Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Walt

One of the Regulars
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miniature-S...Domain_0&hash=item588f7a0cec&autorefresh=true

Are these cute little hats really that rare and worth $20? I think not since I see others also listed and one photo shows a made in China sticker! It's not a gift hat (or sometimes erroneously listed as a salesman's sample on the bay). I wonder if the Garland outlet store has these? I might be persuaded to pay $5 for one if they have them when I order a discount hat from them...

T Rick

Practically Family
You guys need to remember that the majority of these eBay Sellers are not "hat people", as in, they have no clue on hat sizing. Some don't even realize there is a size to a hat (saw one recently, Seller stated "measures 21 1/2 inches around, so it's a large size hat"... in what universe is that?).

LOL. I saw an ebay listing for a hat that the seller claimed was at 20 inches circumference. I thought that seemed rather small and messaged him to ask him to be sure. He messages back saying it is 22-1/2 inches. MAN did that hat grow!
:)

I got this one in this week. Ad initially stated the opening was 8 x 6.5. Later, in Q&A someone asked them to measure it. 21.5, which puts it at about 6 7/8 (with the 8 x 6.5, the ellipse calculator tells us 22.898, or about a size 7 1/4 to 7 3/8 depending on whose chart you're looking at).

I went for it because it looked to be in decent shape (it is) though was horribly photographed and described (which is why it was such a bargain). Figured I'd take a chance on it and gamble.

I've not measured it yet, but the first set of numbers seem about right. It's definitely too big for me, though a bit of padding would probably make it quite wearable., May pass it on though, as I'd hoped for a bit more brim (hoping for at least 2 1/8, it is right at 2").

HatsEnough, I don't understand why when these people screw up on your shipping, why you don't file a claim with eBay's Buyer Protection? It's a newer system, but I've found it works quite well.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
//BEGIN MY RANT
I know what you mean! I'm a smaller size so the finding isn't a problem (though sometimes the price to win is...) but have after missing too many from not seeing until they are on this thread or a closed search have resorted to "deep-diving" through the listings (as well as doing size searches). Can burn a lot of time doing that. I'm a software engineer so I'm investigating making use of the API's of ebay's SDK to see if I can getter better search results (of course that won't fix wrong size listed, not listed, etc). Looking at their SDK it looks like it is possible to have more options than the ebay web browser provided search options. Also looking into software that is out there to see what it will do (i.e. to see what others may have done with better than the web based searches).

Sometimes I feel like messaging sellers that don't give size info (or ridiculous or vague info) and saying something like...would you buy a friggin' pair of pants or shoes without knowing what the size is!!! (Of course I know there are a few guys out there that don't care about the size and want to put the hat in a display case, but not me---I want to wear them so people will stare at me more than the guy with full body tatoos, piercings and surgical implants to make him look like a lizard!) As DJH says sometimes it can work in the buyers advantage (you would think a seller would not want that but I guess if they are selling a hat they bought for pennies for say $50 they might be thrilled and not think...gee I could have got even more had I had enough brains to figure out and accurately list what the size really is....
//END MY RANT

BTW, I hope you are far enough inland to be away from that storm (though as I type this looks like the winds will be less a problem than flooding)!

That is so true about not having a hat size listed, and beyond that if you ask them and them send you a response, half of the time they still do not update their listing with the measurements. Even though some of those listing may be a good buy if you win at auction, I tend to have my Wife, (as she is the eBayer in the family) refrain from bidding on any auction like that, to stay clear of any problems or issues that may arrive.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Not sure if this is the right spot for a rant of my own that is dealing with eBay but not with a hat purchase, my Wife recently purchased me a very nice Rolex, it was a real bargain until it came time to set the time and wear it...it does not work! The seller said the watch was new never worn and all that, but come to find out the watch is 26 years old and was tossed around within their family for all this time, and thus it is not working. So I have to deal with the refund but the seller has the watch back, and the money. The online eBay resolution center is not all that "consumer friendly" to use, and I am in fear that the seller just may keep the money and the watch and not give a darn about a refund. The seller has 1 more day to issue the refund before eBay will allow the open case against the seller, but there are some issues I really do not fully understand about the buyer protection and if the seller has already dumped the funds out of their pay pal account, I don't know how the money would be refunded to me? Learning experience, don't buy a Rolex on eBay.

HatsEnough

Banned
HatsEnough, I don't understand why when these people screw up on your shipping, why you don't file a claim with eBay's Buyer Protection? It's a newer system, but I've found it works quite well.

I have to say, in all these purchases, I've really only had a half dozen problems and I joined ebay a long time ago. Oddly enough, I've had three of those problems just in the last month or so. I have yet to even try that buyer protection thingie as I've never really had use for it before. I will have to look into it.

easportsracer13

Familiar Face
I bid on a 7 1/2 Dobbs and sometime during the week the seller changed it to a 7 1/4. I didnt notice until i had already won and sent the money....grrr

frussell

One Too Many
I recently got a refund using eBay's Buyer Protection. It took weeks of using the Resolution Center format, but since the sketchy seller never responded, eBay upped it to Buyer Protection status, and had me send the item back to the seller. They even provided me with a free UPS shipping label via email. Within 48 hours of the seller receiving the item back, eBay refunded me my purchase price, minus the original shipping of course. Long procedure, at least a month, but I did get satisfaction. The whole process speeded up once I called the Resolution Center and spoke to a real human being. Frank

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Score!!! First ebay grab.

Resistol "Kitten Finish" Beaver Twenty 5 3/4" x 2 1/2" Cav edge with 22 L shark's gill ribbon and windcord.

n4crad.jpg

More pics in the Resistol Roundup, post #308.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Howdie Gents.....

Been a long time since my last post, hope all is well.

I recently scored this Portis from our favorite auction site and thought I'd share, needs a good cleaning, but it's a beaut

DSC06150.jpg
DSC06149.jpg

DSC06151.jpg
DSC06152.jpg

DSC06153.jpg
DSC06154.jpg

unreeded sweat is in great shape, any ideas as to it's age?

T Rick

Practically Family
I'd consider making a request for a refund based on that...
Certainly. And the Seller would be obligated to comply IMO. If you bid based on information in the ad, and it changes after your bid, it is IMO incumbent on the Seller to see that you are aware of the changes (they have your contact info and could easily notify you, and offer to cancel your bid). Making that argument, I could see eBay ruling in favor of the buyer as the item was not delivered "as substantially described" at the time of the bid.

Interesting one, Alan. Do you think the brim has been trimmed? Something doesn't ring true with the proportions.

No, I don't think so. The hat may be suffering from wide-angle camera phone distortion. The dimensions, liner and paper lining protector are very similar to my Borsalino featherweight with 2" brim. At least I'm hoping so.

featherweight3.jpg

featherweight5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou