Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I look forward to your photos of it.

1918 Chase and Co. catalog
hatcatlg0001.JPG
hatcatlg0009.JPG

Did somebody here get this? I saved all the pictures of the pages before the auction was over just in case someone didnt grab it.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
with 190?...C & K.
img_2483.jpg
5509601438_532fb1a858.jpg

Exactly, that's what I thought. Ive seen pictures of your soft hats, Robert, and that Knox has a 50's sweatband, liner, and size tag. Its odd though, because the high bowl flange, ribbon design, and look of the felt resemble an old soft hat. The crown on the Knox though seems to be pretty low. Ive never seen a Knox like that before. Could it have been an old hat body that was sent to Knox in the 50's for a renovation?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Its not a 50's sweat,size tag or liner. Stitching, width and taped seam are same as early hats. Early Knox Derbies have the same 5 loop tasseled rear bow. Its a longer narrower paper tag with simpler # style that is not like the foil size tags of the 50's and is generic. Liner is no different and this logo does not appear on later hats.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Its not a 50's sweat,size tag or liner. Stitching, width and taped seam are same as early hats. Early Knox Derbies have the same 5 loop tasseled rear bow. Its a longer narrower paper tag with simpler # style that is not like the foil size tags of the 50's and is generic. Liner is no different and this logo does not appear on later hats.

Your right, Robert. Im not sure where my head is today. The taped seam and sweatband should have been dead giveaways. I just mostly looked at the logo. The logo that I had in my head was this:
knoxlogos.jpg

That logo is from a 1950's Knox that I have, but didnt remember that it was a Gold liner logo and not Multi Colored. What time period would you date that knox soft hat too? That C&K looks quite a bit older.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Wow, I've been looking for Chase Hats information for a while now, as Crofut & Knapp produced hats for them. Have yet to see one of their hats surface. Brad

I can't recall any, and I tend to save photos of anything new to me. Like Josh, I just saved the images and moved along.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up

I was loosely guessing teens or twenties on that one. Whatever it is, it's pretty great.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I was loosely guessing teens or twenties on that one. Whatever it is, it's pretty great.

Need it in hand to possibly get more precise, but that was my guess too. Also looking at bow style and flanging which don't seem to have continued much later.

frussell

One Too Many
What's the highest you guys have seen a Stratoliner go for on eBay? I was bidding on one in my size, but the price went over my limit, and now stands at $325 with several hours left. I was in the fight until we started approaching Art/TonyB/Penman prices (at which point the vintage "wow" factor melts for me, and I start thinking about getting something made that I absolutely KNOW will fit and be damage-free). I'll be interested to see where this one ends up. Always a wild card when huge size is involved. This one is a 7 3/4 Long Oval. Appears to need nothing more than a steaming or re-blocking. Frank

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I think I've seen a Strat go over $400 and way too many Whippets hit that mark. I'm certain that I've seen a 100, 7xCB, and 25 deservedly hit the $500 mark, a few really great Borsos get that high.

buler

I'll Lock Up
If you go back and read very early threads there was a time when Strats were the popular hat to get, like Whippets have been currently. I remember mention of at least one going for over $500.

B

I was watching that Strat too since 7 3/4 vintage sometimes have drawn down to my 7 5/8 & this one was a LO too. I knew it would go up but it did jump high & fast. They are rare in that size & shape & looks to be a demand that may be Loungers too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou