Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Easy Virtue - 1920 Noel Coward based film

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
03-10-2009, 01:55 AM #2
BinkieBaumont
Practically Family

Location: Sunny, Monnied Shores of the Swan River Colony, Australia
What Ho!

I've just returned from a Matinee preview of "Easy Virtue" what Topping fun! crackling one liners between Colin Firth and the de lovely Kirsten Scott- Thomas, reminded me of Hepburn and Cary Grant, in the Philadelphia story, I was wondering who Jessica Biel reminded me of, of course! a rather young and very Blonde Joan Crawford, Jessica is a good actress, great Movie future for this young gel!

Loved the line "I'm very much like drowning, once you give up the struggle its quite pleasurable"

Do see it its such fun the audience I saw it with "roared"

Miss Mojito, Miss 1929 and other Fedorista Gels, will die for the frocks and hats, whilst the Chaps will lust after the vintage BMW sports car!

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Sleeper"

Easy Virtue is proving very popular here in town, its been showing for a couple of months, out performing the traditional "Block Buster", with virtually no "Ballyhoo", word of mouth has kept a steady stream of folks, buying a ticket at the lovely Cygnet Cinema.

2061_normal.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I've been waiting for this flick for close to a year.

I'd love to see it on the big screen but sadly it appears that we're now talkin' DVD.[huh]

Celia Crowson

Familiar Face
BinkieBaumont said:
"Celia please tell me you saw it at the Cremorne Orpheum, if not you should have made the trip you "Naughty Minx"

Sadly no Mr. BinkieBaumont - but I see from their website that they will be have a movie luncheon with Easy Virtue as the film next month... tempting

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Still waiting.

The US release was supposedly on the 22nd. [huh]

I guess it's DVD. :(

Professor

A-List Customer
Easy Virtue

Saw this film in Pasadena last night, based on the 1925 Noël Coward play, and what pleasure it was! -Dave

The twenties have roared... the thirties have yet to swing. John Whittaker, a young Englishman, falls madly in love with Larita, a sexy and glamorous American woman, and they marry impetuously. However when the couple returns to the family home, his mother Mrs Whittaker has an instant allergic reaction to her new daughter-in-law. Larita tries her best to fit in but fails to tiptoe through the minefield laid by her mother-in-law. Larita quickly realizes Mrs Whittaker's game and sees that she must fight back if she's not going to lose John. A battle of wits ensues and sparks soon fly. Mrs Whittaker manipulates every situation to undermine her, while Larita remains frustratingly calm and engineers sassy counter attacks. Before long, Mrs Whittaker's manipulation starts to work on John and Larita feels their love is in danger of slipping away. In a grand finale, where the secrets from Larita's past are revealed, she finally makes a break for freedom from the suffocating house...

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xDgWWH2xyeQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xDgWWH2xyeQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Brian Sheridan said:
"People" magazine gave it only **1/2 stars
I finally saw Easy Virtue last night and sadly, I would have to agree with People. [huh]

That said, I would still recommend seeing it if only for the wonderful wardrobe, sets and props.

Ms. Biel's dress in the Tango scene is alone worth the price of admission.

easy_virtue_xl_05--film-A.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
BinkieBaumont said:
"Its a Commonwealth thing" you have to recognise the characters, if you live somewhere like Detroit or Oslo I don't think you will get it
The London Times seemed to get it; not once but twice. ;)

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Oh Tommy, Tommy Tommy the "Picture" is all about "Old Money" something these young folk, in the current media have no concept of, being brought up in Maggie Thathers England" its all really an inside joke! Have you ever lived and worked in South Ken?, or managed the post office in a quaint English village, or helped Meg Richardson out at the reception of the "Crossroads Motel? NO! "I rest my case"

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
For "Region 1" Loungers (US & Canada), Easy Virtue will be out on DVD on Sept 15th. Also there will be a Blu-Ray version to see the fine details.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Finally got around to watching Easy Virtue (2009) this evening. It really has that Noel Coward and Preston Sturgis feel to it, and it should as it is based on a Noel Coward play after all. So nonchalant and full of quick wit. Sort of a dark British comedy. The butler is Chris Marshall who had starred in Love Actually along with Colin Firth. He added to the cast with his quiet wit as well.
I even liket the points that you thought it was going to become a musical as one of the leads sings quite well. And it seemed that there was a bit of modern music mixed in too just for good measure. sort of to keep one a tad off balance.

There was a great funny moment involving a nasty little dog that would have had my Pop in stitches. Almost thought I head him giggling at that particular scene. If you've seen this film then you know what i'm talking about.
It is a touch predictable to be sure, but like I said, it had the feel of a Noel Coward film. Plus I loved the costuming, especially the stuff Colin Firth wore. Wish I could find a really good screen capture of him in his overcoat, scarf, fedora and little oval sunglasses. Very cool & for the lack of a better word, nonchalant. This is all I could scare up.
Easy%20Virtue%20Colin%20Firth.jpg

20082.5.219.138.jpg

Plus the the 1937 Frazer Nash BMW in the beginning was fantastic eye candy. I may have found my second favorite car next to the 1937 Cord.
2009-b4-01.jpg

Also this is one of those films that I think Jessica Biel shines in. She does well with period films, sort of fits into them. Like The Illusionist.
easy-virtue-1.jpg

Picture-5-783666.png

This will be another one of my go to british films. I liked it because I get the whole "Commonwealth" thing. I enjoy British films in general. If you haven't seen this one yet, you might want to consider it at least once. Is it a blockbuster? No. But, it is worth at least viewing.

Cheers!

Dan

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot