Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman Roadmaster

Tomek

New in Town
Hello,

For some time now I have been lurking pictures of Buco J-23 / J-24 jackets (or D-pocket jackets since they seem to be known under that label as well). I must say that I find their design absolutely awesome, and the idea of purchasing one is growing slowly on me.

However, I don't bike, and I am a bit afraid that wearing such jacket, in their black versions, would scream too much wannabe or be too connoted punk/rock. Maybe it is just stupid stereotypes from my side, but if I take the decision to splurge on a 800 €- high quality J-23, I would like to be able to enjoy it in any context without worrying all the time that it's an inappropriate garment, off the bike (which I don't have, remember...).

So I started to look for a brown, more civilian version, and I stumbled on the Eastman Roadmaster, which really appeals to me :

http://www.eastmanleather.com/product_info.php?products_id=150

However, I have researched all over this forum and perused the Internet, and I couldn't find ONE comment or review on this jacket... Has someone ever bought it, in black or brown ?
What should I think about it ? Is it worth the (hefty) price ? What about the warhorse hide ? Is is especially different from the horsehide used by Aero for instance ? Would you recommend this model, or do other, better models of a J-23 in brown exist I am not aware of ?

Thanks for your insight !

olworthers

A-List Customer
I looked at these but decided to go for an Aero J106 instead, currently on order....!

-OW

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
I have an Eastman Luftwaffe jacket, which I have nothing but high praise for! So, you will not go wrong with the quality if you choose this jacket. Would you consider a less expensive jacket, as this type of M.C. Jacket is very common (though mostly in black) eBay is loaded with vintage examples, all the way to brand new... Take a look at a Schott, a bit less valuable than Eastman but fair enough quality for sure.

majormajor

One Too Many
The ELC warhorse hide is excellent, and if you want a broken in look, it will take on that look far quicker than the thicker FQHH used by Aero.;)

ron521

One of the Regulars
In black or brown, the design features such as zippered sleeves, snap-down collars, assymetrical zipper on the front all shout "motorcycle" pretty loudly. That said, I sometimes drive to work in my truck wearing my black Schott 125.

Tomek

New in Town
Since I have received my ELC Roadmaster in brown 2 days ago, I will supply this wonderful Forum, where I have learnt so much about leather jackets, and thanks to which I have finally pulled the trigger for my first Horsehide high-quality jacket, with my first significant contribution ;)

Please bear in mind that I am far, far away from the level of knowledge and experience regarding leather jackets, manufacturers, hides, patina and so on, which seems to be the standard here on the Lounge. So do not expect any sophisticated comparison with Aero, LW, Vanson or Goodwear products, as I don't own any and I have never had the chance to even touch or smell samples, except for 2 Aero jackets tried on in a store in Paris.

However, I will try to compensate for this lack of expertise by providing you with good enough pictures which hopefully will manage by themselves to speak volumes about the quality of the Roadmaster.

So, as soon as I got my long awaited package from Eastman, I put the jacket on, and although I hesitated a lot between size 42 and 44, it seemed that the size 42 was actually the right choice for me. The fit is tight but not too snug whilst wearing merely a T-shirt ; the jacket feels much snugger if I layer underneath with a sweater. It is still wearable though, and I guess the leather will stretch a bit and better accomodate thicker garments in the future.

All the pictures below have been taken with me wearing a T-shirt. Let's start the fashion show :D

From my modest perspective, what I can tell you is that the chestnut brown is a wonderful color, rich, deep, warm, but quite uniform though, as compared to the more marbled and versatile Aero brown (from what I can judge with the pictures posted on the forum). The hide itself is solid but rather lighter and more supple than the heavy horsehide which is considered as the norm for numerous jacket manufacturers. Personally, I intended to wear the Roadmaster mainly in spring/early autumn, so to me this lightness is a quality. The cut, as I said previously, is trim, especially at the belly level, whereas there is a quite a generous room for big shoulders and large chest at the upper level. It is clearly tailored for the V-shape backs...

All in all, I am very very happy, and now I just have to wait for the spring to arrive in Poland (it is snowing right now :mad:), for me to be able to waddle in town and proudly exhibit my very nice new jacket :cool:

Tomek - GREAT jacket! I'd like to see it unzipped too (knock it off jokers!)
It's a smart-fitting jacket, and the cut looks perfect for your build. More pics as it wears in...and of the lining too :)
Congrats!

Tomek

New in Town
I can't refuse anything to forum members thanks to whom I learnt so much these last months ;)

Zipped :

Unzipped :

Lining :

Jacket with flash on :

Jacket with flash off :

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
That is awsome! A very nice jacket, looks great on you, the lining s supeb.....great purchase, great review. Thanks mate,

Tomek

New in Town
Thanks for your praise guys :)

All the more valuable to me as you have probably come across many more quality jackets than me !

To answer ButteMT61's question, yes the lining is in wool.

Rockin' Dog

New in Town
A Very Cool looking jacket, Tomek!
It's a great fit and the colour really makes it stand out ...in a good way!
Post up some more pics of it after you have beaten it up with a few months of wear. It would be interesting to see how quickly the patina starts to develop.
Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo