Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman's Air Comfort civil flight jacket

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is a common design on the wearable vintage market, Aerial Star is making some, but I'd say Eastman's is really nice and deserves some exposure.

GetInline.aspx

GetInline.aspx

Edward

Bartender
When they first brought it out a few years ago, I thought it was a bit of a pricey way to get a more civilian design that wasn't so hard to find, but I've really comed round to it - these days, buying again, I'd much rather have something like this than an A2. The Aeriel Star is a really nice run on a similar idea, without the mouton collar (and I think a cotton lining as opposed to the ELC's... satin?). Funnily enough, a year or two ago I'd toyed with the idea of having an A2 run up, except in black and with slash pockets, but a cracking deal on a new Aero HWM (one of the first of the "Apprentice Made" line when they still had the blue label in them) sort of filled that gap in my collection. For now, at least....

regius

The Eastman makes the most authentic repro of this style. The 40s and 50s are mostly made out of rayon-satin lining, not cotton. The rayon-satin just feels luxurious and vintage, plus, they are easy to slip on! If you want cotton, stick to A2s.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I've always had a soft spot for this one too - actually I think I started a thread on them way back in the dim dark ages.

Another maker to also consider is Mark (Norshor/Superior Flight Apparel). His version is called (IIRC) the Stratoliner.

Love the lining in the ELC version though. Great functional jacket with bags of style.

regius

What is "the wearable vintage market"?
It's my expression for the 40s and 50s jackets that are good enough to be worn now on a daily basis/the collectors who like to wear out their finds because of the excellent condition.

Edward

Bartender
The Eastman makes the most authentic repro of this style. The 40s and 50s are mostly made out of rayon-satin lining, not cotton. The rayon-satin just feels luxurious and vintage, plus, they are easy to slip on! If you want cotton, stick to A2s.

Undoubtedly the Eastman take is more accurate to civilian jackets of the period. I also find an A2 with slash pockets appealing, though.

thor

Call Me a Cab
That Air Comfort design is kind of a cross between the A-2, the G-1 and the B-15; alot of military fliers would've loved it had it been a military-issue garment (call it the AN-J-5!).

Edward

Bartender
That Air Comfort design is kind of a cross between the A-2, the G-1 and the B-15; alot of military fliers would've loved it had it been a military-issue garment (call it the AN-J-5!).

Bound to be somebody already marketing something like this as a "lost experimental militar design" - alongside the MA2, the G8 and the Leather B15...

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Here are a few of the original post war civilian A2

Sears Hercules in Black Horsehide

DSC02397.jpg
DSC02426.jpg

Monarch in Horsehide

DSC02671.jpg
DSC02648.jpg

60s Black Sears Oakbrook

DSC02614.jpg
DSC02623.jpg

Sears Hercules in brown Horsehide

DSC02768.jpg
DSC02539.jpg

Last edited:

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Someone posted pictures here recently of an Aero 50's FJ without cargo pockets. That's pretty much a copy of the Sears at the bottom in standard form. Add a mouton collar and you have something very like the Eastman.

Edward

Bartender
The Aero Happy days is a similar model too. Very much in the style of some of the bigger-cut fifties jackets I've seen - more like a Highwayman with knits than an A2. Always wodnered why we don't see more of these... maybe folks either prefer military repro or civilian styles without knits? Possibly too there are more originals of these still around that come in cheaper than the repros.

53Effie

A-List Customer
I have a Happy Days by Aero in steer and I thought about it as well as I read through this thread. It's a very comfortable jacket and is quite similar to the Eastman model. You don't see many of them on the forums. I had Johnson Leathers reline mine with a quilted lining and it is actually a pretty good cold weather jacket. I wish it had a mouton collar.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I was just on the AL site, their Memphis model is the Black Hercules HH pictured above.

These jackets are favorites of mine, they are very comfortable to wear, easy to find, and fairly cheap. Problem is you end up with a bunch of them. I just bought another one, typical pattern as the ones above. Looks again like horshide, quilted lining, top finish nicely worn.

All those jackets pictured are really nice. The Horsehide are pretty sweet.

There are several recent editions issues on ebay now,,I've got to stay away.

Terry

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Second hand jackets are all very well but it is great to see these being reproduced as not everybody wants or will wear used clothing, 'vintage' or not.:)

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Unfortunate for my bank account I can wear both..There are several new jackets on ebay right now that I have a hard time turning away from. I think the Alexander Memphis is a fine looking jacket. I'm wearing an Alexander as I write this, cold in Illinois. My problem is I, like them all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran