Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

No, it is indeed a 7 1/4. I think it has shrunk due to "dry" storage over the years. It has brittle stitches on the sweat, some have popped loose while trying to stretch it on my head. It should be just right after I have Mike Miller bring it back to it's original size. I think it is quite old, the original store it came from closed in 1946.
Well, then you did well indeed even figuring in the "Mike Miller Re-hab"......Hopefully he can bring the original sweat back to life......or at least save it for you after the replacement......
Best,
M

Nathaniel Finley

A-List Customer
Well, the hat DOES look like a nice one......and some of the companies were still making very nice felt into the 60's.....especially on the open crown short brims.......I have a few that I would very much compare to the earlier felts....they typically are made by the independent hat shops though......however.....It seems SOME nice felt bodies were still around at some of the big stores as I have a FEW from the big guys that are quite remarkable.....I have an early 60's Marathon that is open crown short brim (2 1/8") and is VERY remarkable felt!!!! Takes whatever crease I wish to place in it!!!! It is one of my fun hats (along with a Churchill 20 of the same class) that I like to wear and manipulate the felt when I have nothing better to do...............
And as everyone has said, "it does look good on you"!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers and welcome to the Lounge!!!!!!
M

Thank you Mr. Hatman!

This old Champ will take any dent I want to give it, and when I change the dent there are no signs of the last one. It just doesn't have much crown at all - I did a Gus earlier today and a diamond and one that looked just like Smokey the Bear on my head.

It's super soft. But I have nothing to compare it to by way of vintage felt - I just know it's a darn sight softer than my Akubras. I suppose I'll take the new guy out in a tropical rain and see if he's anywhere near Akubra strength in braving down serious weather.

(As a side note, the more I wear him the more I get the faintest whiff of pipe smoke from him. I love it, especially as a former pipe smoker myself.)

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Victory! Borsalino. Lost it to a BIN ($120 something) abt 2 weeks ago and it suddenly appeared back yesterday. Seems the original BIN buyer didn't like the finished pencil curl brim binding... Really? That why I wanted it. Just scored it back for $78.
$_3 (8).JPG
$_3 (7).JPG
$_3.JPG
$_3 (1).JPG
$_3 (5).JPG
$_3 (2).JPG

KarlCrow

One Too Many
Victory! Borsalino. Lost it to a BIN ($120 something) abt 2 weeks ago and it suddenly appeared back yesterday. Seems the original BIN buyer didn't like the finished pencil curl brim binding... Really? That why I wanted it. Just scored it back for $78. View attachment 82837 View attachment 82838 View attachment 82839 View attachment 82840 View attachment 82841 View attachment 82842
Incredible deal and luck. Love the pencil curl as well. This is a beautiful Borsalino.

Victory! Borsalino. Lost it to a BIN ($120 something) abt 2 weeks ago and it suddenly appeared back yesterday. Seems the original BIN buyer didn't like the finished pencil curl brim binding... Really? That why I wanted it. Just scored it back for $78. View attachment 82837 View attachment 82838 View attachment 82839 View attachment 82840 View attachment 82841 View attachment 82842
Fantastic looking hat, Bob. Luck is with the brave sometimes. Never seen a pencil curl brimmed borsalino before so a rare find too.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Victory! Borsalino. Lost it to a BIN ($120 something) abt 2 weeks ago and it suddenly appeared back yesterday. Seems the original BIN buyer didn't like the finished pencil curl brim binding... Really? That why I wanted it. Just scored it back for $78.
_3-8-jpg.82837
You were lucky Robert. You've found a lover of the classic Borsalino little enthusiastic about the brim shape.
The hat was sold in Venezia and from what I see in the pictures is a sort of "Lobbia" with pencil curl brimmed with a thin ribbon.
Very interesting and unusual
I'm curious to see what its true color is.
I hope it's perfect for your head ;)

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
You were lucky Robert. You've found a lover of the classic Borsalino little enthusiastic about the brim shape.
The hat was sold in Venezia and from what I see in the pictures is a sort of "Lobbia" with pencil curl brimmed with a thin ribbon.
Very interesting and unusual
I'm curious to see what its true color is.
I hope it's perfect for your head ;)
Thank you Daniele. I thought it was a little different. I'll post more detailed pictures once I've received it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass