Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drooping Hat Liner

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Is there any way to stiffen a hat liner, or attach it to the crown of the hat, so it doesn't droop and touch your head? This seems to be an issue with the satin/silk liners that have no plastic over them. I tried wetting one, and that helped... it conformed to the shape of the crown, and stayed up a lot better... but it still droops down a bit.

You may find some of these that were actually not only sewn in around the edges but also tacked at the top. I have a few Borsalinos that were done that way.
If wetting it works then tack it down with a few stitches in the crown to keep it there once it conforms. You have to be careful when doing this though. Don't go all the way through the felt when tacking the liner. :p

Regards,

J

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Some things to look for...

A properly fit hat liner will stay in position by itself, and the stitching at the bottom edge is to hold in from coming down or out.

Has this hat been renovated in the past? Did someone place an oversized or undersized liner in it? Check to see if the band line edge is properly placed, and it fills the inside crown properly.

And, yes, double sided tape is excellent, when all else fails. You only need a bit.

Visigoth

A-List Customer
This definitely hasn't been renovated or fooled with: it's a sewn-in liner in a brand new hat. It's just that the liner is satin (real silk, I suspect) and doesn't have any stiffness to it. It stays up, but droops enough to touch my head, which is annoying.

Double-sided tape is a great idea, but I'd have to unsew the liner... maybe a couple of stitches at the front and back will do.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Wonder what a quick spritz of ironing starch would do? Turn the hat upside down, give it a poof, let it dry. You would only be treating the fabroc, not the felt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff