Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

HatsEnough

Banned
I'll be discovering that brim width. Size label and leaf in logos makes it mid to later 50's. Liner matches sweat and I would be amazed if it is under 2". There are 1-3/4-2" mode edge Stetsons quite common but all appear a bit smaller than this one. Could be trimmed or covered, but certainly seems well executed.

I'd have been bidding against you if it was a 2-3/8 or more brim, for sure. Can't wait for your analysis on the piece, though. It looks very, very interesting.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
I'll be discovering that brim width. Size label and leaf in logos makes it mid to later 50's. Liner matches sweat and I would be amazed if it is under 2". There are 1-3/4-2" mode edge Stetsons quite common but all appear a bit smaller than this one. Could be trimmed or covered, but certainly seems well executed.

I dropped out when the seller told me it was 1 3/4". To me this looked like an adulterated mode edge.

HatsEnough

Banned
Here is a classic idiot seller's description on his hat...

"No size tag, it fits on my head so will say it is a larger size."

So we are to take this guy's word for the fact that he has a large hat size when he doesn't even offer a guess on the size relative to his own hat size?? Are we expected to just assume he knows what a large hat size even is?

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here

So we are to take this guy's word for the fact that he has a large hat size when he doesn't even offer a guess on the size relative to his own hat size?? Are we expected to just assume he knows what a large hat size even is?

The seller must've known you'd come across it ;) Honestly, HE, I love your rants about the uneducated seller. Keep em' coming

Did you ask the seller for clarification?

chopperama

New in Town
First Ebay Score of any worth was this.

It was listed as a GREY FEDORA STYLE TRILBY HAT. I assume it's a 1940's model based on the "G.A Dunn & Co" on sweatband and "Dunn & Co" on the label in the crown. Perfect at £10.50 all in. My Everyday hat as it goes. It needed a little reshaping (Crown and brim) and a little tidy up but it's all done and better for it!

6285637515_ba87c6cf9e_z.jpg

6286158424_d53699e159_z.jpg

6286157974_25f6ff378e_z.jpg

My most recent Victory was this hat, Described as "Man’s Vintage Black Felt Hat from Dunn & Co". A good score for me at £20 all in. Not sure how to go with this one.... may "Adjust" the crown a bit. But what model hat is it?

6286157642_5a57f4fbce_o.jpg

6285636327_0b0b0900c5_o.jpg

What do you guys think? good deals?

German sellers are the worst when it comes to hats. You're likely to find something like "Black hat! Cool for helloween party! L@@k!!!!!".

And that's it. Well...

I love L@@K!!

The poorly described, badly photographed auctions are my favorite safaris. They require finesse. The perfectly pictured hats are more like slugfests.

I have also had great experiences messaging sellers for additional information. In fact, some of my best FL friendships began with questions asked on an auction item. But I generally like people, too.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
My most recent Victory was this hat, Described as "Man’s Vintage Black Felt Hat from Dunn & Co". A good score for me at £20 all in. Not sure how to go with this one.... may "Adjust" the crown a bit. But what model hat is it?
I'm not sure what you mean by model. To me, it looks like a soft fedora. As such, you may need to crease it.

Welcome to the Lounge!

:yo:

HatsEnough

Banned
Just picked up a size 7-1/8 7X Clear Beaver Open Road-styled Stetson for $41!

The seller did not know it was a clear beaver because the gold ink on the stamp that says xxxxxxx Clear Beaver is worn and can only be read if you look real closely at it.

This one has the black, square size tag so it is between 1960 and 1974.

A pleasing tan color with a nice lighter ribbon treatment. Maybe photos later after I clean it up and get rid of the stupid rancher crease.

Might sell this. Not sure yet.

The felt looks thin and supple on that one... it might be very nice despite being a newer hat. Missing the seven Xs on the liner. Hope it works out for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic