Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
In this case, I think you really got a great deal with such a beautiful hat in a large size. No custom will ever get you that guild edge, and the style is something I could easily see asking for in a custom hat.

Thanks, Lefty. You're reading my mind. Over in the Optimo thread, metropd had recently posted some photos of a beautiful gray fedora from Optimo with a nice wide black ribbon -- a very vintage look. I think that one went for over $500. The Dobbs 20 has a very similar look, appears to be in excellent condition, and has a Guild Edge thrown in to boot. All things considered, I think it was a good deal. Another plus is that the Dobbs 20 lives just a few miles down the road from me here in Motown, so it shouldn't take too long to get to my doorstep...:)

And dumbjaw -- thanks for the preview. Does your lid have a reeded sweat?

Cheers,
JtL

MattJH

One Too Many
jimmy the lid said:
And dumbjaw -- thanks for the preview. Does your lid have a reeded sweat?

No matter how many times this is described to me, I still don't know what reeded and unreeded means in reference to sweatbands. I'd need a photograph to show me. I guess I'm more visual.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
The Dobbs 20 arrived today, and it is stunning. As opposed to the auction photos, which seemed to show a gray hat with a black ribbon, this lid has a distinctly blue caste to it, with a navy ribbon. It's a rich shade of blue/gray, and changes color depending on the lighting. My wife is traveling with the camera right now, so here is a color corrected version of the auction photo that fairly captures the look of this lid:

Dobbs20CC2.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

cookie

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
The Dobbs 20 arrived today, and it is stunning. As opposed to the auction photos, which seemed to show a gray hat with a black ribbon, this lid has a distinctly blue caste to it, with a navy ribbon. It's a rich shade of blue/gray, and changes color depending on the lighting. My wife is traveling with the camera right now, so here is a color corrected version of the auction photo that fairly captures the look of this lid:

Dobbs20CC2.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

You paid big but the price was right for a hat that quality and size IMHO

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
cookie said:
You paid big but the price was right for a hat that quality and size IMHO

Thanks, Cookie. Today was my first chance to see this lid in the daylight, and it definitely comes across as a blue hat. Without a camera around, I've resorted to a cell phone shot, but I think you'll see what I mean...

Dobbs20Outdoor.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
Thanks, Cookie. Today was my first chance to see this lid in the daylight, and it definitely comes across as a blue hat. Without a camera around, I've resorted to a cell phone shot, but I think you'll see what I mean...

Dobbs20Outdoor.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Holey smokes, JtL, that color is amazing. What a stunning blue tint. Good job scoring that lid. What are you gonna do for crown treatment?

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
handlebar bart said:
Holey smokes, JtL, that color is amazing. What a stunning blue tint. Good job scoring that lid. What are you gonna do for crown treatment?

Thanks Bart! Unless I miss my guess, this one's probably headed for the JtL Teardrop® (as AlanC would say... :))

Cheers,
JtL

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
Thanks Bart! Unless I miss my guess, this one's probably headed for the JtL Teardrop® (as AlanC would say... :))

Cheers,
JtL

lol lol lol lol lol So if I copy you I would have to pay a royalty each time I wear it?lol lol

Stoney

Practically Family
jimmy the lid said:

Dobbs20Outdoor.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

I love that hue of blue Jimmy. You lucky dog you.:eusa_clap

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Stoney. The cell phone shot doesn't do a terrible job of showing the color of the hat in direct sunlight. Of course, it's always hard to capture color nuances in a photo.

This 1940 Dobbs ad shows the color "Blue Quill," which is virtually identical to the color of my lid. In general, it is a rich blue color. In direct sunlight, it lightens up and appears as more of a powder blue. The navy ribbon really sets it off nicely.
DobbsBlueQuill.jpg

Once the camera gets back home later this week, I'll be sure to post some photos.

Cheers,
JtL

jec

One of the Regulars
Very curious. Are the winners of either auction known to members on the Lounge? More importantly, note that the seller has a '0' feedback rating; that's a red flag for me, always.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay