Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
I think I made the right choice.

a1331695ebaa7cc718f692eabbe3e0f7.jpg

Cheers! David
Yes, yes you did, David. Sleek ride!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Eelephant

Familiar Face
Man, was just out on eBay (usually a waste of time due to the very, very few hats out there that even come close to my size, but I sometimes I can't resist!), and there was a really cool looking Biltmore diamond crown stingy. Awesome color, sharp lines, etc... And, I look at the price!! It would have been over $200 with shipping! Is this normal for a Biltmore? Maybe I'm just a cheap ba***rd, but that seems like a crapload of money. Any thoughts?

Man, was just out on eBay (usually a waste of time due to the very, very few hats out there that even come close to my size, but I sometimes I can't resist!), and there was a really cool looking Biltmore diamond crown stingy. Awesome color, sharp lines, etc... And, I look at the price!! It would have been over $200 with shipping! Is this normal for a Biltmore? Maybe I'm just a cheap ba***rd, but that seems like a crapload of money. Any thoughts?
That does seem like a boatload of money for a Biltmore especially a stingy of any brand. That is around my price point for vintage Stetsons and Borsalinos (although it is getting harder to get them at that price these days)

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
New top of the line NOS Canadian Biltmores, when you can find them from brick and mortar shops and Internet vendors (they're still out there) are priced in the $200 +/- range. The better quality current production American Biltmores are at that price point as well, so $200 for a previously owned Biltmore from an ebay seller is ridiculous. PASS.

boze

One of the Regulars
I would be bidding if this was two sizes larger. If it sales for a decent price, someone is getting a good deal on this Stetson Gun Club.

ce7b1af4e43192e3f2c90350240a5152.jpg

9737e9e077b9304f045cade4bf573876.jpg
9204e704650cb3f188f2e3628d4abb45.jpg
0d9ee90de04d681e303fcdf3b72f387a.jpg

I bought that hat and personally I'd prefer if folks could use this thread for auctions they've won rather than broadcasting the availability of hats in my size rather than theirs, ya know? Like if the Gun Club had been in your sizes you would have waited to win before you posted it here right? So it's like you're really just making it harder for me and any other 7 3/8 lounger despite the good intentions. Would you want me posting 7 5/8 hats here even though I don't buy them or would you rather me stay quiet so you can search for yourself? No offense and no hard feelings of course.

Thoughts?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
that hat will be there forever just in case you feel like revisiting it periodically

I bought that hat and personally I'd prefer if folks could use this thread for auctions they've won rather than broadcasting the availability of hats in my size rather than theirs, ya know? Like if the Gun Club had been in your sizes you would have waited to win before you posted it here right? So it's like you're really just making it harder for me and any other 7 3/8 lounger despite the good intentions. Would you want me posting 7 5/8 hats here even though I don't buy them or would you rather me stay quiet so you can search for yourself? No offense and no hard feelings of course.

Thoughts?

I certainly meant no harm. I only wanted to see that the hat revived exposure to the audience that could most appreciate it. I never bid on hats that are not my size to drive the price up.

I like a bargain as much as the next guy, but I really don't think you have much of a complaint. The seller has the right to get what the market will bear. When I sell I don't want an item to go cheap because it misses its target market. I get the feeling like someone is reaching into your pocket and costing you money, but what you are really saying is that you wanted to get the item for less than it was worth and deny the seller out of what he could have sold it for. My opinion only. I for one am a believer in market economics and I'll look for a deal, but I won't be upset if someone is willing to pay more.

I also realize that eBay and other similar services have driven the prices of many items way higher, but that's just the time we live in. As to you listing hats in my size and potentially raising the price because others become aware of it, please do. I'm willing to pay a fair price and the market determines what that price is. As for "making it harder for ....any other Lounger," might I not have made it easier for some other Lounger to find the hat and have their chance at it?

I took no offense and harbor no ill feelings, but I do not agree with your premise. That said, I don't make a habit of doing this as I simply don't have the time or inclination.

It's a great hat and I sincerely hope you enjoy it.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I certainly meant no harm. I only wanted to see that the hat revived exposure to the audience that could most appreciate it. I never bid on hats that are not my size to drive the price up.

I like a bargain as much as the next guy, but I really don't think you have much of a complaint. The seller has the right to get what the market will bear. When I sell I don't want an item to go cheap because it misses its target market. I get the feeling like someone is reaching into your pocket and costing you money, but what you are really saying is that you wanted to get the item for less than it was worth and deny the seller out of what he could have sold it for. My opinion only. I for one am a believer in market economics and I'll look for a deal, but I won't be upset if someone is willing to pay more.

I also realize that eBay and other similar services have driven the prices of many items way higher, but that's just the time we live in. As to you listing hats in my size and potentially raising the price because others become aware of it, please do. I'm willing to pay a fair price and the market determines what that price is. As for "making it harder for ....any other Lounger," might I not have made it easier for some other Lounger to find the hat and have their chance at it?

I took no offense and harbor no ill feelings, but I do not agree with your premise. That said, I don't make a habit of doing this as I simply don't have the time or inclination.

Words to live by...
"Buy low/Sell high."

DJH

I'll Lock Up

While posting links to eBay actions is not strictly against the rules here, it is generally considered to be quite poor etiquette.

The exception, is when it is your own auction in which case you can post a link to it in the classified section. The other exception is when the price of a hat is so high that no one would want to buy it anyway and we can all laugh about it!

Some of our members put a lot of effort into tracking down bargains on eBay, and the last thing they want is for those auctions to suddenly be publicized here in front of most of their competition.

I couldn't disagree with this BS more!

I couldn't disagree with this BS more!
What other motive did you think I had? How was I getting anything out of it? Rather than disparaging someone you have not met and jumping to conclusions you might give others the benefit of your doubts. It's easy to be a bully in an anonymous setting, but I just don't get people like you.

I won't post similar items here again and feel free to block my postings if it makes you felt better.

While posting links to eBay actions is not strictly against the rules here, it is generally considered to be quite poor etiquette.

The exception, is when it is your own auction in which case you can post a link to it in the classified section. The other exception is when the price of a hat is so high that no one would want to buy it anyway and we can all laugh about it!

Some of our members put a lot of effort into tracking down bargains on eBay, and the last thing they want is for those auctions to suddenly be publicized here in front of most of their competition.

That sir is how to make a point. Thank you for being articulate and a gentleman in expressing your differences of opinion. I understand your comments and I concede that it might not be the best practice. I will desist. I meant no harm and I hoped to be the recipient in the future of others looking out for fellow Lounge members if they came across a hat in my size.

I did not profit from advertising the hat and I had no skin in the game. Why some feel compelled to assign motives that do not exist I do not know. This has been my first negative encounter with members here, and I hope the last.

Same here...what a load of horse ****...
I'm sorry, do you know me? I've come to expect better manners here at the Lounge. I perhaps did something that was not a best practice, but my motives were good. How can your make such assumptions? If you disagree with me tell me and we can try to resolve the issue. It's better then making personal attacks against someone you don't know. This is how polite society works.

What other motive did you think I had? How was I getting anything out of it?
Handsome, where did I say you had a personal motive at stake in this auction or with your post?

I only wanted to see that the hat revived exposure to the audience that could most appreciate it.
Why would you ever care or think it was your responsibility to "revive exposure" in an auction by involving yourself? An auction is strictly between the seller & any bidders. An auction can be hurt by things as simply as how the seller has written his text up or the pictures he provides. Would you propose to make recommendations to the seller on those as well?

I get the feeling like someone is reaching into your pocket and costing you money, but what you are really saying is that you wanted to get the item for less than it was worth and deny the seller out of what he could have sold it for.
It's only natural that any buyer wishes to win an auction with a bid that saves him some money. The seller has the right to protect his item by placing a minimum reserve if he chooses to do so; that is entirely his decision. It should be of no concern to anyone else what he may think the market price is or be willing to accept as a selling price. Again, why involve yourself at all?

As for "making it harder for ....any other Lounger," might I not have made it easier for some other Lounger to find the hat and have their chance at it
As far as your comment on bringing the auction to the attention of fellow loungers I have to agree with 25B, that is horse shit. Please read again DJH's point about how hard Lounge members who are collecting vintage hats work the various auction sites & internet sources. And I'm quite sure Boze knows exactly what he is looking for & doesn't need anyone to bring an auction listing to his attention on an open forum.

...feel free to block my postings if it makes you felt better.
Please do put my posts on your ignore list, I'll do the same with yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21