look!

max the cat

Familiar Face
flusser

enjoyed Flusser's much earlier "Making the Man" and bought it in the early 80s paperback-half of those stores are gone!-curious to read the new one

Moustache- does Helmer sell suits?? Happened on their website last year-neat you live near this national sartorial treasure..

max

moustache

Practically Family
Oh yes!

max the cat said:
enjoyed Flusser's much earlier "Making the Man" and bought it in the early 80s paperback-half of those stores are gone!-curious to read the new one

Moustache- does Helmer sell suits?? Happened on their website last year-neat you live near this national sartorial treasure..

max

They certainly do!! High end expensive suits though.Oh how i wish the funds were there for such a sartorially beautiful purchase!
As well,they sell Alden shoes,Borsalino,Dobbs and Stetson fedoras,etc.Canes,umbrellas and cologne.In short:everything a man could want!!! I have my eye on a few pocket squares i might have to acquire later this week!!!
I feel that John Helmers is rather unknown to many due to the predominance of Nordstroms,Marios and Macy so close by.
But i try to spread the word.
And i don't have a vested interest other than wanting to see more men dress nice.

JD

anon`

One Too Many
moustache said:
They certainly do!! High end expensive suits though.Oh how i wish the funds were there for such a sartorially beautiful purchase!
As well,they sell Alden shoes,Borsalino,Dobbs and Stetson fedoras,etc.Canes,umbrellas and cologne.In short:everything a man could want!!! I have my eye on a few pocket squares i might have to acquire later this week!!!
I feel that John Helmers is rather unknown to many due to the predominance of Nordstroms,Marios and Macy so close by.
But i try to spread the word.
And i don't have a vested interest other than wanting to see more men dress nice.

JD
I'll carry on about them a bit, too! In all seriousness, Helmer's is a great little place. It's actually a pretty small shop, with a cosy English feel to it (or at least what I imagine a similar shop in England would feel like). With lots of tweed right now.

For all the great that is their inventory, there's also the small matter of the folk who work there: I don't spend much money there at all, perhaps only three or four "large" purchases a year, but John (the third) knows me by first name and can even spell my last. That says a lot in and of itself, if I may say so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo