Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

I peppered her with sizing questions when she posted it. From her measurements it seemed to be a healthy 7 1/4 or tight 7 3/8. Close enough for me if I could have gotten it. No re-order tag, likely because it was a custom order from the factory. I told her it was going to go for some serious coin, but she doubted me. So after the auction, I sent her an I told you so note - all in good humor, of course.

The auction laughed off my bid like a gnat on The Incredible Hulk...

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
JUST NOW: $153.00 Who got it? Lol. Not me :( Wouldn't bid more then a buck 25. Supernatural Panama. View attachment 46562 View attachment 46563 If it's one of My Bros wear it in good health and show us what it looks like straightened out and cleaned up.

This hat is much more special than many on the lounge realize. This panama has a very tall crown with a deep crease and side dents. Unreeded sweatband and stampings place this hat somewhere in the 20's/30's more than likely. Not only is the weave very fine, its extremely rare to find a panama from the 20's/30's that's not cracked or crushed. Many panamas are woven with short crowns and you simply cannot "raise the crown height" on a panama that easily. Panamas are woven on specific blocks with specific heights and with the exception of squeezing an extra 1/8 of an inch out of an already blocked crown...the height is pretty set. Unlike felts that can be raised using brim material. If you were to buy this same hat from Optimo today, pending they could source the oversize fine woven panama bodies (a handful of people in the world that can still weave fine bodies), its would cost between $1000 - $2500. At $150, it was a STEAL 10 times over.

I'm the lucky fella that got this one. I waited to say anything on here until I had it in my hands. I can tell you, it's a great one! I'll get pictures of it up in the New Hats thread ASAP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany