Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing vintage in the workplace

cupcake

Familiar Face
I FINALLY have a proper, stable, full time office job after working in casual (read: easy to hire, easier to fire) hospitality jobs as a barista/waitress and being unemployed for the better part of this year.
I'm relieved to find out we have the option to buy work shirts (either polos or business type collared shirts) to wear to work as I don't want to ruin my good tops by wearing them at work, and I hate sorting through all my clothes in the morning to find something "appropriate". I'm working in the call centre of a big internet company so I don't work with customers face to face so the tone is more business casual, although they prefer the emphasis on business.
I intend to wear the company shirts with pencil skirts and stockings with cardigans and vintage style hair/makeup/accessories.

The no velvet policy is strange, maybe they had an "incident" involving it? I say this because our workplace has a policy in which employees "must wear underwear". This was written after a male employee took a nap on the break room couches whilst wearing shorts and...no underwear. An unfortunate female colleague walked in to the full glory of what he had to offer hahaha!

To the girl also working in hospitality (sorry I forgot who it was!) when I was working in cafes our uniform was much the same. Black shoes, black pants and black shirt. Perhaps if you wore vintage esque shoes like oxfords or saddle shoes with high waisted vintage style pants and then did your hair in rolls with a touch of lipstick? That's what I did. It's vintage-esque without the real vintage. Customers always tend to remember the girl who put that little something extra into her outfit aswell. (Read: more tips!)

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Even if I am wearing jeans and a tshirt I am still the dressiest person in the office - it's the brushed hair and lipstick that gives the effect! I am pleased to say though, that in the 3 years I have been working here, standards have improved and I like to think that it is because of me. We used to have a manager who would go to board meetings in tracksuit pants, but now everyone dresses up a bit for formal meetings.

girliegirlvint

New in Town
Casual work place here - but I am always wearing some big chunky piece of vintage jewelery or mixing vintage with new - favorite is a jacket from a suit with a tank and jeans.

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
Our dress code here is very casual--we're allowed jeans every day. I have way too many cute skirts and dresses etc from previous jobs so I wear those every day.

I'm not vintage every day but I have some aspect of it in every one of my outfits--shoes, accessories, whatever. Since I work for the CEO I feel I should look nice since I will regularly meet with her clients before a meeting.

I can also wear my seamed stockings here! :)

Scarlet Belle

Familiar Face
I now work in an environment where I HAVE to wear trousers and flat shoes. So for me it is always wide leg, waisted trousers and a sturdy shoe. I have to get creative with pretty blouses, jumpers and cardigans.

I do miss my old office days where I could trot out skirt suits, stockings and heels, but I think there is no problem getting vintage or vintage inspired into your work wear, even if you have to wear a uniform, it is just all about the shape and colour.

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
I've just been told that the school I'll be working at from September expects formal dress (including jackets). I've been working in a really relaxed school this year so my smart wardrobe is a bit sparse. Seeing as I'll pretty much be building it from scratch, I want to be really selective, and get vintage or vintage-inspired stuff. Has anyone seen anything suitable on your sartorial travels?

Scarlet Belle

Familiar Face
Puzzicato said:
Even if I am wearing jeans and a tshirt I am still the dressiest person in the office - it's the brushed hair and lipstick that gives the effect!.

So true!!! With hair set and a good swipe of lippie you always look glam always gives a vintage feel to "whatever" you may be wearing. :)

December

One of the Regulars
Kate O Potato said:
I've just been told that the school I'll be working at from September expects formal dress (including jackets). I've been working in a really relaxed school this year so my smart wardrobe is a bit sparse. Seeing as I'll pretty much be building it from scratch, I want to be really selective, and get vintage or vintage-inspired stuff. Has anyone seen anything suitable on your sartorial travels?

I'm struggling thinking what I'm going to wear when I start next year- regardless of whether the school is smart or casual!! Unfortunately, as I'm busty, almost everything I wear shows off clevage. Sigh.

What about something like this: (Hope this works)
http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/app

The whole outfit is £72. Not bad, I'd say!

Lillemor

One Too Many
I don't work in an office and I don't pay much attention to what other women dress like but at least the few times I've looked through fashion magazines, the professional clothes looks 30s-40s inspired so I can't understand why the OP colleagues would have such an issue with the way you dress? Perhaps no women really wear those fashions in the work place?! I'm guessing the last part is true. From what little I've noticed of how other women dress in office settings here in Denmark, it's my opinion that my casual clothes is very formal compared to their office wear. I dread to think of what these women wear at home.:eek: Okay, that wasn't nice of me.:eek:

Apparently some offices and companies in the U.S. have rules against suits now and rules against red lipstick! It's no longer than 15 years ago that women were wearing matte red lipsticks every where. Well, at least many women in California were. I don't know if it was different in the Scandinavian countries. When I came home to visit between 1993-1996 I always felt overdressed and no one wore as much make-up as me but I wasn't wearing as much make-up as most American girls I knew.lol I don't know how formal Finland is.

I've been caught using the word envy wrongly when I really wanted to let someone know that I thought something was great for her, wished I could have it too but I was very happy for her. Now I hope I'm using the word 'envy' correctly when I say that I simply think your colleagues are envious of your indepence and ideally you shouldn't care but I know bullying takes place in workplaces too among adults so try to see if you can get away with some retro elements. If you continue to be friendly and professional (fine balance I know) then eventually they should warm to you.

I worked in a nursing home where my hair was always in retro 40s/younger 50s hairstyles and I wore full make-up including deep shades of make-up. I don't know what my colleagues thought of it and it never occured to me that they might think it OTT. No one said anything. I'm generally so nerdy and "different" from other people that no one seems to think anything of what I wear.:)

You've just made me realize that I've subconsciously dressed down and do more to blend in on days where I have meetings.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I work in a university, and definitely dress down my vintage look. Even so, I’ve had lots of compliments and colleagues asking my supervisor ‘who is the classy 50s pin up looking woman in your office?’ That surprised me very much, as I usually just wear a nice flared skirt/blouse, or a dress & pearls.

Some clothes I wear look vintagey, but I rarely wear my actual vintage pieces to work. I never wear pants…can never find ones that suit my figure! ;) I would SO wear a pencil skirt to work, if I had the right bod.

Best,
Black Dahlia

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Kate,

I understand..as I work in the same sector. However, you can’t go wrong with a 40s inspired suit. So many out now in the shops, all patterns and colours. Sweet blouses with interesting details are key too. Heels of course..unless you’re on your feel all day. When it’s cooler, cardigan sets are always classic.

;)

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
December said:
I'm struggling thinking what I'm going to wear when I start next year- regardless of whether the school is smart or casual!! Unfortunately, as I'm busty, almost everything I wear shows off clevage. Sigh.

December - I'm a work at home gal now, so my wear typically consists of velvet lounge suits or shorts sets, but when I worked on site I encountered the same issue, whether I wore a blazer or a shirt. I ended up showing cleavage every time, but I did talk with other gals in my department who had the same issue, and I ended up getting a few camisoles and fitted tank tops (with lace trim) that covered me up just enough to be comfortable.

I even did that for a dress I wore to the Queen Mary event. If I hadn't it would have been a total boob dress. :p

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
Interesting thread all! I loved catching up on it...

I work in an office with a lot of people barely skating by on the dress code line. We can wear jeans and sneakers, but both are supposed to look tidy. Most of my coworkers are guys (the odds are good, but the goods are odd, as the female employees like to say), and they live in polos and khakis or jeans. The women are about the same.

I wear mostly vintage inspired to work, because I'd hate to ruin some of my good vintage sitting around the workstations! Just wearing real shoes (anything other than sneakers) makes me dressed up. There are a few girls who do dress for work, one who attempts pin-up, but it's all short, tight and not-good. Things like that make it discouraging to dress up, because you don't want to get lumped in with those women.

As for getting noticed, which I think was more the problem with vintage, if I understood your post, Shorty, think of it like this - how much do you care what your coworkers think of your appearance? I realized fairly quickly I didn't care what mine did, because they are not knowledgeable on the subject, or in any position to affect my choices.

Also - KamiKat I've never seen any of those vintage sites you linked to. I'd thank you but I really don't need any more temptation in my life!!! (thank you!)

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Hi

I work for the UK government in an office and due to our distrimination policy at work we are allowed to wear more or less anything we like- from tracksuits to business suits. The only things I've heard someone being sent home for wearing was a bikini top (no, really!) even the guy in the cyle shorts in the summer was okay (yikes!).I wear most of my vintage inspired stuff at work rather then casual (partly because I have REAL TROUBLE finding vintage style casual wear that I like- I don't really like pastels or ditsy florals)

I tend to dress more 'Femme Fatale' (in my opinion) black pencil skirts and peplum blouses or 20's Vamp inspired in the summer (floatier peices)- my work collegues have only ever been positive about how I dress. I used to come to work Gothed up' in bondage skirts, DMs or platform boots, bustiers and band T-shirts - so in comparisson my Boss thinks I look very smart. He does think that re-touching my make-up at my desk is OTT but I have to touch up my liptstick after a cup of tea otherwise I'd be left with a red ring around my lips!

The nice thing about my work is that everyone appreciates a good old afternoon tea with tea made in a proper teapot from real leaves. We take it in turn to bake the cakes and make the sandwiches- no wonder I've been putting on weight.

Finally- the big plus for me about dressing up for work is that it is rubbing off on the other women- even more so that now I'm studying colour analysis and always compliment my collegeues when they look nice or offer advice when they ask me (which they often do). I like it when everyone is looking nice and they are feeling happy- it' a pity our little team is being broken up now- I'll miss them. Not sure how my new team will take me.......

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Kate

I get some fab vintage inspired peices from outlet stores- I shop mainly at the 'old ladies' shops like Coast, Precis Petite, Windsmoor, Phase Eight etc. They are more classically styled and fit a 'vintage figure' (as defined by 'What Katie Did' store) much better. The quality is always excellent but the sizing can be a bit on the large size. I just got a really nice black blouse form coast for £25.00- it's got puffed and cuffed short sleeves, hook and eye front and a fanctastic peplum- perfect with a pencil skirt but also looked good with my claf length flared black skirt too (which was a nice suprise)

I also get some basic bits and bobs from Oasis, warehouse and French Connection (in the sale!)- just got some some scoop neck T's with cuffed 3/4 sleeves from FC for £3.00 each!.

I avoid Topshop, Next, New Look and H&M- and my local Vintage store as the prices are ridiculous and they don't do any restoration on the clothes- they don't always note the entire condition either- just the main flaw/repair to be done!

FraeuleinBerlin

One of the Regulars
I'm at the (great and noble) University of Cambridge, and dressing vintage here seems pretty requisite amongst the Fellows (those are the professors who belong to my college of the university... kind of hard to explain but teachers anyway!)... the men are all impeccably suited with shoes that cost more than my house, and I've never seen the English Director of Studies without a fur stole and stilettoes! Maybe all you teachers should come teach here and keep the glamour going?

xxx

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
Tishkaminx said:
Kate

I get some fab vintage inspired peices from outlet stores- I shop mainly at the 'old ladies' shops like Coast, Precis Petite, Windsmoor, Phase Eight etc. They are more classically styled and fit a 'vintage figure' (as defined by 'What Katie Did' store) much better. The quality is always excellent but the sizing can be a bit on the large size. I just got a really nice black blouse form coast for £25.00- it's got puffed and cuffed short sleeves, hook and eye front and a fanctastic peplum- perfect with a pencil skirt but also looked good with my claf length flared black skirt too (which was a nice suprise)

Thank you! I've just ordered 2 lovely jackets from the clearance section on hobbs.co.uk which I'm hoping will go with some nice suit dresses (not that I've bought any yet!) :)

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
My job doesn't *technically* have a dress code at all with the exception of shoes, which must be closed toe and less than 1.5cm high, however since it's a hospital type environment common sense rules out a lot. There's always a risk of getting food or poop on you, and I've come home covered in scratches with my hair almost yanked out of my head, so I find myself always in a tshirt and jeans. At times I have worn an apron. I wish there was a way I could feel pretty at work but then if I did I would worry about my clothes getting ruined :(

Cricket

Practically Family
Since I am just starting on my own vintage wardrobe, my selections for work have been somewhat limited. However, I already had a decent collection of vintage hats and hairpieces, which I try to wear with simple outfits. If it's not vintage, I at least try to go with nice slacks with cardigans, knits and other vintage-inspired blouses. I always get comments on my hats because I am the only one at work who wears them. Sometimes the comments are flattering other times it's the "what is that" route.

But being a reporter, the outfit sometimes doesn't go as plannned. My job can go from hiking through the woods with deputies on the lookout for a missing girl to a stuffy board room to the rain on the side of the road at an accident to a room full of hyper and cuddly children. Sometimes a nice vintage outfit will do but the shoes may not allow me to hike down a gully.

I usually play it safe and stick with slacks. But at galas, dinners and other work-related functions, it is a skirt suit with nice hat.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran