Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

barrowjh

One Too Many
I started out just pushing the crown out with my fingers, got a jug involved, and finally got that stretcher in there. It is a 6 3/4 stretcher in a 7 1/8 hat. I was unable to pull the felt taught across the top. Would it have helped if I had taken the liner out? Maybe. It is only glued in. I was able to get a 6 1/2 stretcher in sideways. Since the felt is not the color I wanted, it is just an expensive toy to play with, experiment with.

What would have been the outcome if I had applied the scotch to the crown? Didn't think of that, maybe next time. Applied plenty of steam to the crown, had to refill the teapot, probably worked on that hat for 2-3 hours or thereabouts.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
barrowjh said:
I started out just pushing the crown out with my fingers, got a jug involved, and finally got that stretcher in there. It is a 6 3/4 stretcher in a 7 1/8 hat. I was unable to pull the felt taught across the top. Would it have helped if I had taken the liner out? Maybe. It is only glued in. I was able to get a 6 1/2 stretcher in sideways. Since the felt is not the color I wanted, it is just an expensive toy to play with, experiment with.

What would have been the outcome if I had applied the scotch to the crown? Didn't think of that, maybe next time. Applied plenty of steam to the crown, had to refill the teapot, probably worked on that hat for 2-3 hours or thereabouts.

The alcohol would soften the shellac, and you would smell like a drunk when you wore the hat for some time.

RBH

Bartender
barrowjh said:
IMG_1477.jpg

WHO IS THIS GUY???
And what has he done with John Barrow?

:D

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here

barrowjh

One Too Many
Incarcerated (reply to RBH)

busted for dog whisper'n, remember?

On a more serious note, my post 10667 on July 6th about the sudden decline in bidding fever for hats - since then the trend has generally continued. Dinerman was unpleasantly surprised on one of his (clear beaver, no less) and last night I sat here and watched an Art Fawcett 7 1/8 go unsold. The seller had a high entry price of $95, and did not have good pictures, but nobody expressed any interest in it, there were no questions.

Housing starts have plummeted to levels never seen, we're not buying cars either, retailers reported a disappointing June - like somebody flipped a switch. Like 2008 all over again, a deja-vu.

Last year I tried to point out the obvious oxymoron - 'jobless' recovery - when that was a popular term seen often in the press. If its jobless, it aint a recovery! If you were a comedian and wanted to come up with a line to characterize stupid economists being fooled by a bear-market rally, could you come up with a better line than " we believe this is going to be a jobless recovery . . ."

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
barrowjh said:
busted for dog whisper'n, remember?

On a more serious note, my post 10667 on July 6th about the sudden decline in bidding fever for hats - since then the trend has generally continued. Dinerman was unpleasantly surprised on one of his (clear beaver, no less) and last night I sat here and watched an Art Fawcett 7 1/8 go unsold. The seller had a high entry price of $95, and did not have good pictures, but nobody expressed any interest in it, there were no questions.

Housing starts have plummeted to levels never seen, we're not buying cars either, retailers reported a disappointing June - like somebody flipped a switch. Like 2008 all over again, a deja-vu.

Last year I tried to point out the obvious oxymoron - 'jobless' recovery - when that was a popular term seen often in the press. If its jobless, it aint a recovery! If you were a comedian and wanted to come up with a line to characterize stupid economists being fooled by a bear-market rally, could you come up with a better line than " we believe this is going to be a jobless recovery . . ."

Exhibit "A" -a 7 1/4 Strat for under twenty bucks! Whisky Tango Foxtrot indeed!

jeffconnors

A-List Customer
rlk said:
Probably stained beyond recovery, and too short a period to make generalizations(remember the Stetson 100 case?).
Saw that one...wow
I am thinking the summer has something to do with it...just like c-mas time..around then hat prices where down....[huh]

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Rick Blaine said:
Exhibit "A" -a 7 1/4 Strat for under twenty bucks! Whisky Tango Foxtrot indeed!

I wasn't convinced it was that big. 7 3/4" long x 6" wide seems more like a 7.

I just can't get worried about the prices small hats are selling for. They are just so common there is no reason to pay big bucks for a dirty one.

JPH

Familiar Face
What Might Have Been

This very intriguing mutation slipped right through my fingers by not waiting until the final few seconds, the winner re-upped his bid. :eusa_doh: Oh well, I hope it went to a fellow Lounger.

Akubra Imperial Quality Slouch Hat size 7 3/8

This lid was an Imperial Quality light tan felt (sand or sandtone?) instead of the usual Superfine khaki, lined, configured like a military slouch with a dark brown edge binding & matching puggaree, ventilation grommets, slouch hat brim clip, and chinstrap. [huh]

Like I said an intriguing mutation. Wouldn't you agree?

Joseph

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany