Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

cookie

I'll Lock Up
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROYAL-STETS...771?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item566ce8f0c3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-50s...927?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item566c0b08c7

There was another grey earlier last year that went $405 and a greenish grey also over $400 the completed listing seems to be gone, all no Strat box

I think if you want to pay less than $270 your looking at getting a very rough one like;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231436811404?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

which may go higher as well, it is a vita-felt, has the box and the insert

Strats are taking over from Whippets IMO.

viclip

Practically Family
According to the seller in response to a question: " ... I did measure the inside of the band. From front to back is aprox 8" and from side to side is aprox 6.5".

I think it might have been alanfgag who posted an approximatation formula for ascertaining hat size being the addition of the long & short diameters divided by two. So, if memory serves me correctly in that vein, we get 8 + 6.5 = 14.5 / 2 = 7.25 or size 7-1/4 which is > than 7-1/8.

QED by viclip the brilliant mathematician (in my own mind)

I read today in a 1905 work respecting handling of hats, that the above formula actually generates the UK size. To attain the US size the result must be bumped up by 1/8.

Thus the previously calculated result of 7-3/8 is the UK size of the hat; the US size is 7-1/2 with the addition of the 1/8 size increment.

Needless to say the best thing is to prevail upon an eBay seller of an unsized hat, to carefully measure the inside circumference of the sweat band using a flexible cloth tape. Recourse to accurate hat sizing tables can then be resorted to.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
I read today in a 1905 work respecting handling of hats, that the above formula actually generates the UK size. To attain the US size the result must be bumped up by 1/8.

Thus the previously calculated result of 7-3/8 is the UK size of the hat; the US size is 7-1/2 with the addition of the 1/8 size increment.

Needless to say the best thing is to prevail upon an eBay seller of an unsized hat, to carefully measure the inside circumference of the sweat band using a flexible cloth tape. Recourse to accurate hat sizing tables can then be resorted to.

I've tried the formula refrenced above on many of my hats, and they all work out to the correct American size. /shrug

My feeling about sizing and eBay: understand that it's all approximate. Accept that on occasion, you're going to get a hat that sounded right in the measurements that fits all wrong. It comes with the online- and vintage-hat-buying experience, since short of trying a hat on in person, you're never going to really know. :)

A

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab

I saw that one too and about choked. The high expectations of some amaze me. But then, as it has been discussed before there are 2 sellers on ebay that have very nice hats and super high prices, some of which actually go for a very high price. I think other sellers see this and shoot for the moon with their listings as well.

fedoralover

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If it really was the bone color advertised that seller may have realized an even higher premium

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff