Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

... I WAS suspicious about the shipping fee being only $5. Hindsight being 20/20 I should have asked about it, but it never occurred to me that anyone would stuff 2 hats into a padded envelope. I would have been happy to pay more for shipping if the seller had asked rather than receive them in an envelope.

I've posted this suggestion previously... add a comment with your payment thanking the seller in advance for careful packaging and shipping. I find it helps.

cheers,
Alan

Iyor

One of the Regulars
I've posted this suggestion previously... add a comment with your payment thanking the seller in advance for careful packaging and shipping. I find it helps.

cheers,
Alan

Me too. Since I had an issue once I always ask the seller to please package securely and I always get a positive reply.

The only thing I would add is to make special note with very light color hats. I've twice had sellers use crumpled newspaper without wrapping the hat first in tissue or plastic. If the newspaper is the NY Times, it makes quite a mess.

mattface

Practically Family
:mad:I literally want to cry right now. Why would somebody DO something like this to a beautiful vintage Panama? It was a really lovely hat, now it's garbage, all because some guy wanted to save $2 on shipping. I am so furious I don't know what to do.

It's been a VERY bad week for stupidly packed crushed hats. THere is no steaming this one out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/27084686238...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648#ht_500wt_1212
you can see what it originally looked like before he jammed a nice tall crown into a 3.5" tall box! The thing was beautiful too. Nice fine weave. finer than anything I've ever had anyway, and the sweat is pristine. looks like the hat was probably never even worn. What a tragic waste. OK now I cry

Last edited:

4spurs

One of the Regulars
Send it back and demand a full refund including your shipping, and if they give you any BS about it file a complaint with eBay and they will resolve it in your favor after taking a look at these photos, be certain to use the listing photos as "before" photos and your photos as the "after" photos.

mattface

Practically Family
Send it back and demand a full refund including your shipping, and if they give you any BS about it file a complaint with eBay and they will resolve it in your favor after taking a look at these photos, be certain to use the listing photos as "before" photos and your photos as the "after" photos.

I'm way ahead of you. first thing I did after pulling it out of the box was take those pictures. the second thing was to email the seller demanding a full refund. Even when I get my full refund though it won't take away the heartbreak of seeing what happened to this hat.

mattface

Practically Family
So the seller refunded my money, and did not ask for the hat back. I steamed it out, and I'm not sure if that doesn't just make me more sad. It fits perfectly, and it bounced back to shape pretty well. I just wish there was an undo button for those holes. I guess I'll try to repair them rather than throw it out. Does anyone have any recommendations for patching a hole like this so that it looks fairly good? I'm thinking maybe rubber cement along the tear, and some thin cotton glued on the back side to hold it together. Panama Bob says on his website that he can do a weave repair. It just seems such a horrible shame not to do something with it.

Last edited:
That is such a shame... sorry to see it.

My suggestion would be to get a roll of 2" clear PVC packing tape. I would suggest this type over the more common poly packing tape... stronger adhesive and more flexible when conforming to the shape of the repair. Form the weave back into place and apply a piece of tape on the inside of the hat, pressing firmly from both sides to get the adhesive bonded to the surface of the straw. It will hold well and if you align the broken ends of the weave carefully, can make an almost invisible repair. It's not a terrible thing to have a working straw hat for the hot sweaty days of summer.

If you are interested and have trouble sourcing the tape, send me a message. We use this at work and I should be able to find you a partial roll.

good luck!
Alan

mattface

Practically Family
That is such a shame... sorry to see it.

My suggestion would be to get a roll of 2" clear PVC packing tape. I would suggest this type over the more common poly packing tape... stronger adhesive and more flexible when conforming to the shape of the repair. Form the weave back into place and apply a piece of tape on the inside of the hat, pressing firmly from both sides to get the adhesive bonded to the surface of the straw. It will hold well and if you align the broken ends of the weave carefully, can make an almost invisible repair. It's not a terrible thing to have a working straw hat for the hot sweaty days of summer.

If you are interested and have trouble sourcing the tape, send me a message. We use this at work and I should be able to find you a partial roll.

good luck!
Alan

Thanks Alan, I think I'm going to try fabric rather than tape if I try to patch it. I might just salvage the pug and the sweat, and get rid of the body so it doesn't make me sad every time I look at it. Your suggestion did make me wonder about something though. I've got some old hat boxes in need of taping, and I'm wondering if the PVC tape would be a better choice than the more common stuff.

T Rick

Practically Family
Someone outbid me on this potential Stratoliner pin, but this one came in the mail a few days ago. Anyone here get the other? (And does the one I got look like the same pin to you? Has no paint on it, but looks nice).

T Rick

Practically Family
Thanks Alan, I think I'm going to try fabric rather than tape if I try to patch it. I might just salvage the pug and the sweat, and get rid of the body so it doesn't make me sad every time I look at it. Your suggestion did make me wonder about something though. I've got some old hat boxes in need of taping, and I'm wondering if the PVC tape would be a better choice than the more common stuff.

Any glue you use on the cloth is liable to bleed through and show I think, and rubber cement on the outside will look horrible. I'd suggest contacting Bob and emailing him the pics. If he can do a weave repair, that's probably your best bet. Otherwise, I'd go with the tape of some sort (the linen which is a cloth product sounds promising if it has strong adhesion). If it doesn't work, the clear PVC tape Alan mentions sounds the ticket.

Whatever way you go, sorry it came in like that. I've only had a couple come in scrunched up so far, and they weren't straws. Still very saddening.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Fuzzy felt self-ribbon unlined Knox Superfine

some strange but low bidding. Looks like some under-band padding.
$(KGrHqJ,!k4E6FGTy7DEBOty6k5+Y!~~60_3.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330638188163#ht_4675wt_1398

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou