Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

TomS

One Too Many
Hi Folks:

I have to share my story. I just received the BIGGEST piece of junk I've ever purchased on the bay. I'm actually sitting here laughing at this poor hat; Its probably the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. The auction listing, 140748754216 indicated it was "nice and clean". Oh, but if only the extensive moth damage had been mentioned...LMAO! If only the seller indicated that the very attractive green feather was camoflaging what had obviously been a feast for a great number of moths...lmao!! If only the photos captured the hole all the way through the front of the brim, or the broken felt near the back of the hat!! I'm actually thinking of keeping the thing for the comedic value it offers. It might be fun to post pictures here on the forum once in a while so everyone can get a good laugh!!!!

I hope you all enjoyed my sad tale. I guess you cant win them all!!!!

Be Well and Beware,
TomS

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I have to share my story. I just received the BIGGEST piece of junk I've ever purchased on the bay. I'm actually sitting here laughing at this poor hat; Its probably the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. The auction listing, 140748754216 indicated it was "nice and clean". Oh, but if only the extensive moth damage had been mentioned...LMAO!

I can see quite a few moth bites in the auction photos. But I agree that the bites (and any other) damage should have been mentioned in the description. Did you write to the seller that you are not happy with the hat? Maybe you can return it for a refund.

TomS

One Too Many
I can see quite a few moth bites in the auction photos. But I agree that the bites (and any other) damage should have been mentioned in the description. Did you write to the seller that you are not happy with the hat? Maybe you can return it for a refund.

I'm not expecting too much...lol. Having said that, the thing is kind of funny.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Bummer, Tom. Personally, I'd send it back for a full refund. Should you decide to keep it, though, be sure to stick it in the freezer for awhile before letting it out to play among your other hats.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Hi Folks:

I have to share my story. I just received the BIGGEST piece of junk I've ever purchased on the bay. I'm actually sitting here laughing at this poor hat; Its probably the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. The auction listing, 140748754216 indicated it was "nice and clean". Oh, but if only the extensive moth damage had been mentioned...LMAO! If only the seller indicated that the very attractive green feather was camoflaging what had obviously been a feast for a great number of moths...lmao!! If only the photos captured the hole all the way through the front of the brim, or the broken felt near the back of the hat!! I'm actually thinking of keeping the thing for the comedic value it offers. It might be fun to post pictures here on the forum once in a while so everyone can get a good laugh!!!!

Be Well and Beware,
TomS

Ebay and paypal back the buyer much more than the seller. If the seller won't take a return, then open a dispute. You'll be fine.

B

dnjan

One Too Many
Save it for halloween. Stuff some straw (or whatever) in some of the larger moth holes.

There are plenty of additional accessories you could add to continue the theme. You could even make it political!
That could be especially effective, with halloween just a bit before the election.

TomS

One Too Many
Save it for halloween. Stuff some straw (or whatever) in some of the larger moth holes.

There are plenty of additional accessories you could add to continue the theme. You could even make it political!
That could be especially effective, with halloween just a bit before the election.

Now, thats a good idea!!

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My correspondence with Columbia Sportswear

ColumbiaSportshat.jpg

Dear Columbia Sportswear,
I have recently bought a fine vintage pure fur felt brimmed hat in the Western/Digger style labeled "Columbia Sportswear".

It is an unlined hat with a 3" raw brim & 5.5" crown, made of very tough fur felt. The real leather sweatband is backed by a cellulose fabric vapor barrier.

The crown has three grommets or eyelets on each side & the brim has a single eyelet & button on the left side to hold it to the crown in the Aussie style.

Have you any idea from when in your history such an item might date?

Thank you very much for any info.

RB in Tennessee

From: Columbia Sportswear Customer Care <columbia@custhelp.com>
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 10:26 AM
Subject: I have recently bought a fine vintage pure fur felt brimmed hat in the Western/D [Incident: 120515-000695]

Subject
I have recently bought a fine vintage pure fur felt brimmed hat in the Western/D

Discussion Thread
Response (Taylor) 05/16/2012 07:26 AM
Hello,
Thank you for contacting Columbia Sportswear. This is certainly an interesting item that does appear to date back quite a few years, and regretfully with the description provided, we are unable to exactly identify the hat, however if you do see a tag on the inside of the hat with a 4 digit style number (e.g. 2913 or 9478) this would help us identify the hat, or if you are able to take a few pictures, and attach them to a reply to this email, we can dig around and find more information about the hat.

This hat certainly has us intrigued, and let us know if you have any additional questions, or if we can be of further assistance.

Regards,

Taylor
Customer Care
Columbia Sportswear
05/15/2012 07:45 PM

Taylor,

Thank you for your kind attention to my question. A picture being worth 1,000 words- please see the attached.

columbiahatr.jpg
columbiahatl.jpg
columbiahatfnt.jpg
columbiahatband2.jpg
Columbiaband1.jpg

Knowing you are a 70 yr. old concern leads me to hope this may be of some age. The workmanship & materials sure seem top shelf. On par with any Stetson, A&F or Willis & Geiger of the period.

The cellulose barrier behind the leather sweat is rather "old school" even for that far away year of 1960, when the dinosaurs were in black & white. LOL

As the name on the hat reflects the c. 1960 name change- I guess it is no more than 50 yrs or so, as is its' owner.

Anything you might subsequently find out about this item, I would be quite interested in learning.

Thanks again, ya'll are the best!

RB

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab

Mystic

Practically Family
Hi Folks:

Be Well and Beware,
TomS

I ask about moth bites AND holes on any and every hat I'm considering bidding on even if there is a lot of photos.

I want to give the seller an opportunity to answer the question directly. If there is some mothing, I want them to describe it to me. If they don't want to return my question with an answer I don't bid, no matter what the hat may look like.

Getting a refund is OK.......but, I really dislike paying return shipping and having nothing but an experience for my money. shakeshead

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany