Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

makitright

One of the Regulars
The vintage style stretchers when in good working order a million times better than these. Etsy has a seller that makes them new based on the vintage design and you can get it in the size you are looking for - search hat stretchers on Etsy.

As a general rule though try to stay away from stretching hats up from their original size - brims change shape and crowns begin to look tapered. I have learned this from experience. I have several hats that look wonky that I will not wear again.

Often times vintage hats have shrunk from their original size. I have received originally 7 5/8 hats that are actually 1 or 2 sizes smaller because of shrinkage. This is the ideal candidate for the vintage stretcher. With a good amount of steam/moisture these hats can be encouraged to regain their original manufactured size without being distorted because they are being asked to go beyond their original proportions.

I've read through several dating threads today and late 50s is what I was thinking as well. I'll look for more evidence under the sweat when it gets here.

I've been looking at the best stretcher to get to go from a 7 1/8 long oval to a 7 1/4. What about one of these? Is it really worth the money to get one of the vintage style stretchers? Most are listed in the 6 3/4 size. Will they go up to 7 1/4?

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/201792024870
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/262605456672
For what it is worth....I do not have a vintage but have 3 modern US hat jacks. The best by far is the one labelled HAT JACK> Picked it up on Ebay, It is the best made and easiest to use of the 3. Think I paid $20

For what it is worth....I do not have a vintage but have 3 modern US hat jacks. The best by far is the one labelled HAT JACK> Picked it up on Ebay, It is the best made and easiest to use of the 3. Think I paid $20
Okay, just opened your links. I have both models you show. The first one is a pain to use. Harder to turn and thus harder to keep in place on the sweat band. The Hat Jack model is much much easier to keep on track.

eli104

New in Town
Okay, just opened your links. I have both models you show. The first one is a pain to use. Harder to turn and thus harder to keep in place on the sweat band. The Hat Jack model is much much easier to keep on track.

I agree and have both. The taller model is best for taller hats (I have an old beaver Top Hat that's shrunk, was able to stretch it just enough to fit again). The shorter ones are easier and should be fine with most hats. BUT be very careful not to overstretch, or you'll end up with a nice bump in the crown.

Eli

I agree and have both. The taller model is best for taller hats (I have an old beaver Top Hat that's shrunk, was able to stretch it just enough to fit again). The shorter ones are easier and should be fine with most hats. BUT be very careful not to overstretch, or you'll end up with a nice bump in the crown.

Eli

I do not have a Hat Jack, so my opinion is just based on observation. However, it would seem to me a Hat Jack, given it's limited contact with the hat, would have a tendency to create a long oval rather than stretch the circumference of the hat. Vintage stretchers (which I own), while obviously putting more pressure on the front and back, do put some pressure on the sides, and would also seem to give you more of an oval stretch.

Just an observation/theory.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I do not have a Hat Jack, so my opinion is just based on observation. However, it would seem to me a Hat Jack, given it's limited contact with the hat, would have a tendency to create a long oval rather than stretch the circumference of the hat. Vintage stretchers (which I own), while obviously putting more pressure on the front and back, do put some pressure on the sides, and would also seem to give you more of an oval stretch.

Just an observation/theory.
Not sure ....the hat jack width matches the sweat and is approx. the same depth as a vintage jack. It probably does inherently produce a long oval as the screw mechanism applies the pressure north/south with only tangential pressure east/west. I think the result would be much the same regardless of new or vintage.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I'll get into the opinion poll on stretchers , I have two "Hat Jacks" I bought off eBay $14.49 Free Shipping , and 3 Millinery Made-Rite Stretchers . To me (IMHO) the Millinery Stretchers are 1000X Better . I think the Hat Jacks I have , being LO , need some narrowing by removing some wood on the sides . Regular Oval they'd work great I think .

Magus

Practically Family
My favorite (and best) hat stretcher, is a hat block, cut to the exact shape of my head. It can also take a hat up one size, with properly applied steam. Art Fawcett made mine from inch and a half cedar, but the process is simple enough. Make a template using poster board, then use it to cut out a good guality wood and you're in business.

Cheers,
M

My favorite (and best) hat stretcher, is a hat block, cut to the exact shape of my head. It can also take a hat up one size, with properly applied steam. Art Fawcett made mine from inch and a half cedar, but the process is simple enough. Make a template using poster board, then use it to cut out a good guality wood and you're in business.

Cheers,
M
I have made a few of these, based on my custom hatter's pattern of my melon. I also find that the 1" pink insulation foam for houses works well too.
23Nov16 Hat Form 1.jpg

I use the foam ones for more of a keeper of the size rather than a stretcher. For heavy duty use, I use the ones I made out of wood. Even then, they are not the best idea for the initial stretch, say from 7 1/8 to 7 1/4. Best to go slow with a Hat Jack until you are close. Then steam and put the hard form in. Let it set for a day or so, and then maybe even more steam and rest.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
I am super bummed. I just received a Knox bowler that looked great in the seller's pics. I asked about the condition of the leather sweatband and if the stitching was intact, was told all was fine. Well, the sweat is being held in by about 3 inches of stitching in the back by the seam, all the rest of the thread is rotted out.
Damn. I was so looking forward to this one, and now it's a huge let-down.
The seller seemed nice when I messaged him previously, hopefully he'll be as pleasant about a return.
:( :( :(

I am super bummed. I just received a Knox bowler that looked great in the seller's pics. I asked about the condition of the leather sweatband and if the stitching was intact, was told all was fine. Well, the sweat is being held in by about 3 inches of stitching in the back by the seam, all the rest of the thread is rotted out.
Damn. I was so looking forward to this one, and now it's a huge let-down.
The seller seemed nice when I messaged him previously, hopefully he'll be as pleasant about a return.
:( :( :(

Bummer moe. Good luck.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Yeah , you never know . I've wanted to return an item that was not as described , and actually already shipped it , the seller refunded and said keep it . Too Late . I couldn't use it anyway . Hope it goes well Moe .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy