Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Walt

One of the Regulars
PayPal gives you protection similar to that of eBay, eh? [huh]

I would say PayPal provides some basic protections and Ebay provides some additional protections but I'd have to read their contracts to know all the differences for sure. Of course those don't always work to your favor as the incidents we've heard of on here attest to.

randooch

I'll Lock Up

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Here are some auction pics of my victory!! A Penney's Marathon w/ the original box. Won it for $50.

kgrhqn10.jpg

kgrhqr10.jpg

More pics to follow when it arrives. :D

Bitzelbook

New in Town

Walt

One of the Regulars

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Looks like a good snag, splintercellsz. Is that a backbow I see?

Yes it is! I don't know how I feel about BB's yet, so I will have to see when I recieve the hat. Gah, I hate waiting on shipping! I wish it could just be bought & POOF, it's there, but then again, the fun of anticipating it's arrival would be gone... hmm...

Last edited:

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Curious people on ebay. The seller who had an auction that closed with no bids accepted my post auction offer but refuses to do it as BIN through ebay and instead wants to do it as a private transaction only with me paying via paypal.

Now the seller has a long history with only one negative that is not too bad in itself so they may be perfectly legitimate with no intent of ripping me off, but seems rather risky. Seems such a transaction could be risky for them as well and since the final price is small the ebay fees wouldn't be much so why be so stubborn about that???

So it leaves me perplexed why they refuse to finish it through ebay (unless of course fraud is the game). Now they are probably under no obligation to complete the transaction if they changed their mind since this wasn't a formal BIN offer, that is to say the listing didn't have that option so I doubt it is counted that way. Or in other words they could just say no on the sale if they really don't want to sell at that price so no need to make it difficult therefore I can't see that as the motive. [huh]

Now if this person was on the lounge I'd play ball with them on such a transaction.

Also seems crazy for them to insist on oustide of ebay transactions using ebay's messaging/email system when that system has warnings all over it about making outside of ebay transactions! Quick way to have ones account yanked should it be discovered. Rather stupid of them to me!

Half tempted to just send them an email asking them what their game is if not just send it to ebay's reporting system for a rules violation.

Paypal covers you anyway.

Mystic

Practically Family
I would say PayPal provides some basic protections and Ebay provides some additional protections but I'd have to read their contracts to know all the differences for sure. Of course those don't always work to your favor as the incidents we've heard of on here attest to.

I had a similar situation back in June of this year. I missed the end of an auction, forgot about it. While deleteing old items from my watched list about 30 days later I saw the listing. Emailed the seller asked if the hat was still for sale and how much they wanted for it.
They emailed back and said yes and gave me a price...I made a counter offer they accepted and asked how I wanted to do the sale.
They could send a PayPal invoice or re-listed it with a buy it now price and I would have to get to the listing before anyone else saw it.

I though the same as you do...a bunch of what if's...and, concern over getting screwed. I had never done a sale this way before.

They sent me a PayPal invoice. I found it had all the same info as a ebay invoice..Sellers Name, home address, phone number, email addy, invoice number,date, buyers info, price, shipping, total price, shipping date, terms and conditions...seller added a return policy same as sellers on ebay.
I decided to take the chance based on the invoice info, seller track record on ebay, our communications and PayPal, clicked pay.
Got a PayPal receipt for purchase with complete info and a transaction ID number and confirmation sent to my email addy.
The seller sent a tracking number to my email, as I requested, after it was shipped

I got my hat, I got my price, ebay survived......I'm happy!!

Here's the bottom line....If you're that uncomfortable about doing it....don't do it.

Last edited:
In light of the negative ebay experiences that members have posted here recently, I wanted to share a few thoughts.

On-line communications have an anonymous nature that can result in the tone and intent of the message being misinterpreted. I find it helpful to reach the other way in an effort to keep my discussion with sellers cordial and clear.

I always engage with the seller on payment by using the comment box, sending something like this:

Note to seller: many thanks, in advance, for careful packaging and shipping! best wishes, Alan

This almost always will result in a reply such as this one received last night:

Thankyou Alan for your recent and prompt Paypal payment on this _________________________. It will be going out to you today, Wednesday, Priority mail with delivery confirmation. I'll be posting positive feedback for you with ebay shortly.
Kind regards, Laura

Of the 150 or so transactions I've logged on ebay, none have gone badly. Certainly some items have been less than I had hoped (some more) but as of yet, I have not experienced an attempt by a seller to cheat or defraud me. Luck is a factor, as is my critical sense of when or when not to participate in an auction. But generally, folks selling on ebay seem to be much like folks I meet elsewhere during the course of a day. A little bit of goodwill and cordial communication goes a long way towards working out any issues that might arise.

Landman

One Too Many
I try to do much the same as Alan. I try to be as friendly as possible but at least drop a hint that I would really appreciate the hat being packaged in a properly sized box. I have completed numerous transactions on eBay and have never had anyone intentionally try to take advantage of me. My only problems have been with poor packaging of the hat for shipping. The biggest problem being they take a beautiful old hat and cram it into a priority mail box that is too small for the hat. I've even offered to pay a little more shipping costs if they will put it in a bigger box.

Walt

One of the Regulars
I try to do much the same as Alan. I try to be as friendly as possible but at least drop a hint that I would really appreciate the hat being packaged in a properly sized box. I have completed numerous transactions on eBay and have never had anyone intentionally try to take advantage of me. My only problems have been with poor packaging of the hat for shipping. The biggest problem being they take a beautiful old hat and cram it into a priority mail box that is too small for the hat. I've even offered to pay a little more shipping costs if they will put it in a bigger box.

I to have done the same thing with shipping/packing especially if the hat is a large brim/crown fedora or western and the shipping quote is really low implying a small priority box.

Walt

One of the Regulars
Thanks for all the ideas and thoughts about this.

So I didn't get back to the seller before they relisted it as a BIN and I remade my offer, they accepted for the same amount and now I'm waiting to receive it.

While I did have some concerns about getting ripped off my larger concern was about potentially using the ebay system to violate their own rules. That was my biggest concern by far. Granted the chances of them finding out is very low it certainly isn't zero either. Using their own messaging system to do that seems a little too risky. At least use a regular email or other external way of communicating.

As I've pointed out previously the vast majority of transactions are positive with few of any being outright bad. If you think the risk is too high you won't use it. So far I have found the risk acceptable. Keep knocking on wood I suppose!

Cheers.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Not I... about fourteen sizes too big for me!

I'm getting exhausted from Ebay. Too many hats I don't really want, just because they're affordable and available. Sheesh. Certainly, I've won some gems, but I tell ya, I'm spending way too much time on that website. If I spent as much time practicing...
That's it. I'm saving for a custom.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
I hear you Jeff, I just got a parabuntal that turned out to be krap. I didn't need it in the first place. Luckily I can return it for a refund in this case. But your right, it all adds up fast even though it sounds like a deal at the time. Personally, I have limited room for hats and I've already surpassed that. Quality not quanity. Get exactly what you want and don't worry about fit with a nice custom. Still, those old hats are hard to pass up.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou