Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Mystic

Practically Family
Whether or not your comment was about the Supreme Court decision yesterday is irrelevant. It came across that way, and if bartenders jump to that conclusion, so would have other members, and that would have devolved into political bickering because we have so many members with differing political ideologies. Hence, editing was necessary; we do it all the time to help keep the peace around here.

Brad

Who the H__L said anything about the supreme court?

I can't help what other people decide to read into other's comments and then decide to make themselves mad over what they think they read.

Mystic

Practically Family
The statement about your plans included buying more ammunition and moving out of the USA.
Why....was your hat too tight.
Bartender jumping is another thing not allowed here.

as I said in an earlier post.....If there is a problem with my comment or someone doesn't like my comment.....why not PM me and say what it is they don't like?

My statement about buying another gun and more ammo and my looking at plans to move out of the USA stems directly from my personal problems which I chose not to go into detail about in the comment.

I haven't said anything about what has gone on or happened because it is personal and I don't know anyone on this forum well enough to confide my problems with.

If you want to know my miserable tragic story I'll post it here. I have nothing to hide or be ashamed of.

Besides losing my job, at age 61, because of the recession and not drawing a paycheck since 2008. Losing a large part of my savings and having to live off of my saving for about 4 years. And, now close to 65, I will never have meaningful or decent employment the rest of my life. I had to go on Social Security early to keep from depleting my savings. at a large penalty for early retirement.

In Feburary of this year a Nephew and his wife were murdered in my home while they were staying with me.

Just Monday night my home was flooded out from a storm that wasted parts of northeast Florida. I was just allowed to go back to the property Wednesday evening and Thursday morning. My house still has about 3 foot of water in and around it. It had about 6 foot of water Tuesday morning. This has happened 4 times over the past 20 years I have lived close to this river. This was the worst. The house will have to have major renovation, almost completely rebuilt. Ins. will pay for most of it, but, I'm not up to going thorugh this again at this age and with all the rest of the problems. I decided just yesterday that I will not go back and rebuild my home.

I am now without a home. and, my life is completely changed for the worse than it was just 4 years ago and I see nothing in the future that shows me it will be any better for me.

I am looking to buy 2 hand guns from a friend and ammo now because I will not be able to afford anything extra in the future. And, If I do move out of the country I may not be able to buy these things somewhere else.

I have read it can be cheaper for americans to retire in other countries than here in the USA. There are several thousand Americans that do just that every year. Some even have American sections they live in in other countries.

Do you see why I just made a short comment without all the explanation.
Is there something sinister and horribly offensive to people on this forum about owning hand guns and retiring in another country?

To use a line I saw you use just last week to another poster........Are you happy now.

After the parties involved with this have read this comment.......you can delete it with my blessings.

Last edited:

TipTop

Practically Family
A LOT less than 8" in length=Another ebay miss-fire.

I'm guessing this handsome tan Ritch Rand LBJ/Open Road is 7 or 1/8; I measure 7.5 x 6.25. I have $14 in it and would send it to a fitting owner for that price plus shipping. High-grade felt in decent shape except for the irregular and therefore not prominent perforation (obscured by felt knap) on the top front. I think a rebash or a good pin would do the trick there. That was my intention if it fit, but it doesn't. I'll take more pics if you like, but the ad shots are representative.

My new rule will be only MARKED-size hats; these people are idiots; this is the THIRD return in 10 days for lousy descriptions (mothing "refer to the pictures!" that are awful and sizing that was clearly marked inside, but that they said wasn't there after instructions where to look). I've just about had it with ebay charlatans.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark B.

One of the Regulars
All the hats this seller, (timothiescloset), has listed were associated with the seller "the outdoorteam." Anybody know why the name change? His hats are some of the highest priced hats on the bay. He has a couple of Stetson Strats for $500-$700. I have yet to see any of his buy it now hats sell. Not sure how he stays in business.
Hehe, the Bailey Guthrie is a fine straw hat, which is still being manufactured as far as I know. Calling it "Vintage" doesn't make it worth $160. What planet is this guy on?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-BAILEY-Lite-Straw-Fedora-Hat-Soft-Cream-Color-Size-7-1-2-7-5-8-/280909645218?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41678505a2

Doomstein

One of the Regulars
All the hats this seller, (timothiescloset), has listed were associated with the seller "the outdoorteam." Anybody know why the name change? His hats are some of the highest priced hats on the bay. He has a couple of Stetson Strats for $500-$700. I have yet to see any of his buy it now hats sell. Not sure how he stays in business.

Heh, just because he buys his hat stock at retail prices, doesn't mean we're going to buy them from him at 'Double-Retail' prices XD

My main gripe though is that it's kind of misleading to list a hat that's still in the Bailey Summer 2012' catalog as being a vintage hat.

Last edited:

Mark B.

One of the Regulars
I agree with the misleading vintage listing. This seller seems to know enough about vintage hats to know better.

Heh, just because he buys his hat stock at retail prices, doesn't mean we're going to buy them from him at 'Double-Retail' prices XD

My main gripe though is that it's kind of misleading to list a hat that's still in the Bailey Summer 2012' catalog as being a vintage hat.

Doomstein

One of the Regulars
A LOT less than 8" in length=Another ebay miss-fire.

I'm guessing this handsome tan Ritch Rand LBJ/Open Road is 7 or 1/8; I measure 7.5 x 6.25. I have $14 in it and would send it to a fitting owner for that price plus shipping. High-grade felt in decent shape except for the irregular and therefore not prominent perforation (obscured by felt knap) on the top front. I think a rebash or a good pin would do the trick there. That was my intention if it fit, but it doesn't. I'll take more pics if you like, but the ad shots are representative.

My new rule will be only MARKED-size hats; these people are idiots; this is the THIRD return in 10 days for lousy descriptions (mothing "refer to the pictures!" that are awful and sizing that was clearly marked inside, but that they said wasn't there after instructions where to look). I've just about had it with ebay charlatans.

Man, that's a good looking hat. Sorry it doesn't fit. If I had one of them non-fat-people heads I'd be all over that thing!

I got into it with an ebay seller out in Michigan last week about that 70's Beaver Brand felt I got that was SUPPOSEDLY 7 3/8 but was ACTUALLY 7 1/8. She kept insisting that it was TAGGED 7 3/8, and that I obviously didn't know my hat size.

Of couse there was no hat size tag in the hat...

So I had to take it to a western wear outfitter nearby (I like to hijack their steamer) and we measured it, and tested it on a skinny 7 1/8 headed employee to verify it's actual size. I guess she didn't want a ding on her ebay feedback, so I managed a refund, minus the 16 bucks total shipping I had to eat.

But yeah, as you well know by now, if the seller doesn't know the size, they'll often just make something up. : (

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters