Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

John Galt

Vendor
Here are the other ads, all from 1938, - finally found them again. Hope this works, I'm having image issues...

[Edit - Sorry for the mess. Cleaning up. Order may be mixed up, but posting larger images.]

Sandusky Register, Friday March 18, 1938:

Sandusky Star Journal, Friday April 8, 1938:

Sandusky Star Journal, Friday April 15, 1938:

Attachments

• Bubble Weight Hat Ad April 1938 - 1.JPG
    Bubble Weight Hat Ad April 1938 - 1.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 255
  • Bubble Weight Hat Ad May 1938 - 2.JPG
    Bubble Weight Hat Ad May 1938 - 2.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 246
  • Bubble Weight Hat Ad April 1938 - 3.JPG
    527.7 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:

elveston

Familiar Face
Just picked up a couple of well-used Akubra Pilbaras on Ebay. I didn't really need two Pilbaras, but barrowjh (Memorial Day Refurb Project) got me inspired to test the limits of my abilities for cleaning and restoring.

Attachments

• dscn9040_800x600.jpg
    dscn9040_800x600.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Elveston, VERY nice!!!

I just pulled the trigger on these two.

Both were created by L. Greentree of Cheyenne, Wyoming. They are both new old stock form a store that closed in 1907, and the seller claimes that most of the items found in said store are 10-20 years older than the closing date of the store. Each are size 7's, too small for my noggin, but I couldn't help my self for research's sake. I will be interested in trading these for pre-30's hats in size 7 1/8 to smaller 7 1/4 pending on how these fit (I can squeeze into a 7 with a haircut).

Hat 1:
l110.jpg

l210.jpg

Hat 2:
l310.jpg

l410.jpg

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Not from eBay, but another source. Should be here later this week.

Anybody knows when this hat would date? I have never seen this Stetson logo on the sweat before, so I am pretty stumped...

h210.jpg

h110.jpg

h310.jpg

barrowjh

One Too Many
Splinter, that Stetson is interesting. You know there are some Stetson dating threads; maybe you can find some help there. Stetson did not leave Philly until the 50's, so the unusual font on the sweat is NOT recent. Maybe this is from the peak of the Art Deco age, which would put it late 1920's to early 30's. The font just reeks Art Deco, so I'm thinking it has to be from that era.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
I'm pretty keen on dating stetsons, but the sweat logo has me, and a few others baffled. It looks to have a taped sweat seam, and a sticker size label, so it may be pre-30s. The size label would be of great help, sadly the photo, as you can see, is very poor... Alas, we shall know when it arrives.

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
Just bought these two in one lot I get to the USA next Wednesday and these were my size both Stetson in 7 3/8

$T2eC16J,!)!E9s2fBWywBRrqjh(I!g~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16h,!zcE9s4g4wCeBRrqiet5rw~~60_57.JPG

I thought just under $30 shipped for the pair was pretty good (can't get them in the UK so no real idea of what they are worth)

Not that old but will save me from getting too sunburnt in the 2 1/2 month trip!

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Truly Warner

I gave him 40% over his initial bid price for a BIN, but I think it'll be worth the added coin. ;)

One hella deal for something that just needs a quick bath, looking otherwise unworn to my eye.

I am quite unfamiliar with the brand, but almost anything I CAN manage to find about them precedes '29.
Maybe they went down after the crash?

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Picked up a cheap Wegener on ebay.de, thinking it would be a good piece for a first attempt at replacing a ribbon. The photos and description suggested it was in near new condition. Well the interior is near mint, but it's clearly been sat in the sun - the grey felt has turned slightly pinkish, which wouldn't be a problem if it was evenly faded... It's not worth the cost of returning and I don't fancy removing the sweatband for an attempt at dyeing it. The only thing I can think of is trying to sponge it with a weak bleach solution and hope I can even out the colour... Anyone tried this or got other ideas? It's not a great financial loss if it doesn't work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80